BIG News from Dorel - Forward-facing minimums on convertible seats going to AGE TWO!!!

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
We have confirmed with our contacts at Dorel that they intend to increase the minimum age requirements for FF from age 1 to age 2 starting in 2015. Not sure about Canada - I'm waiting for an answer on that.

The Scenera NEXT and Apt 50 convertibles coming in 2015 will launch with these new requirements and the rest of the Dorel convertibles will follow. Stay tuned for more details.

Info on the new convertibles can be found on the blog: http://carseatblog.com/29421/

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
...oh, what's that I hear in the distance...? Other brands with FF at 1 shrieking with delight as their sales increase...? :spit:

No, seriously, that's great news, it makes up for them recently ditching the awesome bare minimum FF from 22lbs/34"/age one down to 29"/22lbs/age one.

featherhead

If they do that in Canada as well, they will need to raise the rear-facing height limits. I think many of their seats are still 32" for rear-facing.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Hurray! All the brands have been saying ”but no one else will...” Maybe this will help spur the others on.

Also, how GREAT for program seats. :D

jennzee

I agree that it's fantastic news, especially given the popularity of their budget-friendly seats. Now to figure out how to get parents to read the manuals so they are actually aware of it :rolleyes:

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Any word on whether they will have any seats to accommodate those off-the-chart kids who reach 40 lbs or 40 inches before the age of two? Whether that's by making an exception for kids who exceed the RF limits, or by making some seats with higher RF capacities?

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Since the Scenera, in particular, already has those as overall limits for the seat, it should be a nonissue. Now, Apt50 is a different story of course.

katymyers

What about SC's stupidly worded car seat law? Wouldn't that technically make it illegal to use a Dorel seat in that state between the ages of 1 and 2? Or am I totally overthinking this? I'm just curious...

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
We have confirmed with our contacts at Dorel that they intend to increase the minimum age requirements for FF from age 1 to age 2 starting in 2015. Not sure about Canada - I'm waiting for an answer on that.

The Scenera NEXT and Apt 50 convertibles coming in 2015 will launch with these new requirements and the rest of the Dorel convertibles will follow. Stay tuned for more details.

Info on the new convertibles can be found on the blog: http://carseatblog.com/29421/

I've checked and they're not sure about Canada yet. Because of regulations, they'll have to double-check before making any announcements.

Any word on whether they will have any seats to accommodate those off-the-chart kids who reach 40 lbs or 40 inches before the age of two? Whether that's by making an exception for kids who exceed the RF limits, or by making some seats with higher RF capacities?

Nothing on the table as of right now. There are always going to be exceptions and truly, kids over 40 lbs. at age 2 *are* the exception. If there's a kid over 40 lbs. before turning 2, they're going to have to go to a different manufacturer.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
What about SC's stupidly worded car seat law? Wouldn't that technically make it illegal to use a Dorel seat in that state between the ages of 1 and 2? Or am I totally overthinking this? I'm just curious...

How old is this law? Honestly, I've only been hearing about it in the past month or two and I think it's because someone decided to read it and post about it on FB. Is anyone actually being ticketed for it?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member

Technically, yes.

...oh, what's that I hear in the distance...? Other brands with FF at 1 shrieking with delight as their sales increase...? :spit:

No, seriously, that's great news, it makes up for them recently ditching the awesome bare minimum FF from 22lbs/34"/age one down to 29"/22lbs/age one.

This will be on the stickers and manual, NOT on the box. So hopefully that will be avoided.

Wendy

katymyers

How old is this law? Honestly, I've only been hearing about it in the past month or two and I think it's because someone decided to read it and post about it on FB. Is anyone actually being ticketed for it?
I have heard of people getting tickets. I don't know reliable that information is but supposedly it does happen.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I've been hearing about that for years... But also have heard a few stories of people contesting tickets and judges dropping the fine (at least twice) with proof that they were within the seat's limits and the manufacturer recommended rf as long as possible.

rachelandtyke

The SC law is really old. At the time, it was probably on cutting edge with the then-current standards. It was only recently that it was made illegal (I think it finally was!) to take your baby out of the seat in order to feed it while the car was in motion. I remember a friend telling me about driving to Charleston and taking the baby out of its seat to nurse it on the way! :eek:

I have not heard of anyone getting tickets for going above and beyond the car seat law, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I should ask my ped at DD2s next well check what they are recommending since the law and AAP don't match up . . .

1mommy

QUOTE]

IMO the parent is more likely just to disregard the instructions saying "I know hte law, they can't force me..." Or even more likely not read the instructions at all....

But I think it's a good start to raise awarness about rear-facing till 2, and the Scenera is such a popular seat due to the low cost that hopefully a lot of parents will notice and follow instuructions...

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician

QUOTE]

IMO the parent is more likely just to disregard the instructions saying "I know hte law, they can't force me..." Or even more likely not read the instructions at all....

We get quite a few Frontiers and Pioneers returned at BRU because they get it home and see the minimum age is 2... people then just buy a Nautilus with the 20lb/1 year limit.
(and on your second point, quite a few returned Nautiluses by people who get them home and find out they don't RFfor their under 1 yo's...sigh......)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Because most people don't read the stickers or manuals until it's pointed out to them. How many people have we seen surprised and forced into ERF because of the 34" minimum? Yes, there will be returns when people realize, but I know of a lot of people who were able to be convinced because, "Btw, your sticker and manual say X and your law says Y, so it's illegal."

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC