Help - Need to Replace our Car!

Violet's Mom

We are in the market for a car after our 2007 Subaru Forester had unexpected and catastrophic mechanical problems. We have test-driven several cars and are having a hard time making up our minds.

Here is what we are considering:
  • Mercedes M-Class (Certified Pre-Owned)
  • Lexus RX-350 (Certified Pre-Owned)
  • Jeep Grand Cherokee
  • Ford Explorer
  • Honda CRV

We have two children, a 3 year old who is rear-facing in a convertible, and a 4 month old who is an infant seat. We want a car that is safe and comfortable. A third row of seats is not a must at this point, but we do need a lot of cargo room, for taking luggage/supplies when we travel or dogs (in their crates) in the back.

The Grand Cherokee, Explorer, and CRV all seem to have generally good safety, but all got marginal scores on the small overlap test. The significance of that, particularly compared to the CPO cars, which did not undergo the small overlap test, is unclear to me.

Thoughts? We are starting to become overwhelmed with choices and options. However, we have struggled to be a one-car family for the past several weeks so we really need to pick something! :)

ADS

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I just bought a used Mercedes yesterday (GL450) and other than a few minor annoyances (lack of child safety locks on the doors, mainly), I really like it.

We did need a useable 3rd row, which is why we went with this vehicle. Ours is quite a bit older, but I noticed that in our area there were some certified pre-owned GL450s available in the $40k range. I assume the M-class vehicles are somewhat less expensive and almost certainly more fuel efficient.

Whatever you get, I recommend actually climbing into the back seat and trying yourself out in various seating positions. Is this car going to fit your child well for however long you intend to own the car? Last time we bought a nearly-new vehicle we owned it for 9 years. When I bought it I had two kids fresh out of boosters (one 11 and the other 10), and by the time I traded it in this week I had a 4 year old and two adult kids, one of whom is over six feet tall; one of the older kids did move out last year but the tall one is still at home. ;) So if you plan to own this vehicle a long time think about what your family is going to look like in 5, 10, even 15 years. Is there enough leg room? Room for more kids in car seats? Enough head restraints for all the older kids/teens/adults that might need to ride in the back?

And I have to admit that although I'm going to really miss the fuel economy of my Civic, I really appreciate having a car with much, much better crash protection. I've been in enough accidents to know how important that is. My Civic did a good job protecting me when I was rear-ended by a big truck, but if I'd been side-swiped by that same vehicle I wouldn't have survived a direct hit.

DawgDad

I second and will always recommend bringing your seats along to test out the cars. I would recommend all of the ones on your list but the Jeep (not a fan of them). Sure they might be better, but their past is just not a good one.

Surprisingly I believe the Mercedes has the smallest cargo space to the ones listed, just narrowly smaller than the Lexus. Depending on the year of the Mercedes (i.e. if it's this current generation's design)...I much prefer that look over the Lexus.

The Explorer is the largest one of the list that I like and would offer you a 3rd row for future growth of your family if you so choose to do that...or God surprises you. :)

Make a list of "must haves"...drive the cars and bring the seats & stroller. Put them in the cars and see how it all works on your day-to-day drive. If you feel the lift is too high for the stroller, then give that one a lower score in that category of "ease of use". You will most likely end up with a clear winner.

tl01

What years? I am not a fan of the back seat of the Lexus. I have always been a Mercedes fan though. The Lexus has a small center seat and my friend's properly installed Britax blvd totally destroyed the Lexus leather. It stretched it inches in length. I have never seen that happen in any car. I believe I have read the explorer (current gen) can be a little tricky car seat wise with regard to the seat hinges interfering with installs.

Violet's Mom

First, thanks for all the replies! Lots of good points here. We have been taking our bulkier infant seat along, but generally not both. I also like the idea of trying out a stroller!

What years? I am not a fan of the back seat of the Lexus. I have always been a Mercedes fan though. The Lexus has a small center seat and my friend's properly installed Britax blvd totally destroyed the Lexus leather. It stretched it inches in length. I have never seen that happen in any car. I believe I have read the explorer (current gen) can be a little tricky car seat wise with regard to the seat hinges interfering with installs.

We are targeting 2011-12 for the certified pre-owned. Something new enough that it should still have current safety features, but old enough that some price depreciation has occurred.

We went to the Honda dealer and the CRV seemed a little small for our needs. We drove the Pilot, which was pretty nice. My concerns: a poor score for small overlap. It also was much less comfortable to sit in compared to some of the other cars on the list.

aporthole

I've worked with 3 families recently with newer (2012+) Explorers and they are a nightmare for rear facing seats. The 2nd row depth is puny especially if mom or dad are on the taller side. The model with 2nd row bench has a nearly useless center seat that is incompatible with the vast majority of seats both rear and forward facing. Also watch out for the trim levels that have the inflatable seat belts outboard 2nd row. There are a couple brands of harnessed seats (Chicco and Britax) that allow installation with those belts but the rest do not.

After spending a few hours and testing half dozen different seats in 3 Explorers I would do whatever possible to avoid that car with kids in car seats, especially rear facing ones.

From the sound of your needs and wants the Honda Pilot would be the top of my list (I have a 2011 Pilot which I love but totally lust after the Honda Odyssey). The only other SUVs in that class I would remotely consider would be the Acura MDX or maybe the Nissan Pathfinder, but really for the price, the Pilot is hands down the winner in my book.

DawgDad

We went to the Honda dealer and the CRV seemed a little small for our needs. We drove the Pilot, which was pretty nice. My concerns: a poor score for small overlap. It also was much less comfortable to sit in compared to some of the other cars on the list.

Should sit in one of the Odyssey's. We own the '14 Touring Elite...nicer than most luxury cars I have driven or owned. Can't beat the cargo room when you fold the 3rd row down and the convenience is great.

You have 2 kids and if you are done...officially...then it might be more car than you are looking for (then again you did look at the Pilot and the Explorer is on your list). Just a thought...especially since safety, cargo, and convenience features are what seems to be something you desire.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/honda/odyssey

tl01

Of your options... I would go with the Mercedes ML. I have owned a few of them and liked them. But I now have a Odyssey Touring Elite like the one DawgDog mentioned. I love it. I went from a Mercedes GL to the Odyssey and am thrilled. I just had to get over the minivan stigma. I love the sliding doors! I tried to go back to an SUV briefly but it was a mistake and I sold that SUV (non Mercedes) in 2.5 months.

Violet's Mom

Should sit in one of the Odyssey's. We own the '14 Touring Elite...nicer than most luxury cars I have driven or owned. Can't beat the cargo room when you fold the 3rd row down and the convenience is great.

You have 2 kids and if you are done...officially...then it might be more car than you are looking for (then again you did look at the Pilot and the Explorer is on your list). Just a thought...especially since safety, cargo, and convenience features are what seems to be something you desire.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/honda/odyssey

Of your options... I would go with the Mercedes ML. I have owned a few of them and liked them. But I now have a Odyssey Touring Elite like the one DawgDog mentioned. I love it. I went from a Mercedes GL to the Odyssey and am thrilled. I just had to get over the minivan stigma. I love the sliding doors! I tried to go back to an SUV briefly but it was a mistake and I sold that SUV (non Mercedes) in 2.5 months.

You both make the Odyssey sound great! There are a lot of nice things about the Odyssey, but I think it's a little too much car for us right now. Our plan is to use the car we buy now as a primary car for 2-3 years. At that point, we anticipate buying a bigger car, likely with 3 rows, for possible future third child, carpooling, etc.

vtbecca

You both make the Odyssey sound great! There are a lot of nice things about the Odyssey, but I think it's a little too much car for us right now. Our plan is to use the car we buy now as a primary car for 2-3 years. At that point, we anticipate buying a bigger car, likely with 3 rows, for possible future third child, carpooling, etc.

I really regretted not getting a van earlier. We bought a larger Saturn sedan in 2003. Then my youngest was born in 2005 so we had to get a van. I wished we had just done it sooner and skipped the car in the middle. It would have been much less complicated and I loved having a van. Just some food for thought.

lgenne

We have LOVED having a minivan with 2 kids for the last 14 months. It simplifies life in ways I can't even list. #3 is on the way in a couple months, and we had to replace our secondary car largely because of that. We ended up going with a Mazda 5--essentially a mini minivan. (Which subsequently got some really disappointing crash test scores, but that's not relevant to my point.) We just couldn't see intentionally getting something that wasn't at all minivanish to haul kids around in.

If you know you need to replace one car now and anticipate needing to replace another in the next few years, get the vehicle that will really make your life easier now, and make a decision on the secondary vehicle when the time comes.

aporthole

I've had a 2011 Honda Pilot for just over 4 years now. My kids are 5.5 and 2.5 and we are expecting #3 in March. I totally wish we would have just gone with the Oddysey 4 years ago. The Oddy gets slightly better mpgs and would have been much more practical in the long run. I couldn't imagine buying a new car knowing I may want to trade it in within 2-3 years. For some reason I was still anti mini van 4 years ago for no logical reason.

We'll be petfectly fine with 3 in my Pilot but I regret not taking a closer look at the Oddy 4 years ago. My Pilot will be paid off next June but we are needing to replace hubby's car next so making the jump to the Oddysey I now lust for is still a good 4-5 years away.

Violet's Mom

I've had a 2011 Honda Pilot for just over 4 years now. My kids are 5.5 and 2.5 and we are expecting #3 in March. I totally wish we would have just gone with the Oddysey 4 years ago. The Oddy gets slightly better mpgs and would have been much more practical in the long run. I couldn't imagine buying a new car knowing I may want to trade it in within 2-3 years. For some reason I was still anti mini van 4 years ago for no logical reason.

We'll be petfectly fine with 3 in my Pilot but I regret not taking a closer look at the Oddy 4 years ago. My Pilot will be paid off next June but we are needing to replace hubby's car next so making the jump to the Oddysey I now lust for is still a good 4-5 years away.

Just to clarify a couple points here: we won't be trading this car in 2-3 years. In 2-3 years, we anticipating having this be our "second" car (i.e. replacing our current second car, which is fairly old). We do plan to keep whatever we purchase for quite a while, it just may possibly stop being our primary family car in a few years.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC