Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

need extended rear facing seat recommendations please!

Hi everyone!
    I have 2 children- DS is 2.5 and DD is almost 6 months old. They are both above the 90th percentile for height and the 80th percentile for weight. I have a 2004 Nissan Pathfinder, where DS is RF in a foonf and DD is in a Chicco infant seat, this is the primary vehicle they are in. My husband has a 2004 Chevy Silverado extended cab that DS is RF in a radian and DD is in the Chicco, they are only in this vehicle occasionally. All seats are installed using the seatbelt.
    I'm not sure what seats to get DD for each vehicle and how best to configure them. Is the foonf still the best option for getting my kids to (fingers crossed) 4 yrs old RF? The radian is in the middle of the truck's backseat and I don't think I can fit another one behind the passenger. Any recommendations or suggestions are appreciated!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: need extended rear facing seat recommendations please!

For taller kids the Graco 4Ever, Graco Headwise/My Size/Fit4Me/Size4Me, Graco Contender, and Chicco NextFit should get them to 40 pounds. For 80% kids the 40 pound limits they have is still four years old, but those are taller than the Foonf or Radian (the Foonf or Radian should also be tall enough, but the Headwise/My Size/Fit4Me/Size4Me and Contender are a lot cheaper than the Foonf and Radian).

If you adore your Radian, you could check out the Diono Olympia/Pacifica/Rainier. The Olympia goes to 45 pounds rear facing, the Pacifica and Rainier to 50 pounds, but they're the same height as the Radians so kids will very likely outgrow them sooner (though I have met a 47 pound child who fit by height still in either the Pacifica or Rainier and was quite comfortable).

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785