At what age/point to booster??

wnkw

Did will be 7 on 9/11. She rides in a fr85 98% of the time. She also has a turbo booster. Since we have multiple fr85s she rarely rides in the TB except a few miles round trip. She has used it for a few 40min one way trips, but she just can't sit still. The fr85 just looks more comfortable when she falls asleep. She would be fine in a booster 100% of the time, but I'm just more comfortable with her in fr85.

At what point do you use a backless booster??? We need a couple of spare seats And she is about to outgrow the fr85s harness. In mils Volvo she has to use the tb w/o back, but only goes a mile or two.

When to use HB booster?
When to use NB/LB booster?
Cheap options for extended family vehicles?

47ish", but wears 8 or 10 shirt
60lbs

ADS

aeormsby

We started using a NBB pretty early as a 'just in case' type seat. I think we got one for DD when she was about 5.5 yo (at the time she was still harnessed in our main vehicle and had been using a HBB in our 2nd vehicle since she turned 5). We converted her PW to a NBB in our main vehicle when she was almost 8.5yo (so she's currently using a NBB in 2 of our vehicles and a HBB in our truck because the headrest/seatback isn't tall enough).

With DS he started using a HBB part time when he was about 5y9m, he slept great in it from the start. This spring we got a 3rd vehicle and just put his spare NBB in that for him. So he's 6.5 and HBB in 2 vehicles, NBB inthe 3rd, although if we're going to be driving more than an hour or there's any chance he'll fall asleep (which he does more than his sister) we put a HBB in for him.

My kids have never had a problem sleeping in their HBB, actually, DS slumped more when we first moved him to the Frontier (harnessed) then he has in a HBB.

If your DD is tall (sounds like a long torso in size 8-10 shirts, my 8.5yo is 50" is still mainly in 7-8) I'd say there aren't going to be many HBB's that will last long, especially if you're looking for lower cost. I'd get NBB's for extras and use a HBB in your vehicle(s) for another 1-2 years.

wnkw

What about the Costco topside booster? $12 something on amazon. We'll keep her in the fr85s in our vehicles..

aeormsby

The only thing I know about that one is it has the odd belt routing, the shoulder belt doesn't go under the armrests at all.

We have the Harmony Literider/Youthbooster for our dedicated NBB's. ($13 @ Walmart)

hesgimenez

DS is just over 8 1/2 and has been in a backless booster about a month. He was harnessed until a month after turning 7. Then high back booster until just recently. It is definitely scary going from step to step. I will say I love the ease of a no back booster. And it's so light!

justhat

My son turned 8yo this month, he is 55lbs and 50.5". We moved him from the harness in the Fromtier85 to the booster feature in the same seat a few weeks ago. He still fit well harnessed and hadn't complained so until I took it out to wash it I didn't see a reason to move him.

In my husband's car he uses a Parkway (with the back) and has for hmm, about a year. We also have a backless turbo booster that he has used for occasional rides with friends since about 6yo.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC