Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Canada Positioning of seats in Mazda3

Hi,
    I currently have three across in my 07 Mazda3 hatchback. I have a Britax Frontier, RF Britax Advocate, then Britax Frontier. All three are independently tight and none are overtop of another. However, both frontiers (on the outside) are sitting tilted slightly inward. I think this is due to the seats in the Mazda being a bit raised near the door. They are installed with seatbelts and tethers. Does anyone know if it is ok for them to be tilted? Or is there something I can do to make them safe? Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Mjmcilmoyl View Post
    Hi,
    I currently have three across in my 07 Mazda3 hatchback. I have a Britax Frontier, RF Britax Advocate, then Britax Frontier. All three are independently tight and none are overtop of another. However, both frontiers (on the outside) are sitting tilted slightly inward. I think this is due to the seats in the Mazda being a bit raised near the door. They are installed with seatbelts and tethers. Does anyone know if it is ok for them to be tilted? Or is there something I can do to make them safe? Thanks!
    I didn't know there was a car on the planet that made a three across with 2 frontiers and and advocate possible, wow! That's impressive. As long as they're independently tight, tipping isn't considered a safety issue. Maybe I need to be looking at Mazda 3s....

That's a great 3 across! You said they were all independently tight. Did you install the Advocate first, then removed it after installing the Frontiers?

If all the seats are independently secured with less than 1 inch of movement at the belt path, the tilting is not a concern.
    Mary Ann - Maman franco
    Sorry for my broken English
    DD1: 10/2008 - Rides FF in a Plum RXT or PW's
    DD2: 02/2013 - Rides RF in a Flamingo Foonf
    DS: 07/2015 - Rides RF in a cowmoo Boulevard

Re: Positioning of seats in Mazda3

Ok good to know! Yes, I installed the advocate in the middle first. Then I installed both frontiers. Then I removed the advocate to make sure the frontiers were tight, and they were. Then I reinstalled the advocate. It also worked 3 across in the mazda3 with both frontiers on the outside and my Peg Perego Primo Viaggio SIP 30/30 with base in the middle. It was actually easier to get them in the Mazda than in my Dodge Journey!

This is great, I didn't know it was possible! My DH has the same vehicle and I was thinking we'd never fit 3 in there! I only have one child FF though, I wonder if it could work with 2RF and 1FF... Now I want to try! Would definitely need new seats though, the 3 skinny ones are in my car... With the 2 big wide "leftover" seats in his!

Is the Advocate the click tight version?
    In guessing this is 3 seat belt installs?

This thread is 1 year old and the Click Tight weren't released yet.

Starting your own post might help you get more answer for your 3 across!
    Mary Ann - Maman franco
    Sorry for my broken English
    DD1: 10/2008 - Rides FF in a Plum RXT or PW's
    DD2: 02/2013 - Rides RF in a Flamingo Foonf
    DS: 07/2015 - Rides RF in a cowmoo Boulevard