Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!


 

Sponsored Ads

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 88
  1. #41
    CPS Fanatic bubbaray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    BC Canada
    Posts
    2,911
    I thought the Rondo wasn't sold in the USA? I'd check that it isn't a salvage title.
    Melissa

    DD#1, April 2004, FFg in a Pink Harmony Literider & Onyx Parkway SG
    DD#2, January 2007, FFg in a Pink Monterey & Purple with Pink Hearts HBTB

    Riding in my 2010 Toyota RAV4 and DH's 2011 Ford 150 Crew Cab

  2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads
    Join Date
    April, 2001
    Location
    Car-Seat.Org
    Posts
    Many
     
     

  3. #42
    Carseat Crazy DawgDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    307

    Re: 3 row vehicles 2000ish up

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray View Post
    I thought the Rondo wasn't sold in the USA? I'd check that it isn't a salvage title.
    It isn't sold in the US.

  4. #43
    Senior Community Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    522

    Re: 3 row vehicles 2000ish up

    They were sold in the US but I thought they stopped making them in 2009. Hope it works out for you. Sounds like a tough spot.

  5. #44
    CPS Technician littleangelfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    kansas city area
    Posts
    1,753
    Quote Originally Posted by cso1997 View Post
    They were sold in the US but I thought they stopped making them in 2009. Hope it works out for you. Sounds like a tough spot.
    They were definitely sold in the US. It's a 2010, she said it was the last year made in US though some sites imply they're making them here again now. I will confirm its origin though and we can look up its history

  6. #45
    Senior Community Member Dillipop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    4,026
    We considered a rondo when we bought our minivan. I honk it's an ideal rxchange for you. I wish the is would start making more vehicles like this.


    CCO 4/15

  7. #46
    CPS Technician littleangelfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    kansas city area
    Posts
    1,753

    Re: 3 row vehicles 2000ish up

    Quote Originally Posted by Dillipop View Post
    We considered a rondo when we bought our minivan. I honk it's an ideal rxchange for you. I wish the is would start making more vehicles like this.
    I really like hearing this, somehow I'm a car snot. I've always driven Honda until I bought the car I have, and while I like the features of the car (Nissan Versa) I don't actually like the car and how it drives much. In fact I hate how it drives. It's got incredibly short gears and doesn't shift as easy as most cars. But it's still a reliable car that I thought would hold its value because it's Nissan. I've always considered Kia and Hyundai off-brand . So if this goes through twill be a humbling experience both having to lose my manual transmission and my own personal stigma against the brand. I have no idea what resale value is. Beggars can't be choosers and all. And we'll be way upside down on this one for a while. I've heard good things all these years about Kia and Hyundai's warranty, so that's something. I think I'm a bit hard to please in the car department. I wouldn't have wanted domestic either, though I assumed that's what we'd end up with when we started looking, just b/c of prices.

    And I agree, US totally needs more cars like this. What's ridiculous is a few years ago when I first learned of the Mazda5 I looked online and pretty much all brands have an equivalent overseas. The sedans over there even seat 6, 3 across front and back. We need more gas conscious vehicles here, for financial and environmental sake. And the Mazda5 still seems so popular they can't hardly keep them in stock, and there's not tons of used ones around, seems if the other brands sold similar models here they'd sell just as well, or better. I'd be all over one made by Honda if I had the ability to pay for it. I figured my next car would be a Honda, and they do have an Odyssey we could make work, but all that space seems wasted to me when it's just me and 2 kids during the day, though I don't drive a ton and when I do I genearlly am not going far.

  8. #47
    CPS Technician tl01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,513

    Re: 3 row vehicles 2000ish up

    Quote Originally Posted by littleangelfire View Post
    I really like hearing this, somehow I'm a car snot. I've always driven Honda until I bought the car I have, and while I like the features of the car (Nissan Versa) I don't actually like the car and how it drives much. In fact I hate how it drives. It's got incredibly short gears and doesn't shift as easy as most cars. But it's still a reliable car that I thought would hold its value because it's Nissan. I've always considered Kia and Hyundai off-brand . So if this goes through twill be a humbling experience both having to lose my manual transmission and my own personal stigma against the brand. I have no idea what resale value is. Beggars can't be choosers and all. And we'll be way upside down on this one for a while. I've heard good things all these years about Kia and Hyundai's warranty, so that's something. I think I'm a bit hard to please in the car department. I wouldn't have wanted domestic either, though I assumed that's what we'd end up with when we started looking, just b/c of prices.

    And I agree, US totally needs more cars like this. What's ridiculous is a few years ago when I first learned of the Mazda5 I looked online and pretty much all brands have an equivalent overseas. The sedans over there even seat 6, 3 across front and back. We need more gas conscious vehicles here, for financial and environmental sake. And the Mazda5 still seems so popular they can't hardly keep them in stock, and there's not tons of used ones around, seems if the other brands sold similar models here they'd sell just as well, or better. I'd be all over one made by Honda if I had the ability to pay for it. I figured my next car would be a Honda, and they do have an Odyssey we could make work, but all that space seems wasted to me when it's just me and 2 kids during the day, though I don't drive a ton and when I do I genearlly am not going far.
    I think the rondo was sold until 2010. The Mazda 5... They just don't make many of them. Mazda has thought about discontinuing it. It just doesn't sell well. They only sold a little over 700 units last month in the US.

    There are some Sedans sold here that do have 6 seats... The Avalon was availed with 6, the impala at some point... Various Cadillacs. I'm trying to think of which cars overseas have 3 across the front to help think if similar cars here... I can't think of any immediately. Honda does make a small version of the odyssey abroad but I think the focus groups have shown that the full size ody is more popular.
    DS 7.5 years 71 lbs FFing in:
    a Frontier90, PWSGL 2013
    DS2 3.5 years 35 lbs FFing in:
    Foonf, Frontier 85, SureRide

  9. #48
    CPS Technician littleangelfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    kansas city area
    Posts
    1,753

    Re: 3 row vehicles 2000ish up

    Quote Originally Posted by tl01 View Post
    I think the rondo was sold until 2010. The Mazda 5... They just don't make many of them. Mazda has thought about discontinuing it. It just doesn't sell well. They only sold a little over 700 units last month in the US.

    There are some Sedans sold here that do have 6 seats... The Avalon was availed with 6, the impala at some point... Various Cadillacs. I'm trying to think of which cars overseas have 3 across the front to help think if similar cars here... I can't think of any immediately. Honda does make a small version of the odyssey abroad but I think the focus groups have shown that the full size ody is more popular.
    Yeah but they need to put us in the focus groups! lol IF we had to get a van, I'd prefer Odyssey or Sienna, I'd consider a Quest. But for now I think this works better. When we get to the point where every ride is me + a few more kids then I think we'll have to move to a full size van. I didn't know the Avalon had 6 at some point, my friend has one and it doesn't. BOth DH and I vehemently dislike Cadillacs. I looked at a bunch of pictures, I konw Honda had a sedan overseas that had 3 across the front, but the only model name I remember is FR5 and I believe that was the CRV similar one? But I'm not sure it was 3-4 years ago I looked it up.

  10. #49
    Carseat Crazy
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    117

    Re: 3 row vehicles 2000ish up

    Quote Originally Posted by littleangelfire View Post
    Yeah but they need to put us in the focus groups! lol IF we had to get a van, I'd prefer Odyssey or Sienna, I'd consider a Quest. But for now I think this works better. When we get to the point where every ride is me + a few more kids then I think we'll have to move to a full size van. I didn't know the Avalon had 6 at some point, my friend has one and it doesn't. BOth DH and I vehemently dislike Cadillacs. I looked at a bunch of pictures, I konw Honda had a sedan overseas that had 3 across the front, but the only model name I remember is FR5 and I believe that was the CRV similar one? But I'm not sure it was 3-4 years ago I looked it up.
    I would LOVE to have a smaller minivan type vehicle. I love my Sienna, but it is big. Now that I don't have kids in carseats anymore we don't NEED a vehicle that big, but with 3 growing boys it is nice to have an extra row to spread them out. I much prefer driving our Outback, it handles better and feels like a reasonable size to me. It's funny because I didn't think of our van as huge, but it sure feels that way now that we have a smaller car that I like to drive. Hopefully in the next few years there will be more options that are fuel efficient, compact, AND seat 6-7 people!

  11. #50
    CPS Technician tl01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,513

    Re: 3 row vehicles 2000ish up

    Quote Originally Posted by vtbecca View Post
    I would LOVE to have a smaller minivan type vehicle. I love my Sienna, but it is big. Now that I don't have kids in carseats anymore we don't NEED a vehicle that big, but with 3 growing boys it is nice to have an extra row to spread them out. I much prefer driving our Outback, it handles better and feels like a reasonable size to me. It's funny because I didn't think of our van as huge, but it sure feels that way now that we have a smaller car that I like to drive. Hopefully in the next few years there will be more options that are fuel efficient, compact, AND seat 6-7 people!
    I don't think of my odyssey as huge. I think the space is well used. It certainly isn't a small car, but the space sure comes in handy frequently enough for us. We only have two kids but sometimes carpool or take a friend. Sure if I drive a sports car... Then going back to the van there's a difference but overall day to day it if a perfect size.
    DS 7.5 years 71 lbs FFing in:
    a Frontier90, PWSGL 2013
    DS2 3.5 years 35 lbs FFing in:
    Foonf, Frontier 85, SureRide

  12. #51
    CPS Technician tl01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,513

    Re: 3 row vehicles 2000ish up

    Quote Originally Posted by littleangelfire View Post
    Yeah but they need to put us in the focus groups! lol IF we had to get a van, I'd prefer Odyssey or Sienna, I'd consider a Quest. But for now I think this works better. When we get to the point where every ride is me + a few more kids then I think we'll have to move to a full size van. I didn't know the Avalon had 6 at some point, my friend has one and it doesn't. BOth DH and I vehemently dislike Cadillacs. I looked at a bunch of pictures, I konw Honda had a sedan overseas that had 3 across the front, but the only model name I remember is FR5 and I believe that was the CRV similar one? But I'm not sure it was 3-4 years ago I looked it up.

    I have been hoping and pleading for Mercedes to make a minivan. Something with some style... And my brother said their focus groups show that their buyer won't drive a minivan even if it is stylish simply bc it is a minivan. I keep hoping someone will include me in the minivan focus group but it never happens. I can see that in many areas... The buyers seem to stray from minivans in favor of big fancy SUVs so maybe these focus groups are pretty accurate?
    DS 7.5 years 71 lbs FFing in:
    a Frontier90, PWSGL 2013
    DS2 3.5 years 35 lbs FFing in:
    Foonf, Frontier 85, SureRide

  13. #52
    Carseat Crazy
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    235
    I think the Rondo is a great car and would suit your current needs perfectly! I remember when it was in the US market.

    I guess my only concern outside taking on additional negative equity, is the potential for your family to outgrow this car before being able to upsize. If you're in the not preventing pregnancy camp, you could potentially outgrow this car very quickly, and be in a worse negative equity position than you are now. I would carefully consider going with a full sized or mini van if you are planning a large family.

  14. #53
    CPS Technician tl01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,513

    Re: 3 row vehicles 2000ish up

    Quote Originally Posted by sunnydayz View Post
    I think the Rondo is a great car and would suit your current needs perfectly! I remember when it was in the US market.

    I guess my only concern outside taking on additional negative equity, is the potential for your family to outgrow this car before being able to upsize. If you're in the not preventing pregnancy camp, you could potentially outgrow this car very quickly, and be in a worse negative equity position than you are now. I would carefully consider going with a full sized or mini van if you are planning a large family.
    I totally agree with this! One purchase is usually cheaper than two and if you are starting with negative equity you may end up even more stuck and then needing more space.
    DS 7.5 years 71 lbs FFing in:
    a Frontier90, PWSGL 2013
    DS2 3.5 years 35 lbs FFing in:
    Foonf, Frontier 85, SureRide

  15. #54
    Carseat Crankypants carseatcoach's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,732

    Re: 3 row vehicles 2000ish up

    Quote Originally Posted by DawgDad View Post
    It isn't sold in the US.
    It was, for a few years. It's built on the Kia Optima platform, so it's extremely compact for a 7-seater.

    OP, I'm glad you got something you're happy with. If you are extremely upside-down with equity, see if you can purchase GAP insurance. I don't know if that's possible if you start out underwater.
    CPST and Mama to a 13yo girl, 5-stepped at age 10 and 5'

    Posted from my toaster using a PopTart

  16. #55
    Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    14,512

    Re: 3 row vehicles 2000ish up

    Quote Originally Posted by DawgDad View Post
    It isn't sold in the US.
    It's not available as a new model anymore, but the Rondo was previously available in the U.S. as a 2007-2010 model. http://www.cars.com/kia/rondo/ I see them occasionally on the road around here, about as frequently/infrequently as I see the Mazda5 on the road.

    A significant drawback to the Rondo over a Mazda5 6-passeger model, or a Kia Sedona or other 7-passenger minivan for transporting a vehicle full of passengers, is that the 5 and minivan models have second row captain's chairs and rear sliding doors vs. the Rondo's second row bench seating and non-sliding, regular/hinged rear doors. I'd expect third row access to be accordingly more of a challenge in the Rondo, something to factor in if you're counting on that third row for regular use and/or a carseat installation right now or for a future baby. The third row may possibly be more readily accessible from the rear cargo area in the Rondo, and it's something to experiment with thoroughly before deciding IMHO if this needs to be a long term, cover all the potential bases vehicle. On the perception of minivans as huge/awkward to drive, FWIW, although it had a larger footprint/overall dimensions than my previously owned small SUV, a 2003 Saturn Vue, I did find my 2005 Sienna to be comparatively easier to park with a smaller turning circle than the Vue.
    Regards,
    Jean

    DD1 Age 16, 66" Driver's Ed
    DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

    Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar

  17. #56
    Carseat Crazy katymyers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Idaho Falls, ID
    Posts
    933
    I know someone who drives a Rondo and really likes it, but her and her DH don't have any kids yet. Cargo space is practically nonexistent, it was less than my Mazda5 had, for that reason she never had the third row up. Also, the third row access was a joke. I wouldn't want to have to deal with that on a daily or even just weekly basis, it would get tiring. I got my first minivan when I only had two kids despite being opposed to it at first, you really can't beat the convenience and ease if you have kids. Having sliding doors is soooo nice for easy access and getting littles in and out of car seats. The cargo space is fantastic, you can go to the grocery store once a week and get everything you need and just be done. You can fold up and take seats out if you need to haul big things like furniture, gardening supplies, lumber, you name it! In terms of safety minivans are often times very safe vehicles compared to other vehicles with similar seating capabilities. I totally get wanting a fun vehicle, I just turned 24 for crying out loud, but at a certain point you have to suck it up and do what's best for your family. If you're really willing to put yourselves in such a precarious financial situation with a vehicle, getting something that will make sense LONG term will be your best choice. You could get pregnant in a month for all you know and all of the sudden outgrow that vehicle and be completely stuck with it.

  18. #57
    Moderator - CPS Technician
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    upstate NY
    Posts
    3,971

    Re: 3 row vehicles 2000ish up

    FYI, since you mentioned the warranty, when we got our Kia used, the warranty is only 60k miles (compared to 100k miles if bought new).
    Cutie #1 (13 years) 5-stepping
    Cutie #2 (10 years) riding in a Safety 1st Incognito

    Cutie #3 (7 years) riding in a Chicco KidFit
    Cutie #4 (6 years) riding in a Frontier
    Cutie #5 (3 years) riding in a Nuna Rava

  19. #58
    CPS Technician littleangelfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    kansas city area
    Posts
    1,753

    Re: 3 row vehicles 2000ish up

    Quote Originally Posted by sunnydayz View Post
    I think the Rondo is a great car and would suit your current needs perfectly! I remember when it was in the US market.

    I guess my only concern outside taking on additional negative equity, is the potential for your family to outgrow this car before being able to upsize. If you're in the not preventing pregnancy camp, you could potentially outgrow this car very quickly, and be in a worse negative equity position than you are now. I would carefully consider going with a full sized or mini van if you are planning a large family.
    Yeah, it's something I've thought about. Luckily unless something drastic happens, stepson is here every other week, so though it's a factor in feeling we need a seat for him, he doesn't utilize it all the time. And the teen that's moving in with us, he's 16, he will be with us likely most the time, but in a few years he likely won't be. I can't completely count on that, of course, but getting the 7 means we ought to be good for at least a few years, I believe, unless twins or something unexpected happens like that. Then I don't know what. lol But it shouldn't be an issue for at least a few years and we hope that our situation also improves during that time, hopefully making us able to pay extra to pay it down. And the Kia was a good price, plus getting a discount, so we're not as upside down as we could have been. About $1,500, I think? So I don't think it should take TOO awfully long to make it to where we're in a more comfortable spot with it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanum View Post
    It's not available as a new model anymore, but the Rondo was previously available in the U.S. as a 2007-2010 model. http://www.cars.com/kia/rondo/ I see them occasionally on the road around here, about as frequently/infrequently as I see the Mazda5 on the road.

    A significant drawback to the Rondo over a Mazda5 6-passeger model, or a Kia Sedona or other 7-passenger minivan for transporting a vehicle full of passengers, is that the 5 and minivan models have second row captain's chairs and rear sliding doors vs. the Rondo's second row bench seating and non-sliding, regular/hinged rear doors. I'd expect third row access to be accordingly more of a challenge in the Rondo, something to factor in if you're counting on that third row for regular use and/or a carseat installation right now or for a future baby. The third row may possibly be more readily accessible from the rear cargo area in the Rondo, and it's something to experiment with thoroughly before deciding IMHO if this needs to be a long term, cover all the potential bases vehicle. On the perception of minivans as huge/awkward to drive, FWIW, although it had a larger footprint/overall dimensions than my previously owned small SUV, a 2003 Saturn Vue, I did find my 2005 Sienna to be comparatively easier to park with a smaller turning circle than the Vue.
    Thank you. I drive a bigger vehicle occasionally, but bigger being relative, my mom's CRV or my dad's Frontier. I can do it. I'm not crazy about it. I'm going from always driving a compact car to this. Maybe when needed then the next step up won't feel so drastic? lol We don't have it yet, they're running final numbers. DH and I each climbed into the back and didn't thikn it was a big deal. Perhaps my perception is slightly skewed considering we currently always have a tight fit across the backseat and that for the first 8 years of my son's life I had a 2 door car. THe seat in the Rondo does as my coupe did, folds and slides forward in one motion. Granted, means can't have a car seat there when needing to use it. But similar could be said for the 8 seater minivan I figure we'll have to have one day. The lack of cargo space sucks, but IF we are ever in a position to be having a nearly or full car and need space for stuff, I imagine we'll have to deal with some projectile worthy backpacs on floor boards or use the roof rack. In my entire life I've taken maybe 3 vacations. So I don't consider this something that should affect my car buying. If we suddenly get enough money to be taking more regular vacations with all of us I hope we have the money to upgrade the car. We go on overnights maybe once a year but that's a backpack. We can get that behind the seat.

    Quote Originally Posted by jjordan View Post
    FYI, since you mentioned the warranty, when we got our Kia used, the warranty is only 60k miles (compared to 100k miles if bought new).
    I will ask about this. She specifically mentioned that it was to 100k.

  20. #59
    CPS Technician tl01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,513

    Re: 3 row vehicles 2000ish up

    Quote Originally Posted by littleangelfire View Post
    Yeah, it's something I've thought about. Luckily unless something drastic happens, stepson is here every other week, so though it's a factor in feeling we need a seat for him, he doesn't utilize it all the time. And the teen that's moving in with us, he's 16, he will be with us likely most the time, but in a few years he likely won't be. I can't completely count on that, of course, but getting the 7 means we ought to be good for at least a few years, I believe, unless twins or something unexpected happens like that. Then I don't know what. lol But it shouldn't be an issue for at least a few years and we hope that our situation also improves during that time, hopefully making us able to pay extra to pay it down. And the Kia was a good price, plus getting a discount, so we're not as upside down as we could have been. About $1,500, I think? So I don't think it should take TOO awfully long to make it to where we're in a more comfortable spot with it.



    Thank you. I drive a bigger vehicle occasionally, but bigger being relative, my mom's CRV or my dad's Frontier. I can do it. I'm not crazy about it. I'm going from always driving a compact car to this. Maybe when needed then the next step up won't feel so drastic? lol We don't have it yet, they're running final numbers. DH and I each climbed into the back and didn't thikn it was a big deal. Perhaps my perception is slightly skewed considering we currently always have a tight fit across the backseat and that for the first 8 years of my son's life I had a 2 door car. THe seat in the Rondo does as my coupe did, folds and slides forward in one motion. Granted, means can't have a car seat there when needing to use it. But similar could be said for the 8 seater minivan I figure we'll have to have one day. The lack of cargo space sucks, but IF we are ever in a position to be having a nearly or full car and need space for stuff, I imagine we'll have to deal with some projectile worthy backpacs on floor boards or use the roof rack. In my entire life I've taken maybe 3 vacations. So I don't consider this something that should affect my car buying. If we suddenly get enough money to be taking more regular vacations with all of us I hope we have the money to upgrade the car. We go on overnights maybe once a year but that's a backpack. We can get that behind the seat.



    I will ask about this. She specifically mentioned that it was to 100k.
    The first owner get the 100k mile warranty. The second owner get 5 years 60k from the time the car was first purchased.
    DS 7.5 years 71 lbs FFing in:
    a Frontier90, PWSGL 2013
    DS2 3.5 years 35 lbs FFing in:
    Foonf, Frontier 85, SureRide

  21. #60
    CPS Technician littleangelfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    kansas city area
    Posts
    1,753

    Re: 3 row vehicles 2000ish up

    Quote Originally Posted by tl01 View Post
    The first owner get the 100k mile warranty. The second owner get 5 years 60k from the time the car was first purchased.
    Well that stinks.



Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •