3 row vehicles 2000ish up

ADS

cso1997

They were sold in the US but I thought they stopped making them in 2009. Hope it works out for you. Sounds like a tough spot.

littleangelfire

They were sold in the US but I thought they stopped making them in 2009. Hope it works out for you. Sounds like a tough spot.

They were definitely sold in the US. It's a 2010, she said it was the last year made in US though some sites imply they're making them here again now. I will confirm its origin though and we can look up its history

Dillipop

We considered a rondo when we bought our minivan. I honk it's an ideal rxchange for you. I wish the is would start making more vehicles like this.

littleangelfire

We considered a rondo when we bought our minivan. I honk it's an ideal rxchange for you. I wish the is would start making more vehicles like this.

I really like hearing this, somehow I'm a car snot. I've always driven Honda until I bought the car I have, and while I like the features of the car (Nissan Versa) I don't actually like the car and how it drives much. In fact I hate how it drives. It's got incredibly short gears and doesn't shift as easy as most cars. But it's still a reliable car that I thought would hold its value because it's Nissan. I've always considered Kia and Hyundai off-brand :eek:. So if this goes through twill be a humbling experience both having to lose my manual transmission and my own personal stigma against the brand. I have no idea what resale value is. Beggars can't be choosers and all. And we'll be way upside down on this one for a while. I've heard good things all these years about Kia and Hyundai's warranty, so that's something. I think I'm a bit hard to please in the car department. I wouldn't have wanted domestic either, though I assumed that's what we'd end up with when we started looking, just b/c of prices.

And I agree, US totally needs more cars like this. What's ridiculous is a few years ago when I first learned of the Mazda5 I looked online and pretty much all brands have an equivalent overseas. The sedans over there even seat 6, 3 across front and back. We need more gas conscious vehicles here, for financial and environmental sake. And the Mazda5 still seems so popular they can't hardly keep them in stock, and there's not tons of used ones around, seems if the other brands sold similar models here they'd sell just as well, or better. I'd be all over one made by Honda if I had the ability to pay for it. I figured my next car would be a Honda, and they do have an Odyssey we could make work, but all that space seems wasted to me when it's just me and 2 kids during the day, though I don't drive a ton and when I do I genearlly am not going far.
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

tl01

I really like hearing this, somehow I'm a car snot. I've always driven Honda until I bought the car I have, and while I like the features of the car (Nissan Versa) I don't actually like the car and how it drives much. In fact I hate how it drives. It's got incredibly short gears and doesn't shift as easy as most cars. But it's still a reliable car that I thought would hold its value because it's Nissan. I've always considered Kia and Hyundai off-brand :eek:. So if this goes through twill be a humbling experience both having to lose my manual transmission and my own personal stigma against the brand. I have no idea what resale value is. Beggars can't be choosers and all. And we'll be way upside down on this one for a while. I've heard good things all these years about Kia and Hyundai's warranty, so that's something. I think I'm a bit hard to please in the car department. I wouldn't have wanted domestic either, though I assumed that's what we'd end up with when we started looking, just b/c of prices.

And I agree, US totally needs more cars like this. What's ridiculous is a few years ago when I first learned of the Mazda5 I looked online and pretty much all brands have an equivalent overseas. The sedans over there even seat 6, 3 across front and back. We need more gas conscious vehicles here, for financial and environmental sake. And the Mazda5 still seems so popular they can't hardly keep them in stock, and there's not tons of used ones around, seems if the other brands sold similar models here they'd sell just as well, or better. I'd be all over one made by Honda if I had the ability to pay for it. I figured my next car would be a Honda, and they do have an Odyssey we could make work, but all that space seems wasted to me when it's just me and 2 kids during the day, though I don't drive a ton and when I do I genearlly am not going far.

I think the rondo was sold until 2010. The Mazda 5... They just don't make many of them. Mazda has thought about discontinuing it. It just doesn't sell well. They only sold a little over 700 units last month in the US.

There are some Sedans sold here that do have 6 seats... The Avalon was availed with 6, the impala at some point... Various Cadillacs. I'm trying to think of which cars overseas have 3 across the front to help think if similar cars here... I can't think of any immediately. Honda does make a small version of the odyssey abroad but I think the focus groups have shown that the full size ody is more popular.

littleangelfire

I think the rondo was sold until 2010. The Mazda 5... They just don't make many of them. Mazda has thought about discontinuing it. It just doesn't sell well. They only sold a little over 700 units last month in the US.

There are some Sedans sold here that do have 6 seats... The Avalon was availed with 6, the impala at some point... Various Cadillacs. I'm trying to think of which cars overseas have 3 across the front to help think if similar cars here... I can't think of any immediately. Honda does make a small version of the odyssey abroad but I think the focus groups have shown that the full size ody is more popular.

Yeah but they need to put us in the focus groups! lol IF we had to get a van, I'd prefer Odyssey or Sienna, I'd consider a Quest. But for now I think this works better. When we get to the point where every ride is me + a few more kids then I think we'll have to move to a full size van. I didn't know the Avalon had 6 at some point, my friend has one and it doesn't. BOth DH and I vehemently dislike Cadillacs. I looked at a bunch of pictures, I konw Honda had a sedan overseas that had 3 across the front, but the only model name I remember is FR5 and I believe that was the CRV similar one? But I'm not sure it was 3-4 years ago I looked it up.

vtbecca

Yeah but they need to put us in the focus groups! lol IF we had to get a van, I'd prefer Odyssey or Sienna, I'd consider a Quest. But for now I think this works better. When we get to the point where every ride is me + a few more kids then I think we'll have to move to a full size van. I didn't know the Avalon had 6 at some point, my friend has one and it doesn't. BOth DH and I vehemently dislike Cadillacs. I looked at a bunch of pictures, I konw Honda had a sedan overseas that had 3 across the front, but the only model name I remember is FR5 and I believe that was the CRV similar one? But I'm not sure it was 3-4 years ago I looked it up.

I would LOVE to have a smaller minivan type vehicle. I love my Sienna, but it is big. Now that I don't have kids in carseats anymore we don't NEED a vehicle that big, but with 3 growing boys it is nice to have an extra row to spread them out. I much prefer driving our Outback, it handles better and feels like a reasonable size to me. It's funny because I didn't think of our van as huge, but it sure feels that way now that we have a smaller car that I like to drive. Hopefully in the next few years there will be more options that are fuel efficient, compact, AND seat 6-7 people!

tl01

I would LOVE to have a smaller minivan type vehicle. I love my Sienna, but it is big. Now that I don't have kids in carseats anymore we don't NEED a vehicle that big, but with 3 growing boys it is nice to have an extra row to spread them out. I much prefer driving our Outback, it handles better and feels like a reasonable size to me. It's funny because I didn't think of our van as huge, but it sure feels that way now that we have a smaller car that I like to drive. Hopefully in the next few years there will be more options that are fuel efficient, compact, AND seat 6-7 people!

I don't think of my odyssey as huge. I think the space is well used. It certainly isn't a small car, but the space sure comes in handy frequently enough for us. We only have two kids but sometimes carpool or take a friend. Sure if I drive a sports car... Then going back to the van there's a difference but overall day to day it if a perfect size.

tl01

I have been hoping and pleading for Mercedes to make a minivan. Something with some style... And my brother said their focus groups show that their buyer won't drive a minivan even if it is stylish simply bc it is a minivan. I keep hoping someone will include me in the minivan focus group but it never happens. I can see that in many areas... The buyers seem to stray from minivans in favor of big fancy SUVs so maybe these focus groups are pretty accurate?

sunnydayz

I think the Rondo is a great car and would suit your current needs perfectly! I remember when it was in the US market.

I guess my only concern outside taking on additional negative equity, is the potential for your family to outgrow this car before being able to upsize. If you're in the not preventing pregnancy camp, you could potentially outgrow this car very quickly, and be in a worse negative equity position than you are now. I would carefully consider going with a full sized or mini van if you are planning a large family.

tl01

I think the Rondo is a great car and would suit your current needs perfectly! I remember when it was in the US market.

I guess my only concern outside taking on additional negative equity, is the potential for your family to outgrow this car before being able to upsize. If you're in the not preventing pregnancy camp, you could potentially outgrow this car very quickly, and be in a worse negative equity position than you are now. I would carefully consider going with a full sized or mini van if you are planning a large family.

I totally agree with this! One purchase is usually cheaper than two and if you are starting with negative equity you may end up even more stuck and then needing more space.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
It isn't sold in the US.

It was, for a few years. It's built on the Kia Optima platform, so it's extremely compact for a 7-seater.

OP, I'm glad you got something you're happy with. If you are extremely upside-down with equity, see if you can purchase GAP insurance. I don't know if that's possible if you start out underwater.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
It isn't sold in the US.

It's not available as a new model anymore, but the Rondo was previously available in the U.S. as a 2007-2010 model. http://www.cars.com/kia/rondo/ I see them occasionally on the road around here, about as frequently/infrequently as I see the Mazda5 on the road. :)

A significant drawback to the Rondo over a Mazda5 6-passeger model, or a Kia Sedona or other 7-passenger minivan for transporting a vehicle full of passengers, is that the 5 and minivan models have second row captain's chairs and rear sliding doors vs. the Rondo's second row bench seating and non-sliding, regular/hinged rear doors. I'd expect third row access to be accordingly more of a challenge in the Rondo, something to factor in if you're counting on that third row for regular use and/or a carseat installation right now or for a future baby. The third row may possibly be more readily accessible from the rear cargo area in the Rondo, and it's something to experiment with thoroughly before deciding IMHO if this needs to be a long term, cover all the potential bases vehicle.:twocents: On the perception of minivans as huge/awkward to drive, FWIW, although it had a larger footprint/overall dimensions than my previously owned small SUV, a 2003 Saturn Vue, I did find my 2005 Sienna to be comparatively easier to park with a smaller turning circle than the Vue.

katymyers

I know someone who drives a Rondo and really likes it, but her and her DH don't have any kids yet. Cargo space is practically nonexistent, it was less than my Mazda5 had, for that reason she never had the third row up. Also, the third row access was a joke. I wouldn't want to have to deal with that on a daily or even just weekly basis, it would get tiring. I got my first minivan when I only had two kids despite being opposed to it at first, you really can't beat the convenience and ease if you have kids. Having sliding doors is soooo nice for easy access and getting littles in and out of car seats. The cargo space is fantastic, you can go to the grocery store once a week and get everything you need and just be done. You can fold up and take seats out if you need to haul big things like furniture, gardening supplies, lumber, you name it! In terms of safety minivans are often times very safe vehicles compared to other vehicles with similar seating capabilities. I totally get wanting a fun vehicle, I just turned 24 for crying out loud, but at a certain point you have to suck it up and do what's best for your family. If you're really willing to put yourselves in such a precarious financial situation with a vehicle, getting something that will make sense LONG term will be your best choice. You could get pregnant in a month for all you know and all of the sudden outgrow that vehicle and be completely stuck with it.

jjordan

FYI, since you mentioned the warranty, when we got our Kia used, the warranty is only 60k miles (compared to 100k miles if bought new).

littleangelfire

Yeah, it's something I've thought about. Luckily unless something drastic happens, stepson is here every other week, so though it's a factor in feeling we need a seat for him, he doesn't utilize it all the time. And the teen that's moving in with us, he's 16, he will be with us likely most the time, but in a few years he likely won't be. I can't completely count on that, of course, but getting the 7 means we ought to be good for at least a few years, I believe, unless twins or something unexpected happens like that. Then I don't know what. lol But it shouldn't be an issue for at least a few years and we hope that our situation also improves during that time, hopefully making us able to pay extra to pay it down. And the Kia was a good price, plus getting a discount, so we're not as upside down as we could have been. About $1,500, I think? So I don't think it should take TOO awfully long to make it to where we're in a more comfortable spot with it.

It's not available as a new model anymore, but the Rondo was previously available in the U.S. as a 2007-2010 model. http://www.cars.com/kia/rondo/ I see them occasionally on the road around here, about as frequently/infrequently as I see the Mazda5 on the road. :)

A significant drawback to the Rondo over a Mazda5 6-passeger model, or a Kia Sedona or other 7-passenger minivan for transporting a vehicle full of passengers, is that the 5 and minivan models have second row captain's chairs and rear sliding doors vs. the Rondo's second row bench seating and non-sliding, regular/hinged rear doors. I'd expect third row access to be accordingly more of a challenge in the Rondo, something to factor in if you're counting on that third row for regular use and/or a carseat installation right now or for a future baby. The third row may possibly be more readily accessible from the rear cargo area in the Rondo, and it's something to experiment with thoroughly before deciding IMHO if this needs to be a long term, cover all the potential bases vehicle.:twocents: On the perception of minivans as huge/awkward to drive, FWIW, although it had a larger footprint/overall dimensions than my previously owned small SUV, a 2003 Saturn Vue, I did find my 2005 Sienna to be comparatively easier to park with a smaller turning circle than the Vue.

Thank you. I drive a bigger vehicle occasionally, but bigger being relative, my mom's CRV or my dad's Frontier. I can do it. I'm not crazy about it. I'm going from always driving a compact car to this. Maybe when needed then the next step up won't feel so drastic? lol We don't have it yet, they're running final numbers. DH and I each climbed into the back and didn't thikn it was a big deal. Perhaps my perception is slightly skewed considering we currently always have a tight fit across the backseat and that for the first 8 years of my son's life I had a 2 door car. THe seat in the Rondo does as my coupe did, folds and slides forward in one motion. Granted, means can't have a car seat there when needing to use it. But similar could be said for the 8 seater minivan I figure we'll have to have one day. The lack of cargo space sucks, but IF we are ever in a position to be having a nearly or full car and need space for stuff, I imagine we'll have to deal with some projectile worthy backpacs on floor boards or use the roof rack. In my entire life I've taken maybe 3 vacations. So I don't consider this something that should affect my car buying. If we suddenly get enough money to be taking more regular vacations with all of us I hope we have the money to upgrade the car. We go on overnights maybe once a year but that's a backpack. We can get that behind the seat.

FYI, since you mentioned the warranty, when we got our Kia used, the warranty is only 60k miles (compared to 100k miles if bought new).

I will ask about this. She specifically mentioned that it was to 100k.

tl01

Yeah, it's something I've thought about. Luckily unless something drastic happens, stepson is here every other week, so though it's a factor in feeling we need a seat for him, he doesn't utilize it all the time. And the teen that's moving in with us, he's 16, he will be with us likely most the time, but in a few years he likely won't be. I can't completely count on that, of course, but getting the 7 means we ought to be good for at least a few years, I believe, unless twins or something unexpected happens like that. Then I don't know what. lol But it shouldn't be an issue for at least a few years and we hope that our situation also improves during that time, hopefully making us able to pay extra to pay it down. And the Kia was a good price, plus getting a discount, so we're not as upside down as we could have been. About $1,500, I think? So I don't think it should take TOO awfully long to make it to where we're in a more comfortable spot with it.

Thank you. I drive a bigger vehicle occasionally, but bigger being relative, my mom's CRV or my dad's Frontier. I can do it. I'm not crazy about it. I'm going from always driving a compact car to this. Maybe when needed then the next step up won't feel so drastic? lol We don't have it yet, they're running final numbers. DH and I each climbed into the back and didn't thikn it was a big deal. Perhaps my perception is slightly skewed considering we currently always have a tight fit across the backseat and that for the first 8 years of my son's life I had a 2 door car. THe seat in the Rondo does as my coupe did, folds and slides forward in one motion. Granted, means can't have a car seat there when needing to use it. But similar could be said for the 8 seater minivan I figure we'll have to have one day. The lack of cargo space sucks, but IF we are ever in a position to be having a nearly or full car and need space for stuff, I imagine we'll have to deal with some projectile worthy backpacs on floor boards or use the roof rack. In my entire life I've taken maybe 3 vacations. So I don't consider this something that should affect my car buying. If we suddenly get enough money to be taking more regular vacations with all of us I hope we have the money to upgrade the car. We go on overnights maybe once a year but that's a backpack. We can get that behind the seat.

I will ask about this. She specifically mentioned that it was to 100k.

The first owner get the 100k mile warranty. The second owner get 5 years 60k from the time the car was first purchased.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC