Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Moderator - CPS Technician

What cars should be on our short list?

We just dodged a bullet when we found out that our noisy exhaust problem on our 1997 Subaru station wagon is only going to cost $30 to fix. But before we knew that, we had started thinking about what to replace the Subaru with when it dies, as it surely will, sooner or later.

One of our friends is selling their 2000 Land Rover with 144k miles for $2000. Dh thought that would be a great option; I really don't. I'd rather have other good options to suggest when the subject comes up again. The one and only good thing about the Land Rover is the price. In all other ways (age, passenger capacity, gas mileage - 8 cylinder motor, etc), it is not a good car for us (IMO). Well, the other good thing about it is all/four wheel drive. We do want that.

So, help me get a list together. We want AWD/4WD since we live in a hilly, snowy place with inadequate plowing. (Last winter our van got stuck 3 times, and it would have been more if we hadn't opted for the Subaru in the worst weather/conditions. And dh is resistant to getting it snow tires.)

We also want it to fit our whole family (6 people). We don't care too much about cargo space because we wouldn't likely take it on big trips. Good gas mileage would be a big plus. Cheap would also be a big plus. (ETA: not really sure on budget b/c we don't know how long we'll have to save up - I'd say under $10k is likely.)

I have driven an Astro/Safari minivan and that is out.

Ideas?
    Last edited by jjordan; 08-20-2014 at 06:30 PM.
    Cutie #1 (13 years) 5-stepping
    Cutie #2 (10 years) riding in a Safety 1st Incognito

Cutie #3 (7 years) riding in a Chicco KidFit
    Cutie #4 (6 years) riding in a Frontier
    Cutie #5 (3 years) riding in a Nuna Rava

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Re: What cars should be on our short list?

Land Rovers are very capable vehicles, but they have a reputation for being unreliable and requiring costly and time-consuming repairs. Whether or not that reputation is truly deserved is hard to say, but certainly JD Power's Dependability study shows them at almost bottom in the industry:

http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/201...ss-Release.htm

If you want 4WD and seating for at least six, with reasonable gas mileage and reliabillity, I'd probably be on the lookout for a Toyota Sienna AWD minivan. Not sure what availability would be like in your area and price range, but based on a quick search online, somewhere around the 2004-2005 model year should get you near the $10K mark.

If you want to expand your search further, it sounds like a mid-size, 3-row SUV like the Toyota Highlander, Ford Explorer or Honda Pilot would also work for you.

Safety-wise, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety's website (iihs.org) is a good source for safety ratings. Pick the vehicle you're interested in and then "other model years" to see a summary chart -- sometimes you can see a clear jump in scores starting with a particular model year.

4. Thank You from:

I think a Sienna with AWD is going to be nearly impossible to find around here for cheap. Currently there are none on Autotrader within 100 miles (for <$10k).

Thanks for the tip on IIHS ratings!

Gas mileage isn't ideal but our '06 Explorer was great on slick roads. DH would always take it when weather wasn't good, and very rarely engaged the 4WD because the traction control worked so well. Mind you, we live in Arkansas, so we don't get that much snow, but when we do, it likely has a layer of ice under it.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

7. Thank You from:

9. Thank You from:

Haha...great suggestions Darren. I was going to post the same suggestion for make/model. The Freestyle that turned into the Taurus X and what we now know as the Flex. Underrated car.

11. Thank You from:

Lol I recommend the same ones all the time;-)

Carseat Crazy

What about the Chevy Traverse?

16. Thank You from:

Quote Originally Posted by AllieK View Post
    What about the Chevy Traverse?
    Yup the Traverse and Enclave are the same as Outlook and Acadia, but they didn't make them until a couple years later so I figured they might be somewhat more expensive.

The prices on those Ford Freestyles are kind of crazy good. That is definitely on the short list! Why is it not more popular? Is it just that no one thinks of Ford when they want a crossover-type car?

Thanks for the help! Next time our Subie gives us a scare, I'll have a good list going to show dh.

Hasn't been around for years, plus depreciation on Ford/GM/Chrysler products is generally greater than Honda/Toyota/Subaru. I didn't look closely at any of those listings, sometimes you get a batch of vehicles that don't have clear titles due to recent floods or something, so be sure to check that stuff out of course.

And if you like Subaru, I wonder if an early Tribeca with the third row would interest you?

http://www.abwautos.com/2007-Subaru-...-06770/5138543

http://www.nyautoauction.com/2008-Su...uWjvKCxrRiA%3d

A Tribeca *definitely* interests me. (If we could fit all our kids in another Subaru station wagon without strapping one to the roof, we'd do it!) I will put that on the short list as well. Subarus can sometimes be hard to come by up here because they are so well-liked, but maybe if we have a mild winter (ha!), then people will be selling them off.

And I think the third row was optional, at least the first couple years, so finding less expensive ones that have it will be even tougher. Might have to drive to NYC:/

Carmax is usually overpriced, but if you have one near you, they will ship from any store nationwide for a fee.

Carseat Crazy
    I loved my Freestyle, and am driving a Flex now. If you have questions about either, I'd be happy to help.
    Mama to Josie (4/08, 47lbs & 49"), retriever-cat Hotrod, munchkin-cat Gizmo, and hell-cat Leggs.