Question Need a new car

cryswilkins

We looking at used Vans. I'm between a Nissan Quest, Ody, and Sienna. I want to spend under $20k.

Anyone have a quest? I don't hear much about it.

ADS

thepote

We have a 2005 Ody that we bought new. It has 135k on it and I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

For the Quest, the third row split bench didn't come until 2010+, so before that it's all-or-nothing for that third row, which was the deal breaker when we looked at them.

DawgDad

How many kids and kids in carseats? If you have 3 or more, you will probably want to look at the older model Sienna's (2003-2009) as they had more Top Tethers and room to install car seats over the current model. All that really does is just give you more flexibility in how you install and where in your car. The newer model, 2010+, are probably within your price range, but you will just be limited to where you can install some of your carseats.

The Odyssey got a lot of great improvements in the 2011+ model (current gen), but the previous one was also phenomenal as well and can be had for great prices across the used lots.......if you can find them.

The Quest...this one for me actually came in after the Chrysler. I don't like the seats, look, driveability, and overall use of the car. I am just not a huge Nissan fan and dislike CVT. They aren't horrible, but they aren't nearly as prevalent on the used market in their current generation. The former generation had more sales, so you might find them more on the market.

cryswilkins

I've got three kids, 1 booster, 1 FF harness, 1 RFing.

I only have 3 TT now in my Freestyle so I'm not terribly concerned about configuration options. Interesting about the CVT on the Quest. We have a CVT Freestyle now, and I like it. However, the trans is acting funny and that is why we are looking. I want to ditch it before it's an dead.

I greatly dislike the T&C and the Caravan. But I haven't been in one with the newer seat design.

My want list is: rear air, power door(s), power lift gate, and Aux in. My Freestyle is loaded so I am really spoiled.

Parenting and posting at the same time, please excuse my typos.

DawgDad

I've got three kids, 1 booster, 1 FF harness, 1 RFing.

I only have 3 TT now in my Freestyle so I'm not terribly concerned about configuration options. Interesting about the CVT on the Quest. We have a CVT Freestyle now, and I like it. However, the trans is acting funny and that is why we are looking. I want to ditch it before it's an dead.

I greatly dislike the T&C and the Caravan. But I haven't been in one with the newer seat design.

My want list is: rear air, power door(s), power lift gate, and Aux in. My Freestyle is loaded so I am really spoiled.

It's more for me a personal preference on the CVT. I like to hear my car change gears...it's a comforting sound to hear. Makes me feel, even in an automatic, I am in control. :cool:

I don't like the Chrysler/Dodge/Volkswagon van either...that's just how much I don't like the Quest. ;)

My recommendation is to look at a 2009 or 2010 Honda Odyssey EX-L with RES (Rear-Entertainment System). The car will come with leather, 3 zone automatic climate control, power doors & liftgate (both at the driver side, at the door handles, and key fob), rear-entertainment system with wireless headphones, removable 8th seat w/ slide over middle seat (pushes two captains chairs together and creates a dedicated row to the 3rd row), and a back-up camera integrated into the rear-view mirror. It's the safest minivan on the used & new market (check IIHS and Safercar.gov) compared to the Sienna, Quest, Sedona, and Chrysler variants.

In the end, my opinion is just that...my opinion. Sure, I share it with practically every major automobile reviewer out there that the Odyssey is the best minivan you could buy...just look at the resale values :p. However, in the end you need to drive them. See which one you like the best, fits your lifestyle and needs, and what you can get for the budget you are in. I like to work up a list of my top 5 requirements to keep it simple when going out on a test drive. I grade on a scale of 1-5 on how well each car I am looking at scores in those categories. I tally the score, and usually I have a pretty clear winner. It might help you clear the fog of choosing a car.

cryswilkins

With the RES, if I don't care about DVD and all that will it still have rear air and power lift gate and doors? I'm getting dizzy with all the trim options and what has what.

Also is it weird that I think the leather on the Oddy is kinda ugly? I don't know if that's a deal breaker though.

Anyone know what model Sienna has the power doors and gate?

Mags462

With the RES, if I don't care about DVD and all that will it still have rear air and power lift gate and doors? I'm getting dizzy with all the trim options and what has what.

Also is it weird that I think the leather on the Oddy is kinda ugly? I don't know if that's a deal breaker though.

I don't like the Oddy styling in the 2005-2010 years, but i think the colors are NICE :p

As for your Sienna question any model year between 2004-2010 above a CE (so an LE, XLE and XLE Limited)) could come with power doors/hatch. In 2004/2005 the options were piece mealed so you could pick and choose without buying a "set package"..... in 2006 it was standardized so the options on each trim level are pretty much the same. I have a 2005 XLE that has every option except for leather and AWD - which made people not like it and got me one heck of a deal :p

I would skip the Nissan altogether and if you want a cheaper option to consider put the Kia/Hyundai 2006 or newer on the list instead.

For me personally i feel like Toyota had the edge functionality/style wise in the 2004-2010 years.... its a great van. And not saying the Honda's aren't a good van I just think Toyota edged them out slightly. In the 2011 year though when both companies redesigned Honda beat the crap out of Toyota ;)

Timing belts on Toyotas need to be replaced around 90K - so if you are looking at vans with mid80K mileage just know you will need to have that work done soon - so either make them replace it before you buy or get the price down knowing you have a pricey "repair" coming up. It's "regular" maintenance but its spendy at roughly 800 bucks. I'm sure Honda's will need the same but i don't know at what mileage.

FTR i have had my 2005 for 5 years and never had any issue with it. It now has roughly 112K on it and the dealership says its in awesome shape. I intend to drive it for many years to come :D

DawgDad

Yep! Rear air comes on the EX-L trims.

Leather, mostly in 10 year old cars, will not look that great. Not only that, we are talking a minivan. This usually has had kids, car seats, and animals crawling all over it and putting it through the ringers. Also, I have always noticed that used leather seats look horrible in pictures and much better in person. I don't know why auto-dealers armor-all them up for picture time...it doesn't make it look better.

You definitely need to drive the two (Sienna & Odyssey) if that's what you have narrowed it down to. Get a feel for it, choose which one you like and then start your quest for the perfect one with color, mileage, price, and trim options.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC