Jeeps and Miatas

katelly123

My husband currently owns a 1999 Jeep Wrangler and a 2006 (maybe 2004?) Miata. Both vehicles are paid for in full, and we are not buying another car. He will have to drive our infant around at least twice a week. I am nervous about the car selections and wondering if anyone has experience with driving an infant in a Jeep and/or Miata. We (of course) will be rear facing our baby for at least two years and plan on RF for even longer. We will not being using an infant car seat, but going directly with a convertible. We chose the Chicco NextFit for my Pilot, and now that he wants to have his own carseat I am not sure if we are getting another Nextfit for him or doing something cheaper since he won't be driving her around as often.

I guess my question would be, if you had to choose between his two cars (Jeep or Miata) which one would you choose to drive a RF infant in?! Would you even choose either one?! I am so nervous about this, and not sure if I need to be or not. Also, if we do end up letting him use his Jeep/Miata should I stick with the expensive carseat for his car, or would it still be okay to use a cheaper carseat? I am aware that every carseat has to pass the same standards… but I am also aware that certain carseats have more safety features and are just better in general.

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Hi there!

Do Miatas have back seats? I'm thinking no, but maybe some do. If not, is there a way to physically turn off the airbag (switch or key)? If not, you absolutely cannot (safely or legally) install a rear-facing car seat there.

Does your Wrangler have a regular back seat? I know there are different trims and stuff, but I've installed several seats in Wranglers and they've worked just fine. (Not to say they all will, but it won't necessarily be an issue.)

teekadog

None of my kids (11 and younger) have ever gotten to ride in Poppop's Miata. There is no backseat. I know of no Miata with a backseat.

I vaguely searched one time and I don't think Mazda has ever had an on/off switch on the pass. airbag. You could do one of the suggested kludges you'll find on the interwebz but I wouldn't trust my kid's life to it.

I don't know anything about Jeep. But knowing what I know of Miatas and car seats I'd look into the Jeep first. :twocents:

T4K

If it's a 04 or 06, you probably have a two door version with a small 2 seater back seat.

As a jeep owner myself, I choose to use seats with more features, like side impact protection but that's on non scientific, un tested mom opinion.

I would choose the most compact front-to-back convertible when at a 45 degree. I'm not sure what that is right now. I would also want the added safety features.

katelly123

No his Miata does not have a back seat. Which is why I don't trust it. I know the safest place is in the back seat, but it is legal IF there is no back seat. He can shut off his passenger airbag using a key, I've looked into that already. It's actually the first thing I noticed in his car :) That being said, I still think I should wait until baby is a lot bigger to allow him to even THINK about using his Miata.

The Jeep has a regular bench seat in the back. He swears he has a LATCH system (which the Miata does) but I highly doubt it. Would that be a problem?

aporthole

Is there any possibility of switching vehicles with him when he will have baby, so baby always stays in 1 vehicle? Not sure whether that would be possible but thought I'd throw the suggestion out there.

kathysr98

I would choose the Jeep. My dh had an 01 Wrangler when my dd was born, and she rode in it occasionally. The big issue in choosing a seat for the Jeep will be finding something with a compact front to back size when fully reclined. I used a True Fit, but that seat has been discontinued. There are a few still out there, so if you can't find anything else you like you could get one. The Jeep won't have lower anchors, but the locking latchplates are usually easy to use.

T4K

I was thinking a Britax convertible with an infant wedge since the wedge changes the angle without having to recline the seat more.

1mommy

I personally wouldn't have too much of an issue with an occasional ride in the miata as your LO would still be rearfacing and the airbag turns off with a key. AdventureDad who is from Sweden has a website with a section dedicated to it.

http://www.carseat.se/rearfacing/position-in-vehicle/

http://www.carseat.se/rearfacing/position-in-vehicle/front-seat-safety/

It helped me when I had to put my LO in the front seat of my husbands pick up truck (with an airbag off switch of corse).

Also the Maxi Cosi Pria with Tinyfit for being able to fit in a compact space but still reclined enough for a LO.

katelly123

Is there any possibility of switching vehicles with him when he will have baby, so baby always stays in 1 vehicle? Not sure whether that would be possible but thought I'd throw the suggestion out there.

I wanted to switch vehicles so we wouldn't have to deal with this. But he is pretty adamant on using his own car "just in case". Haha.

DawgDad

Yes, he has a lift kit. I'm not sure of the height, maybe 3" or 4" but it's definitely a pain to get in and out of. It's the 1999 Sahara if that helps, but the lift kit was added on later.

Ok. This sounds like a lot for your first child. In all honesty, he should trade in one of his toys for a sensible parent car that is safer. I am speaking from a father that did this...I had a sports car and traded it in for a Acura TSX. I at least had a sporty sedan, but it was safer and offered more convenience for the child. I know you said selling isn't an option...but hopefully he will come around to the idea. Men for some reason take a little longer to come around (some never do), but if you honestly want the safest environment for your baby...neither car is a good option compared to most other vehicle options out there. If I was pressed to choose...I would say whichever one was newer.

kathysr98

Ok. This sounds like a lot for your first child. In all honesty, he should trade in one of his toys for a sensible parent car that is safer. I am speaking from a father that did this...I had a sports car and traded it in for a Acura TSX. I at least had a sporty sedan, but it was safer and offered more convenience for the child. I know you said selling isn't an option...but hopefully he will come around to the idea. Men for some reason take a little longer to come around (some never do), but if you honestly want the safest environment for your baby...neither car is a good option compared to most other vehicle options out there. If I was pressed to choose...I would say whichever one was newer.

I completely disagree, and my dh kept his toys until he wanted a luxury truck. My dd was fine in the Jeep, and it had a lift. It was a really easy vehicle to get her in & out of since she went in through the hatch. As long as one parent drives something that fits the entire family and needed gear, I see no reason for the expense of trading vehicles nor the loss of a fun toy.

1mommy

I completely disagree, and my dh kept his toys until he wanted a luxury truck. My dd was fine in the Jeep, and it had a lift. It was a really easy vehicle to get her in & out of since she went in through the hatch. As long as one parent drives something that fits the entire family and needed gear, I see no reason for the expense of trading vehicles nor the loss of a fun toy.

IMO It all depends on how much he will be driving the child, due to work schedules DH does drop offs at daycare and I do pick ups, so he needed a safe vehicle to transport our DS1, and he realized on his own that a truck where we had to put him in the front seat wasn't the ideal situation and sold it, and that was before DS2, there would have been no way for him to safely transport 2 kids. OP, are you guys thinking about having more children? If so you might want to consider discussing the dilemma to transport them safely with him.

DawgDad

That's fine...like I said, it's something most guys take time figuring out. This is coming from a male perspective about a male. We aren't emotionally tied to a child usually until after the birth. It doesn't "hit us" until after delivery sometimes that "oh crap, I am a Dad." Then protection starts to sink in and they want to make sure that their kid is safe at all times. Some guys, it comes earlier and some it never comes. Doesn't mean either is a better Dad that the other. My wife didn't push me, I did this all on my own. I am not suggesting she tell her husband what to do (nor you), but the obvious and logical correct choice would be to ALWAYS choose the safer option...which is neither car. It doesn't mean that neither are "safe"...but there are far safer cars out there. It only takes one time and usually when you least expect it. Most accidents occur close to home when everyone is stuck in "routine" and not as aware of what is going on. Just because you use a car rarely, it can easily happen in the moment you are using that less safe vehicle.

I only suggested newer in that the cars are more likely to have passed better safety crash standards to older vehicles...especially SUV/Trucks. Those vehicles didn't get scrutinized on their crash results until the mid-2000's. And a Jeep rolls over with a small breeze...especially the lifted kind.

katelly123

Thank you for all of your input! Right now we are not in the market for a new car. We just bought a Honda Pilot (used) for the reason that we want enough space for a growing family, and a safe car that was reasonable in gas. We do not need another car payment at the moment (or ever)… and seeing that his two cars are paid in full, we have no desire to sell them at this time. His Jeep is worth a pretty penny, even an older model, but his Miata is worth nothing. So that doesn't help when it comes to trading in cars and get a newer/safer car.

If anything, we will just switch cars like many families do. It may be inconvenient, but it costs way less in the long run and we were never a family of "convenience" anyway. He will only be driving baby two days a week, and that is only to pick up baby from daycare.

At this point, I think we will choose to use his Jeep and a high end convertible car seat. Thanks again for all of the information, it was very helpful!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC