Question Would you turn a 5 yo RF for a 6.5 hour trip?

Would you turn a 5 year old RF for a 6.5 hour trip?

• No, leave them FF

Votes: 21 65.6%
  • Yes, turn them RF

Votes: 11 34.4%

• Total voters

djma

DD is 5 years 1 month. 32-33 lbs dressed.

Would you turn your child (if that age/size) RF for a 6.5 hour trip?

Seat would be a SureRide.

ETA I am aware that she is perfectly safe FF, I am just looking to see if anyone would. Don't need statistics or data, just looking for personal opinions.

Last edited:
ADS

Baylor

No. Not for any reason. 5 and properly secured in a proper seat that is properly installed is completely safe.

Keeks64

Likely not but given the head slump my DS has in his FR I might consider it for a long drive purely for comfort :)

leighi123

I'd let the kid choose, they are safe either way. My ds hates being FF (on the airplane when he has to)

thepote

I would offer if the child had head slump, but honestly I have turned a 3yo ff for a long ride for convenience and view (he and his brother could switch seats, etc), so I may be the opposite :p

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Hmmm...I don't have a kid of that age, so I don't know for sure. But I guess I wouldn't hesitate to do it if you think the kid would be more comfortable that way. Like you said, they would be safe either way at that age, so it's really just a matter of which way would be more comfy.

NatesMamma

I'd leave it up to the kid.

We're going on a 16+ hr road trip next month. DS barely fits the RN RF, so I asked if he wanted turned for the trip. Let him know it might be comfier for sleeping, keeping toys on his lap, etc. He said no way. LOL

Jackie010307

If my kids had fit and asked at that age I would have, but they would have to really want to and understand that I'm not stopping if they change their mind and want to turn back. If she's asking maybe try it out before you leave and let her decide.

bnsnyde

Yes, it's safer. Why not be as safe as you can?

I don't have a 5 or even 3 YO I could though! They are 45 or more lbs, lol.

AllieK

If I had the option to RF my 5yr old he would always ride that way. The only reason I turn my kids is because they exceed the height/weight limits for RF in the seat.

To answer your question, yes I would.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
If the child didn't object and I thought the child would be more comfortable, why not?

Not primarily for safety reasons, but added safety is always a bonus.

My daughter is 4 and is significantly less comfortable forward facing for long trips. If she were small enough to RF, she still would be, especially on long trips.

I'd at least offer the option to the child.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I probably wouldn't for my kids, though think it is a perfectly reasonable choice.

At that age, my choice would depend on which way they would likely be more comfortable and therefore less likely to be a distraction.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC