Question Best (used) cars for two tall adults and two RF carseats

trf111

Hi, all, I'm new to this forum but it looks absolutely amazing. I'm so glad you all (we all) are out here helping each other figure these things out!

We are shopping for a used car, ideally in the $7000-8000 range but could go a bit higher if we need to, that can fit two rf car seats, two relatively tall adults (6'3" and 5'9"), has at least some luggage capacity in the back (for the associated kid stuff and parent stuff too) and has good gas mileage and a good maintenance record.

I know there are some compact SUVs that would fit the bill - the 2006 Subaru Forester has a blue book value of about $8000, for instance - but we would like to have a few more choices. The Honda CR-V might work also, though we are not sure how far back in the model years we can go and still get the same leg room. We're also definitely interested in sedans - Toyota Camry? Honda Accord? Ford Focus? - since they usually have better gas mileage and are probably also cheaper. But we are especially uncertain about the issue of leg room with RF car seats in sedans.

One more thing... we don't actually have the car seats yet, or the kids to put in them... we hope they are ~12 months away. So, we can also get a specific brand or model of seat if we need to, to make a particular car work (obviously, within the bounds of safety and available seats).

What should be on our short list?

Thanks very much for your help!

ADS

SavsMom

The 2006 Forester isn't going to give you a lot of rear seat room with taller front seat driver/passenger.

Are you only interested in suvs? Or are you open to a van or sedan?

Brigala

CPST Instructor
We have been car shopping recently and I was impressed with the room in the Volvo that I thought was plenty roomy enough to accommodate rear-facing seats in both outboard positions in the 2nd row. Now, I was looking at an XC-90 which doesn't fit your gas mileage criteria, but they do have smaller "crossover" vehicles or station wagons which would be better on that front. I ruled out the XC-90 for our family due largely to the too-cramped 3rd row; I need something I can haul multiple adults in as well as my soon-to-be-2 small children.

Anyway, you might be surprised at the price of used higher-end vehicles. We were looking at Tahoes and ended up with a Mercedes GL-class instead because with similar years/miles the Mercedes was actually quite a bit cheaper as well as being the best fit for our family and our need for maximum passenger flexibility. Now, the GL-class is still well out of your price range, but the Volvos are quite a bit more affordable. I was looking at some that were in the $7k range and that was the XC-90; a wagon should be cheaper (or get you a newer or lower-miles option for that amount of money).

trf111

Thanks for advice so far. We are focused on sedans or SUVs; vans are currently out primarily for gas mileage reasons but also because my wife can't stand the look and style of them.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Yeah, we ruled out vans because we are moving in a year or so and will be living on a gravel road. We need the extra durability and ground clearance we get out of an SUV. And we found that while SUVs also get lousy gas mileage, they weren't significantly worse than minivans.

bubbaray

I'm 5'9" and my DH is 6'. We found the Ford Flex very roomy in the driver's and passenger's seat when we had a rental for 2 weeks. Styling isn't for everyone. Moreso than the other vehicles you've listed

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC