I think the Cambria is a bust...

mimieliza

According to the update from KIM, the Cambria requires head support, and has hook-style LATCH connectors. I'm glad I didn't wait for it. I much prefer the Recaro Performace Booster for $20-30 more.

ADS

sunnymw

I saw that it required support in HBB mode. I remember back in the day that the Apex did. Are there any boosters out NOW that do?

Baylor

And when asked I was told the probooster also needed head support.

If I was using the Recaro I would call and ask to make sure.

tl01

Parkway doesn't require headrest support. I believe the Graco boosters such as the Affix and Turbo don't require it either.

tl01

According to the update from KIM, the Cambria requires head support, and has hook-style LATCH connectors. I'm glad I didn't wait for it. I much prefer the Recaro Performace Booster for $20-30 more.

I don't mind hook style latch though not needing headrest support would be nice since not all headrests play well with car seats.

Baylor

The wording was odd and I called and was told by CSR that I needed the headrest after she checked with engineer. I think I still have the email.

I would just check if I had one now.

Snow mom

I'm looking forward to some IRL reviews. I've been putting off getting a booster for DD waiting on something more awe inspiring. I wish Britax would make a non-ugly cover.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I don't mind hook style latch though not needing headrest support would be nice since not all headrests play well with car seats.

Well, my opinion is that I like the honesty of the booster manufacturer to not give you a false sense of security when it comes to whiplash protection.

With a very few exceptions, such as the Oobr and a few Combo seats, I do not believe highback boosters realistically provide any head/neck protection unless they are supported by a vehicle seat back or head rest. While I'd love to see more HBBs with structural head support, this drives the cost up dramatically.

And if it doesn't have that support, I'd rather the instructions tell you honestly that vehicle support is necessary to protect your child from whiplash. So I have no beef with the Cambria requiring it.

MommyShannon

Well, my opinion is that I like the honesty of the booster manufacturer to not give you a false sense of security when it comes to whiplash protection. With a very few exceptions, such as the Oobr and a few Combo seats, I do not believe highback boosters realistically provide any head/neck protection unless they are supported by a vehicle seat back or head rest. While I'd love to see more HBBs with structural head support, this drives the cost up dramatically. And if it doesn't have that support, I'd rather the instructions tell you honestly that vehicle support is necessary to protect your child from whiplash. So I have no beef with the Cambria requiring it.
That's my thought too. I can't believe the Turbo booster is better structurally than the Cambria. One company is just choosing to acknowledge the whiplash risk.

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
That's my thought too. I can't believe the Turbo booster is better structurally than the Cambria. One company is just choosing to acknowledge the whiplash risk.

I agree. I know Dorel does rear-impact testing and their vehicle head support stance is based on what they see happening during rear-impact testing.

But on the flip side it's also important that we have some HBB options for vehicles or seating positions that don't have head restraints. Especially at lower price points.

babyherder

I need boosters that are compatible with my non removable head rests. I'm fine with boosters requiring head rests but I need them to work with my car.

bnsnyde

I kept the headrest in when I put our Probooster in...and it's awesome in the Civic. If it didn't work, then I was going to find out if it needed it, and then who knows what.

The seat seems very sturdy. I always keep the headrest unless it is a problem. Pretty much on all our harnessed seats, I had to take it out. And most of the boosters seem to flimsy to go without head support. We had an Oobr and even there we had head support (seat was too shallow so ended up returning).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC