Rainier vs. Radian RXT

mairep

Is the Rainier a better/safer seat than the Radian? We are replacing our two Radian RXTs after a minor accident, and we're wondering if we should "upgrade" to the Rainier. My children will outgrow either seat by height long before reaching the weight limits, so the extra five pounds that the Rainier allows won't make a difference for us. I know that the Rainier boasts better side impact protection, but is there any other advantage?

The primary car that the seats will be in is a 2013 Toyota Sienna (with the seats installed in the middle row), but occasionally, like when our minivan goes in for maintenance or repairs, they will need to be installed in a 2001 two-door VW Golf. Currently, the Radians just barely fit RF in the Golf. If they were any taller, they would make it very uncomfortable (and probably somewhat dangerous) for the driver and passenger. I know that the Rainier is slightly wider at the top than the Radian, but is it any taller?

TIA!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
No seats are better or safer than another. They all pass the same tests, and we don't know if anything beyond that.

The Rainier is the same height, and will last the child the same amount of time by height.

If you really don't need extra weight, you could save money and get an R100. It doesn't have headwings or memory foam, but otherwise the height and install is the same as the RXTs you had.

Wendy

lgenne

Note that the RF limit is 40 lbs for the R100, vs 45 for the RXT and 50 for the Rainier. My DS1 outgrew the R100 by height before weight, but he also has a very long torso, so I'm not sure how typical that is. But I think most kids will outgrow the RXT by height before weight.

The R120 has a 45 lb limit and might also be a reasonable compromise.

mairep

I know I won't need 50lbs, but I would feel more comfortable having the 45lbs limit than 40lbs. Our auto insurance is covering the cost of replacing the RXTs, so we wouldn't save anything by getting the R100 or the R120.

I guess I'm wondering if the added side impact protection that the Rainier boasts is worth the extra money. I know that all seats pass the same crash tests, but is it safe to assume that Diono is not just making it up? Do they do their own crash tests on their own seats?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
All companies do their own crash tests. NHTSA comes around afterwards and makes sure no one is lying, basically.

As of right now there are not, and never have been, side impact standards. So they could touch it with a feather and call it done, or they could slam it against the wall and call it done. It could be something out of the marketing department and not from testing.

However, it's also known that there ARE side impact standards coming in 2018, and they all know it. So right now it's a voluntary testing, and my guess is it's pretty in line with that is coming, but there is no way to know.

Wendy

YinzerMama

All companies do their own crash tests. NHTSA comes around afterwards and makes sure no one is lying, basically.

As of right now there are not, and never have been, side impact standards. So they could touch it with a feather and call it done, or they could slam it against the wall and call it done. It could be something out of the marketing department and not from testing.

However, it's also known that there ARE side impact standards coming in 2018, and they all know it. So right now it's a voluntary testing, and my guess is it's pretty in line with that is coming, but there is no way to know.

Wendy

reviving an old(ish) thread here but do you mean you suspect the rxt is in line with what is coming as far as testing or that the rainier has come out because they don't think the rxt is going to pass standards?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC