8 passenger minivans

tesslouise

Long story short, I love my Mazda5 but we are, as a family, outgrowing it, now that my in-laws live with us.

DH wants two more kids, taking us from a family of 6 to eventually 8. Not much point in getting a van that only seats 7!

2014 Odyssey vs. 2014 Sienna. Which one has a more usable eighth seat? Which is more maneuverable to drive? (I LOVE my 5 and never wanted a minivan.) How could I best arrange seats to hold one FFing DD1, one RFing DD2, one (future) baby, and two adults in the back, in a way that isn't crazy-making?

ADS

jjordan

Odyssey is the favorite for seating 8, in that generation. I can't speak to the maneuverability of the vehicles though.

For seating, I prefer to have babies in the middle row so that it is easier to get them into their seats. Assuming that the other RF child can climb into a seat by herself, then I'd probably put her and the FF child in the third seat, and the two adults in the remaining two middle seats so that they don't have to climb into the back.

DawgDad

For 8 passengers, especially in car seats, the Odyssey is going to be your leader here. The middle row expands in what they call "wide mode" allowing more room between the seats and making it easier to put multiple car seats throughout the middle row & mostly making that 8th seat (which has LATCH and a rear tether) usable. It also has 6 tethers to the Sienna's 3...so it offers more flexibility to where you can install a car seat safely for FF.

The pricing is pretty much the same, but I believe 2014 models comparatively the Honda added more standard safety features that are offered in all of their lines. You also get a little bit more tech standard as well.

Something to note...2015's should be hitting the lots late in September or October. 2014 prices will be at their best between November and December when no one buys a car. Look for .9% financing on a 60 month purchase for an Odyssey during those months (if you aren't buying outright).

tesslouise

Something to note...2015's should be hitting the lots late in September or October. 2014 prices will be at their best between November and December when no one buys a car. Look for .9% financing on a 60 month purchase for an Odyssey during those months (if you aren't buying outright).

That's why we're looking now, hoping to get a good deal on a 2014 later this fall.

Don't know about financing yet, we have both a paid-off '07 Ford 4-door pickup and a paid-off 2010 Mazda5 to trade in or maybe sell? We don't need three vehicles (we'll still have DH's '07 Ford Focus) but we can't afford a car payment either.

Looks like test drives are in our near future.

DawgDad

That's why we're looking now, hoping to get a good deal on a 2014 later this fall.

Don't know about financing yet, we have both a paid-off '07 Ford 4-door pickup and a paid-off 2010 Mazda5 to trade in or maybe sell? We don't need three vehicles (we'll still have DH's '07 Ford Focus) but we can't afford a car payment either.

Looks like test drives are in our near future.

Definitely! I always encourage and support that...it's a pain, but you will truly find what car matches your needs better when you drive it around.

lgenne

I'll echo what everyone said about better seating options in the Odyssey. I'd say they're about even in terms of drivability.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC