Buckle in the back

A

Acerider

Howdy, I've traveled a few times with first son in a cheap Cosco seat, very light and it fits in/on a stroller. The issue is the plane's seat belt buckle ends up in the middle of his back, ok for short flights but now we are going on a 14 hour plane flight with son two (son one is now 4 and will use regular belt or a harness). Son two can't sit with a buckle in his back the whole flight. So:

- just so you know, in the past we use the seat for takeoff and landing and in flight I simply unbuckle, flip upside down and sit the head of the seat on the floor in front of baby's seat. The car seat's bottom is now like a table in front of baby. Just a little trick others might like. Baby can now sleep on our lap laying on the seat and the car seat is basically out of the way

- can you strap a child into the car seat and buckle the plane's seat belt over the child and seat? So the plane's seat is over the car seat's belts? Or does the seat have to be strapped down then buckle the child? Plane belt over everything would avoid the buckle in the back

- many times when I read about this buckle in the back issue, I also radar about using seatbelt extenders. I don't get how this would solve anything? The extender is a strap with the same male and dfemale buckles, correct? If so, the extenders buckle will be in exactly the same place as the normal buckle. Am I missing sthg?

Thanks!

ADS

sunnymw

I'm guessing you're referring to a Scenera, and if that's the case, I would install it rear facing. The buckle will be in the belt path by his feet but my daughter didn't even notice it. It would also be more comfortable for sleeping during the 14 hour flight.

I would also leave it installed the whole flight. There were times during our flight to Germany that we experienced turbulence and had to buckle the kids in. The boys might have been okay in a regular belt but Korah flipping around while she was sleeping would have been a mess if not for the seat.

aeormsby

On a plane I would feel comfortable using a folded blanket to pad the back of the seat after it's buckled (or a small folded towel above/below the buckle so it's not sticking out). Adding something between the straps & child is a huge no-no in the vehicle, but for a flight I'd rather do that than not have the child buckled in the seat.

krasota

I also made the choice to pad the seat (Scenera 40RF) with a receiving blanket (folded) or a prefold. That was just enough for my son to be comfortable. At 3.5-4y, I think the flight attendants would've given me grief for RF him, though he still fit that way (and rode that way in the car).

AceRider

1. It's the "high back belt positioning seat" or something like that. It's a combo booster/belt chair, but it has a five point harness, is very light and easy to get around with. Can't be rear facing, but will work in a jam for our just less than a year old kid who fits the weight/height parameters.

2. It will only be uninstalled if kid wants to play or sleep on the seat, when he will be lightly buckled in still

3. I just saw a Cosco seat called something like the Evenflo, that I actually bought and then returned since it was too big. Main reason being we couldn't remove to let him sleep/sit on the plane's seat. This seems like a GREAT option for those who want a convertible seat; it looks like the Scenara but somehow seems more sturdy ans it doesn't sit up on the high feet that the Scenara has.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC