Foster Parent Carseat Selection

U

Unregistered

We're in the process of becoming foster parents. We need to have carseats for our homestudy. We are being licensed for up to age 8 so we really need to have something for birth to 8. Our children are now 17 and 20 so I haven't bought a carseat in 20 yrs basically. Having read the messages here I'm thinking a Safeseat for the infant seat and a Triumph Advance for a convertible seat. I saw the Triumph Advance at Kmart the other day and I liked the adjustable straps/side knob. Any suggestions for a booster maybe Graco Turbobooster? Do my ideas sound good for infant and convertible? We live in a rather rural area so if Walmart carries it that's better Babies R Us and Target are about 50 miles away. Our primary vehicle is a 2006 Dodge Caravan. Thanks for your help

Becky.

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Congrats in advance on becoming foster parents. :) I think your seat ideas sound great and should accommodate a range of children fairly well. :thumbsup: The Triumph Advance is also sold at some WalMarts, and I believe the same is true for the Graco SafeSeat 1 and Turbo booster. I think it depends on the store location. My local WalMart doesn't carry many carseats at all, but it's a smaller and older store with limited selection of most everything, while the local Target carries all the seats you mentioned. You might also be able to order from walmart.com with free shipping to your local WalMart, or shipped to you directly for an additional shipping charge.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Congrats! This is something we'd like to pursue in a few years as well. Our Wal-Mart has the Triumph Advance, but only has the Safeseat as a travel system, but if you need a stroller that would work. Ordering online is always an option too if you can wait a few days to get it. I have an 06 Caravan too and it installs seats great.

LuvBug

Although the safeseat is awesome and will hold a baby longer... Im wondering about if you were called to bring home a very small baby. I am thinking the keyfit30 might be a better option for this situation?
Something that can fit a very small infant, and then the triumph advance that RF to 35lbs and FF to 50lbs with good height. The turbo can be used backless right? I think it would be good.

It sounds like you have a good plan though. I plan to foster as well, but itll be a while before Im able to.

crunchierthanthou

I think your choices are okay. I do like the idea of the Triumph Advance for the easily adjusted harness height with a relatively high top postion, and higher than average weight limits- 35 lbs rf and 50 lbs ff.

How tied are you to the idea of an infant seat? The Radian80 will fit even the tiniest babies and children 5-7 years of age. I would go with the 80 over the 65 because of the infant insert and the higher weight limit. In my limited experience, children in the foster care system have had poor nutrition and are often large for their ages. Some Babies R us sell the Radian80 in store.

For a booster, the Graco Airbooster has one of the tallest shoulder belt guides on the market. It's available at Target. The turbo booster is okay, but on the shorter side and doesn't have much for side impact protection.

bake1856

Congrats. We got our license in May and my only regret is that I waited twenty years to do it. Have you been told that you must have seats? They weren't required for us (although we have some hanging around because we have a 7 year old). For us we bought a scenera because going in cost was an issue plus you never know who you'll get or how long they'll stay. The day after our temp. license was issued we got brothers who were 4 months and 16 months. The baby came with a bucket and we used the scenera for the older brother. Now that we know the boys are long term we've bought a Marathon and are looking at other options (my husband hates the scenera). I was in Target looking at the Triumph tonight. When we get the second seat we'll use the Cosco as back up.

So I guess what I'm saying is the advice above is good but if I had no seats available I'd probably get a booster seat (the graco is good it can be backless if needed) and a Scenera. If by chance you get a call for an infant who doesn't have a bucket and is too small for the Scenera you could always run buy a bucket at Walmart.

Good luck. We've had fun and met some great kids.

karen

LeeLi

I think the Triumph Advance is a great car seat for a resonable price and is what I would pick if I were in your situation. You could even skip the infant bucket and just get the TA and a booster since the TA has a very low bottom setting. It also comes with nice infant padding if you buy it at Babies 'R Us.

daycaremom2002

My best friend is a foster parent. She has brought home 3 or 4 babies directly from the hospital. They treated it just like if they were sending home the baby with mom. The wanted to see the carseat. I don't know if this is true in most areas.

I would suggest a smaller infant seat just in case you get a very small baby. We put her newborns in a snugride then move them to a bigger seat after a few months. She has 2 SS1's but they were pretty big for her last newborn, although we could have made it work. You also have to consider the amount of traveling to appointments and visits that happens with a lot of foster kids. If you have a small baby, and have to go somewhere, there are more likely to stay asleep in a bucket seat. Trust me, it is a godsend with some of these kids.

I think the Triumph Advance is a great idea for the convertible. I have played around with one locally, but haven't had need to purchase one yet to really play around with it. I would definitely be a great choice for quick adjustments when you need to pick up a new placement. You can just strap the seat in and adjust it to the proper size when you get there. Here when they tell us it is a 2yo, we get there and it is a 34mo 40 pound child. A little bigger than we thought. The TA will cut down on time for readjustments for size.

The thing with buying for foster care, is that you never know what seats you will need. It is definitely worth having multiple seats that are as versatile as possible. Especially if you get a sibling set.

wohiomom

I'm the original poster now registered. Thanks for all your responses.

And yes I need car seats before we finish the license process I've asked the licensing worker. They do not provide car seats in our area.

I think I'm going to definitely get the Triumph Advance. We will be licensed for 2 children at least. I think I'm going to get a scenera as a cheaper second seat and I'll have it for my hubby's car if we don't need it for the van.

And yes I definitely want an infant bucket. I still remember using the infant seat so much with my girls. I'll keep thinking about them though. I might wait until I can make a trip to Babies R Us and Target so I can see them in person. Oh I just remembered I will be in near the mall on Wednesday. Well I think I'm going to do some shopping. I'd better warn my hubby.

Thanks again.

Becky

skaterbabs

I think the triumph advance is an ideal choice. The bottom harness adjustement position is very low, IMO it would fit even a very small baby well, and the top position is high enough that it will get most kids to booster age. I'd avoid the Air Booster unless you know you're going to have an especially large child, smaller booster aged kids don't fit very well. Another choice to consider is the Compass B510 booster. Not quite as tall as the Air Booster, but folds for storage and depending on your vehicle can get some kids to the height at which they'll be tall enough for the adult seatbelt. Then I would suggest a $25 backless booster, Cosco/Safety First makes one that's nice and wide for any child too big for the Compass.

DrPepper00

I am a foster parent with school age kids and infants. I find the snugride and the snug glider a wonderful combination. The SR fits into the Snugrider to make a swing. I am in and out of the car 5 or 6 times a day. When I know I will be leaving soon, I put the baby in the SR and in the swing to go to sleep. Some babies fall asleep, get put in the car, pick up another child and return to the house without ever waking up. I also have 2 Sceneras. Case workers and therapists that pick the kids up rarely have a proper seat and the Scenera is easy to install. I just had to have the pink daisy daze. My current little boy doesn't seem to mind riding in a pink seat.

All my infants have come with seats, but the last 2 were 22 pound boys less than a year old in 22 pound buckets. Even if they weren't over the weight limit, that is too much for me to be hauling in and out of the car.

bake1856

The bucket makes it easier in some ways but sometimes it's just another piece of equipment to haul around. You definitely need one for in the car with small babies but I used a sling as much as possible to carry the baby. We're licensed for 4 and you should see us trying to go to appts. Luckily all our other kids have been older so at least they could carry stuff. Our agency doesn't give seats but our little guy got one at his first placement. She picked it up on the way to the hospital to get him. He's almost outgrown it so moved him to the marathon. I'm going to donate it to the resource center.

Foster parenting is a learn as you go kind of thing. One thing I've found is the resource center. You end up buying lots of stuff and the resource center here has lots of kids things for free. They can also put out request if they don't have it and they find the stuff usually. I got an exersaucer, a crib, some toys and clothes. My children are 23 yrs old and 7 yrs old. I had forgotten what I needed till the boys got here.

If you have to have seats on hand I think the ones you've picked are great. Seats are one thing I wouldn't get from the resource center.

karen

dhardawa

My best friend is a foster parent. She has brought home 3 or 4 babies directly from the hospital. They treated it just like if they were sending home the baby with mom. The wanted to see the carseat. I don't know if this is true in most areas.

This was the case when we picked up Max too.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Welcome to the world of foster care!!!! I've been a foster parent for about 7 months now. We are on our 2nd placement...a 13mo old boy that we've had for over 5 months. It's been an interesting journey so far, but one that I wouldn't trade for anything.

Anyways, your seat choices sound good. The SS1 is a good seat, even for some pretty small babies...but I do agree the Keyfit might be better in case you get any preemies, or just tiny ones. However, if you are a working parent, you may not get any newborn placements, since you'll be using daycare. But that's something you'll need to discuss with your licensing worker. Of course, if you are a SAHM/WAHM...then all bets are off! LOL

Again, welcome!!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC