SUV Recommendation

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Subaru supposedly fixed the head gasket problem around 2005, I think. At any rate, it's only the 2.5liter engines that are affected.

ADS

jjordan

Absolutely don't limit your choices based on the presence or absence of center seat LATCH anchors. Every car seat on the market is required to be safely installed with a seatbelt installation, and in fact, new LATCH rules combined with child seats having higher harness weight limits mean that nearly all forward facing child seats will, at some point, need to be installed with a seatbelt even if they are in a seating position that has LATCH.

I will say that we love our Subaru, but I can't say how well the newish models do for tall drivers.

Violet's Mom

I haven't looked at Subarus. I have a friend that said that Subarus are notorious for needing the head gasket replaced... and.... something else... I can't remember what it was. Whatever it was, it was a big ticket item, so it made me leery.

Subaru supposedly fixed the head gasket problem around 2005, I think. At any rate, it's only the 2.5liter engines that are affected.

Subaru Forester owner chiming in here. We had a 2007 and had to have the head gasket replaced. It was an expensive repair, and the car still developed major engine trouble less than a year later. It would have been a $4000+ repair so we are looking for a new car. I have heard of others after 2005 with similar issues, so I would not assume this is resolved.

We loved our Subaru while we had it - drove great, handled well in snow and ice. We are not looking at Subaru this time around though.

akulaji

Subaru Forester owner chiming in here. We had a 2007 and had to have the head gasket replaced. It was an expensive repair, and the car still developed major engine trouble less than a year later. It would have been a $4000+ repair so we are looking for a new car. I have heard of others after 2005 with similar issues, so I would not assume this is resolved.

We loved our Subaru while we had it - drove great, handled well in snow and ice. We are not looking at Subaru this time around though.

Yea, I did a little more research and saw a lot of people in the same situation as you supposedly after the change to the engines were made. It looks like any 2.2 or 2.5 liter engine made by Subaru has potential to have the problem... we'll be steering clear in spite of the great cars. I do not want to deal with high ticket repairs.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC