SUV Recommendation

akulaji

Looking to purchase a new car now that we have a child. Would like to get a used SUV and not finance, so our budget is $10,000 max. We have the one child that is 7 months old and still in a keyfit carrier car seat. We will likely move him to a convertible in the next couple of months. Ultimately we would like him to RF in the middle and us not be totally squished in the front. Looking for an SUV with AWD or 4WD, and would like something with relatively low mileage (not over 100k miles). Would love any suggestions on which manufacturers and models to look at. I started to try and research cars, and I'm totally overwhelmed... TIA!

ADS

DawgDad

One child and a need for an SUV? Is it for future planning or the need for AWD? Just trying to get an understanding on the need before making some recommendations. There could be much safer and less costly vehicles that would meet your needs than you may be aware of that are not SUVs.

akulaji

We would like to have AWD so that we don't have to deal with snow tires every winter. We also have a property that we go up to that is not paved/rugged terrain, so a lower car isn't always able to access it depending on the road condition. (This is secondary, since we also have a Jeep, but a carseat in a 2 door Wrangler isn't fun to have to deal with on a day to day basis.) I also have family that lives within driving distance, so there is a fair amount of car travel. I assumed having an SUV would mean more cargo space for overnight trips. If there are cars that fit that bill of larger cargo space and AWD, I would be open to those suggestions too. Currently I have a Saturn Ion3, and my poor husband is squished in the front. It's tight if anyone has to sit in the back with the carseat in the center, and trunk space is super tight for travel if we are bringing a stroller and pack and play.

kathysr98

The Ford Five Hundred was available in AWD, is a full size car, so your dh should fit fine, has center LATCH, and has a HUGE trunk. It might be a good option.

MUTigers

How tall is your husband? Does he have long legs or torso or pretty even?

I have an ion and my 6'9" DH can drive it but it's not ideal by far, and the dog can barely sit behind him. He drives an '08 jeep liberty. Still can't fit a car seat (or really even a person) behind him, but the other two back seats are options.

DawgDad

Subaru Outback or Forester...

The small compact SUVs don't get a lot of room for taller people with long legs...you will not have enough room for the carseats in the back. You need a midsize SUV or fullsize vehicle to make it work.

Toyota Highlander
Honda Pilot
Ford Explorer
Subaru Forester
Subaru Outback

All have AWD/4WD capabilities...are safe, look good, and will accommodate your needs for rugged terrain and long trips. The latter will probably be better at the pump.

MUTigers

Subaru Outback or Forester... The small compact SUVs don't get a lot of room for taller people with long legs...you will not have enough room for the carseats in the back. You need a midsize SUV or fullsize vehicle to make it work. Toyota Highlander Honda Pilot Ford Explorer Subaru Forester Subaru Outback All have AWD/4WD capabilities...are safe, look good, and will accommodate your needs for rugged terrain and long trips. The latter will probably be better at the pump.

Keep in mind though that even most of these vehicles will not work for very tall or long legged people. Virtually no car seat will fit RFing behind my husband (as the driver) in any of these vehicles. An expedition is about the smallest vehicle possible for that, a large truck is better.

DawgDad

Keep in mind though that even most of these vehicles will not work for very tall or long legged people. Virtually no car seat will fit RFing behind my husband (as the driver) in any of these vehicles. An expedition is about the smallest vehicle possible for that, a large truck is better.

In the end, you just need to try them out. People sit differently in cars with or without long legs. Some require the need to have their legs fully extended while others sit closer up...it all depends. I know you don't have the car seats with you to try them out, perhaps you could borrow a RF car seat just for show? Either that of you can look online at the measurements of one you are leaning towards and then carry the measuring tape to see the distance of the back of the front seat to the back of the rear seat?

SavsMom

In the end, you just need to try them out. People sit differently in cars with or without long legs. Some require the need to have their legs fully extended while others sit closer up...it all depends. I know you don't have the car seats with you to try them out, perhaps you could borrow a RF car seat just for show? Either that of you can look online at the measurements of one you are leaning towards and then carry the measuring tape to see the distance of the back of the front seat to the back of the rear seat?

I agree - your best bet is to make a list of those you like that are in your budget and take the time to test drive them and find what works best.
To those that were listed I would add the Ford Escape - it has a nice rear seat, a center car seat install rear or forward facing allows for more front passenger room and it should be budget friendly.

aporthole

I have to loudly and adamantly disagree with the recommendation for the Ford Explorer. The 2nd row depth is PUNY for rear facing seats especially if mom or dad are on the taller side. The 2nd row is NOT 3 across friendly if that is ever needed. The 2nd row bench model has a nearly useless center seat that is incompatible with the vast majority of seats both rear and forward facing.

The Honda Pilot is SO much better for 2nd row useable width and depth. My 6'1" hubby can have the front seat just a smidge shy of all the way back and slightly reclined with a variety of rear facing seats behind him and can go all the way back if he puts the seat more upright in our 2011 Pilot. 3 across is totally possible as well. 3 full sets of LATCH 2nd row, 1 set 3rd row plus top tethers for every 2nd & 3rd row seating position.

T4K

We rented an Explorer and we were not impressed. I'm an average size 6 adult woman and my butt couldn't fit in the middle of the second row.

akulaji

I have to loudly and adamantly disagree with the recommendation for the Ford Explorer. The 2nd row depth is PUNY for rear facing seats especially if mom or dad are on the taller side. The 2nd row is NOT 3 across friendly if that is ever needed. The 2nd row bench model has a nearly useless center seat that is incompatible with the vast majority of seats both rear and forward facing.

The Honda Pilot is SO much better for 2nd row useable width and depth. My 6'1" hubby can have the front seat just a smidge shy of all the way back and slightly reclined with a variety of rear facing seats behind him and can go all the way back if he puts the seat more upright in our 2011 Pilot. 3 across is totally possible as well. 3 full sets of LATCH 2nd row, 1 set 3rd row plus top tethers for every 2nd & 3rd row seating position.

I think the Honda Pilot is on the top of our list, but I don't think it's going to work in our budget unless we go with an older model. We saw one yesterday, but it didn't have the second row center LATCH. I think it was an '05 or '06 if I remember correctly. Any idea what year they added the center LATCH? I tried googling it, but am having a hard time weeding through the results to find an answer.

kathysr98

I have to loudly and adamantly disagree with the recommendation for the Ford Explorer. The 2nd row depth is PUNY for rear facing seats especially if mom or dad are on the taller side. The 2nd row is NOT 3 across friendly if that is ever needed. The 2nd row bench model has a nearly useless center seat that is incompatible with the vast majority of seats both rear and forward facing. The Honda Pilot is SO much better for 2nd row useable width and depth. My 6'1" hubby can have the front seat just a smidge shy of all the way back and slightly reclined with a variety of rear facing seats behind him and can go all the way back if he puts the seat more upright in our 2011 Pilot. 3 across is totally possible as well. 3 full sets of LATCH 2nd row, 1 set 3rd row plus top tethers for every 2nd & 3rd row seating position.

Did you adjust the second row seat back? The 40 section, at least, is adjustable.

aporthole

Did you adjust the second row seat back? The 40 section, at least, is adjustable.

Yes. I've recent worked in 3 different ones and with the 2nd row all the way back there was still insufficient space for many of the rear facing seats we tried with parents on the taller side. The Britax convertibles, NextFit, KeyFit and SnugRide (30 if I recall correctly) worked, but Radian with angle adjuster as well as a Maxi-Cosi Mico were both too big front to back in the outboard seats. The Radian had a borderline iffy install center with angle adjuster and was completely incompatible without the angle adjuster. The Mico was completely incompatible center.

aporthole

I think the Honda Pilot is on the top of our list, but I don't think it's going to work in our budget unless we go with an older model. We saw one yesterday, but it didn't have the second row center LATCH. I think it was an '05 or '06 if I remember correctly. Any idea what year they added the center LATCH? I tried googling it, but am having a hard time weeding through the results to find an answer.

Center lower anchors started in 09 as well as the 3rd row passenger side lower anchors. Prior to that no center lower anchors and none in 3rd row but there have always been the 6 top tethers, so and older one is still great as well.

DawgDad

That's a common problem in most vehicles. Center seats often do not have LATCH, especially in older models. Those that do are quite revered on this board for it's ease of use in multiple car seat installs.

Have you looked at Subaru's?

akulaji

That's a common problem in most vehicles. Center seats often do not have LATCH, especially in older models. Those that do are quite revered on this board for it's ease of use in multiple car seat installs.

Have you looked at Subaru's?

I haven't looked at Subarus. I have a friend that said that Subarus are notorious for needing the head gasket replaced... and.... something else... I can't remember what it was. Whatever it was, it was a big ticket item, so it made me leery.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC