Turning a 4.5 year old back to RF

lgenne

In my anxiety over the crappy recent crash test results of the Mazda 5, I thought through all my options. None were good. Trade in a 6 month old vehicle? For what? We need this vehicle to fit our kids and our garage. Nothing else fits the bill. Get a Pinnacle for the large 4.5 yo? Maybe.

The 2.5 yo and the baby on the way can RF for a long time. Nothing on the US market can handle the 4.5 yo height-wise. So I looked at Swedish seats.

The Britax Two Way Elite was the obvious choice, given his height. I talked it up to him. He could ride backwards! He could have a red car seat! He could sit all the way in the back and look right out the window! He was excited, so I ordered it.

Things didn't go quite as smoothly as I hoped. He loved it when he first tried it, until I actually started driving. "Slow DOWN, Mom!" (I was going about 20 mph.) "Another car is about to hit us!" (It was coming to a stop behind us at a red light.)

After a day of that, he announced that he didn't like it. I told him it would stop feeling weird before too long. A couple more days and the complaints got less and less frequent. Then he tells me, "Mom, guess what? I'm not scared in my new car seat anymore. I love it now!"

It's really convenient to have him back there, or at least it will be once we have 3 kids in the car. He's more able to get in and out by himself than the 2yo. And I don't want to put the baby back there. It would not be convenient to have him back there FF.

ADS

cookie123

I'm glad the 2 way elite is working out for you. At least you can always use it for your younger kids later. Sorry about the Mazda 5. I really wanted it too.

bnsnyde

Neat! Mine just turned 3 and I had to FF him already. He was at 45 lbs. and we have a Radian. And, he's really, really tall. Doubt anything would fit him! Dad is 6'4".

He has trouble getting into the seat now, though, since I had to put the seatback up and he nose dives! It's pretty awful. But once school starts I he'll hardly be in the car, and when he is he can go in the 2nd row if all sibs are not with me. I keep 8 YO in a harnessed seat so we always have that handy.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC