3 row vehicles 2000ish up

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I will ask about this. She specifically mentioned that it was to 100k.

For a second owner, the Kia warranty is 60K.

If it is not a done deal, it might be worth rethinking. It will not seat 7 comfortably: a 16yo boy is pretty much adult size and your son will be there in a few years as well.

ADS

tl01

If you choose to go somewhere else to buy... Take their quote for your car with you... And have the next dealer match or give you more.

littleangelfire

So frustrated right now. I get this is difficult and frankly may not work at all. We went in saying "we know it isn't likely but.." and they give us hope, tell us we're all good, TWO different dealerships, and then treat us like idiots when the numbers come back and it's not possible. I don't get it. Yesterday a Mitsubishi dealership told us to come in, he was sure he could do it. I explained every detail saying, I don't know how you think these numbers are going to squish to work. He said come in. We drove 20 mins in rush hour to get there for them to waste 30 mins of our time just to say, this isn't going to work, your'e upside down. DUH! I said that, and gave you numbers!

This morning I spoke with the salespeson we started things with last night for the Rondo. It's her day off, something she failed to mention. But she had come in for something so I spoke with her, she said she'd turn int he papers to the finance guy and get back with me. Five hours later I'm past thinking I don't want to bug her and I call.She was long gone, left right after our conversation. The finance guy was downright rude and pulled the 'we can't go any lower on this vehicle, we're only making $500 as it is, you want us to make nothing?" Whatever. They've got it priced $600 over what both NADA & KBB say it should be and the salesperson said we were getting some money off. Finance guy says no and starts talking about money down. Um no.

Again, I'm not mad it didn't work. I'm mad they led us through this waste of time and got our hopes up and it didn't work. We never had a chance, they just all figure once they have us starting the process we'll finish no matter how much it costs. So forget them. I went to our bank, it's who we have both car loans with anyway. She took down info, confirmed dealer was asking too much for the Rondo, and is seeing if/what we can get approved for and told us to go by NADA for cost and we can borrow 110% of that value. Blah. Not too many Rondos out there either. There's a broken one 2 hours away on eBay for $200, lol. But on telling how broken or what's broke.

littleangelfire

Sorry that you're dealing with frustrating people. :(

Thank you. It's doubly scary after the fiasco we went through tagging DH's car in December b/c the dealer we bought it from didn't pay their bank for the car so we couldn't get the title. I don't understand why the car industry has to be so shady! And it stinks that we really really like the Rondo and it seems reachable for us even now price wise, but there's not many of them. Kind of like liking Mazda5s, lol.
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

natysr

Often times people have more spending ability than they budget for. People frequently budget conservatively.

Car dealers know this. They try to use emotional attachment a customer has to a vehicle, combined with the long exhausting process, lack of food, tiredness etc. to get people to commit to a sale that gets them the most money in their pockets.

Cars are expensive! There really rarely is a "set price". There is always negotiation and every customer wants the rock bottom price.

The other side of the coin, is that many car salesmen work strictly on commission. They don't get an hourly wage or salary. They also have bills to pay.

Buying a car at the beginning of the month is the worst thing to do. That sales guy has all month to meet his goal.

The last few days of the month (and even better the last few days of the quarter) are times when you are likely to get better deals.

The most important thing it to maintain an attitude at all times that they need you, more than you need them.

Also you have to be emotionally detached from these vehicles. I know they are huge purchases and we all want to have something we like, especially when we fork out so much money. But the key word in that sentence is WANT.

You have to look at what you NEED, #1.

I know you are disappointed that your Versa decreased in value so quickly. Remember, it won't continue to depreciate at that rate. Cars depreciate quickly the first few years, and then things plateau for a bit.

Have you spoken with the medical providers before they send those things to collections? Often many things can be written off, and those that can't, they can set up payment plans that can keep it from hitting your credit.

I know sometimes you have to get really creative when in a really tough financial spot. Just try not to dig your hole deeper in the process.

If this didn't go through, try to look at it as a sign that it wasn't meant to be.

littleangelfire

Often times people have more spending ability than they budget for. People frequently budget conservatively.

Car dealers know this. They try to use emotional attachment a customer has to a vehicle, combined with the long exhausting process, lack of food, tiredness etc. to get people to commit to a sale that gets them the most money in their pockets.

Cars are expensive! There really rarely is a "set price". There is always negotiation and every customer wants the rock bottom price.

The other side of the coin, is that many car salesmen work strictly on commission. They don't get an hourly wage or salary. They also have bills to pay.

Buying a car at the beginning of the month is the worst thing to do. That sales guy has all month to meet his goal.

The last few days of the month (and even better the last few days of the quarter) are times when you are likely to get better deals.

The most important thing it to maintain an attitude at all times that they need you, more than you need them.

Also you have to be emotionally detached from these vehicles. I know they are huge purchases and we all want to have something we like, especially when we fork out so much money. But the key word in that sentence is WANT.

You have to look at what you NEED, #1.

I know you are disappointed that your Versa decreased in value so quickly. Remember, it won't continue to depreciate at that rate. Cars depreciate quickly the first few years, and then things plateau for a bit.

Have you spoken with the medical providers before they send those things to collections? Often many things can be written off, and those that can't, they can set up payment plans that can keep it from hitting your credit.

I know sometimes you have to get really creative when in a really tough financial spot. Just try not to dig your hole deeper in the process.

If this didn't go through, try to look at it as a sign that it wasn't meant to be.

We are budgeting conservatively, but we're definitely not moving! I sent in financial aid stuff to the medical providers and never heard back so I sent it in again this week.This didn't go through, but no I don't take it as a sign not meant to be, just that for whatever reason car dealers find it difficult to be honest. Perhaps that one isn't a good idea to get if the dealer is giving us the runaround like this. But there are others. There's one with pretty high miles, but the price is right. We would have a lower payment than we have now, which could possibly mean being able to save for repairs since it is high miles. I don't know. I'd be more comfortable buying a Honda or Toyota with high mile.s I'm unsure of Kia. And I didn't buy the Versa new, it was already 4 years old when I bought it, so that kind of depreciation blows me out of the water. It is definitely not a vehicle we're going to have till it dies, so it does matter that it's going down so fast. DH's car we'll likely keep till it just won't go anymore, so we don't really care. But it's a Toyota and will hold its value better anyway.

tl01

We are budgeting conservatively, but we're definitely not moving! I sent in financial aid stuff to the medical providers and never heard back so I sent it in again this week.This didn't go through, but no I don't take it as a sign not meant to be, just that for whatever reason car dealers find it difficult to be honest. Perhaps that one isn't a good idea to get if the dealer is giving us the runaround like this. But there are others. There's one with pretty high miles, but the price is right. We would have a lower payment than we have now, which could possibly mean being able to save for repairs since it is high miles. I don't know. I'd be more comfortable buying a Honda or Toyota with high mile.s I'm unsure of Kia. And I didn't buy the Versa new, it was already 4 years old when I bought it, so that kind of depreciation blows me out of the water. It is definitely not a vehicle we're going to have till it dies, so it does matter that it's going down so fast. DH's car we'll likely keep till it just won't go anymore, so we don't really care. But it's a Toyota and will hold its value better anyway.

Maybe the dealer was shady... I don't know... I wasn't there and I don't have all the details of the transaction. But just because they gave you hope it would work and it didn't... Doesn't mean they are shady. The sales person is trying to put a deal together. They make nothing if nothing happens. Of course they want you to try to buy it. But big purchases are complicated and sometimes lenders make decisions that surprise both the dealer and the buyer. They have to arrange the financing for you... And maybe they thought it was doable but in the end no lender would take the deal. That doesn't make them evil or wrong. Sometimes it is the debt to income ratio... Sometimes it is credit score issues... Sometimes it is the value of the vehicle and when you are rolling in negative equity that really complicates things.

From someone with a lot of dealer experience (since my fam has one) I will tell you that people come in all the time and give a runaround story or neglect to mention things on their credit app etc... And then when it goes to the finance person... Things appear and the deal doesn't work out. Dealers get screwed all the time. Sometimes the deal looks good and they let the person buy a car and take it home for a weekend and then bank rejects it later and now the dealer is stuck with a used car that they can't sell as new. Being a dealer isn't an easy position at all. Maybe the sales person had put together a similar deal recently and she thought it wouldn't be an issue. Maybe she thought that if it was close that you would be able to come up with a little extra to pay down the negative equity etc. With negative equity... It is a big risk to the lender bc there's nothing securing that part of a the loan. Even if they repossess the car they still lose that money. Getting an unsecured loan from a bank is next to impossible.

katymyers

Maybe the dealer was shady... I don't know... I wasn't there and I don't have all the details of the transaction. But just because they gave you hope it would work and it didn't... Doesn't mean they are shady. The sales person is trying to put a deal together. They make nothing if nothing happens. Of course they want you to try to buy it. But big purchases are complicated and sometimes lenders make decisions that surprise both the dealer and the buyer. They have to arrange the financing for you... And maybe they thought it was doable but in the end no lender would take the deal. That doesn't make them evil or wrong. Sometimes it is the debt to income ratio... Sometimes it is credit score issues... Sometimes it is the value of the vehicle and when you are rolling in negative equity that really complicates things. From someone with a lot of dealer experience (since my fam has one) I will tell you that people come in all the time and give a runaround story or neglect to mention things on their credit app etc... And then when it goes to the finance person... Things appear and the deal doesn't work out. Dealers get screwed all the time. Sometimes the deal looks good and they let the person buy a car and take it home for a weekend and then bank rejects it later and now the dealer is stuck with a used car that they can't sell as new. Being a dealer isn't an easy position at all. Maybe the sales person had put together a similar deal recently and she thought it wouldn't be an issue. Maybe she thought that if it was close that you would be able to come up with a little extra to pay down the negative equity etc. With negative equity... It is a big risk to the lender bc there's nothing securing that part of a the loan. Even if they repossess the car they still lose that money. Getting an unsecured loan from a bank is next to impossible.
:yeahthat: Josh worked in the car industry for years, besides the army and working for my dad is the only thing he's ever done and his dad has been in the car industry for more than 30 years. While I totally won't argue that shady, dirty, downright slimy dealers absolutely do exist, most of the time you've just got people who's only income depends on them selling you something. They're just people who at the end of the day have to pay bills and feed their families just like you do. MOST, if not all, car salesman will at least try to put a deal through, even if it seems far fetched. It can be hard to predict if a bank will or will not accept a deal and for them, if they at least try to make something work that gives them a better chance at possibly earning some money rather than not trying at all and definitely not making any money. It's a hard way to make a living.

littleangelfire

I dated a car salesman, I get those parts. But I also know the difference between what happened and what would've happened at the dealership I've bought ny last three cars from and ny mom bought her last four. They're honest and they would've straight up said these numbers aren't gong to work but let's see if we can find you something that will.

No matter, we have our own financing from the bank. I just have to find something $7500ish and our payment will be the same as it is now or less. There's a few rondos we're seeing about.

littleangelfire

Hopeful one of the few we're going all over town to look at today will work! Getting runaround from one guy, but we'd like to see his dealership's Rondo first b/c they're closest to us. But when I ask how much and other details he keeps saying it's not ready, is there something else that will work until then. Really? Like...we;re goign to purchase another car while we wait for the Rondo and then somehow get the Rondo? I said no, I explicitly explained we want the Rondo. HE said but there are other 3 row vehicles, let's look at those. Um NO. We're fully aware there are other 3 row vehicles, lots of them in fact, what does that matter when we're specifically asking to see the Rondo? If it's not available, all righty, just say so.

littleangelfire

WE are the now almost proud, lol, new owners of a 2006 eight passenger Sienna LE. :p Thanks for all the van encouragers, it put the thought in my head and the more I thought about it the more sense it made, really, my hold out was looks or rather how I feel and in this case that's stupid. Form over function. And then we saw this today at the dealer I mentioned before that I've been buying cars from since my first one, as has my mom and several friends we referred there. The sales guy we usually work with has actually retired but they were still great, the've been around 40+ years, known for being honest, really go over their vehicles. I didn't think we'd be able to afford anything there, and this was marked slightly out of price range but b/c of my history with them they really gave a lot in price, over $2k, and gave me almost KBB for my trade which minimized the upside down-ness. It's silver. Higher miles, 114k, but for a Toyota we're OK with that, DH's car had similar mileage when we bought it.

I am going to love having the gas door back on the driver side again. After two years I still wasn't used to that in my Versa. The cargo area is huge, fits the giant Britax Vigour we have. Now just to decide where to instlal baby's seat. For now it's behind the driver b/c that's what was easiest as it was past his bedtime and we needed to get home. We have no payment until 10/21 which is awesome b/c it'll let us put it aside and just stay ahead of it. No money down, hadn't paid my other car payment this month either. And similar payment to what we had before.

katymyers

Yay! I'm so glad you guys found something! You really will like a minivan, I promise :p. My first one wasn't nearly as cool as yours and I still fell in love with it. Enjoy your new car :love:

lgenne

Woohoo! I'll echo the others: you'll learn to love a minivan. I saw a Kia Rondo on the road the other day (while driving my Mazda 5) and couldn't imagine actually fitting 7 people into it. 6 in the Mazda 5 is tight enough, and the Rondo is smaller, or at least appeared to be.

littleangelfire

That's great. I'm glad you fell into a good vehicle that fits your needs.

LOL fell is right. We had gone to 2-3 other dealers yesterday and DH was so over it. Baby was screaming b/c he hates being in the car. I checked the dealer page just out of curiosity, and it was literally the cheapest thing they had on the lot, and they were going to close in 30 mins. It's actually a really good thing that it's saving us so much money this month. To be able to breath just a little bit is awesome. And should help us keep on top of other things we were falling behind on.

Woohoo! I'll echo the others: you'll learn to love a minivan. I saw a Kia Rondo on the road the other day (while driving my Mazda 5) and couldn't imagine actually fitting 7 people into it. 6 in the Mazda 5 is tight enough, and the Rondo is smaller, or at least appeared to be.

I really really wanted the Rondo. Though very nervous about owning a Kia. But that 3rd row was pointless. If you put the middle row forward to have leg room in the 3rd row, the middle row was useless. If you put the 2nd row back, the 3rd row was useless. :eyeroll: of course, for all I know the 2nd row was broke somehow, it really seemed it should have more positions than 2. And it had even less room behind the 3rd row than a Mazda5! There would've been no going anywhere with all of us and a stroller. Not that baby is in it much, but his stuff is, lol. But as much as it feels really weird to have a van I'm much more comfortable having a Toyota.

I keep going out to look at it. lol It's weird. I curb checked several times driving it, just bigger than what I'm used to!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC