Some questions about maxi-van seat belts

mom1mg

We might be buying a 1994 Ford F350 Club Wagon. I have it here at my house and was playing with it and I don't understand some things-

1) The lap/shoulder belts in the rear do not lock, even when I tug on them quickly. I can't see six seat belts being broken - lol SO how do they work in an accident? The front ones DO lock with a tug. I understand I will need locking clips for my carseat passengers but do these seat belt actually protect people without a carseat and is there a way to test them to make sure they are all working?

2) The manual - It actually had one! - says that you can not instal a carseat with the lap belts. Is that still accurate? It says if you do they may not be tight against the seat and may tip forward in an accident, although rear facing car seats are ok - I think. BUT then it goes on to talk about how you "might" want to use a tether. Since obviously I MUST use a tether can I ignore the info about the lap belts or are they really not safe? I KNOW people instal carseats with lap belts all the time - would getting a different bench work if these belts are no good or do all vans say that?

3) Off the top of your head is anyone familiar with aftermarket headrests and/or know where I can get them? I have seen the tutorial online on how to make your own from caravan seats but I have also seen pictures of ones that slip on to the seat but not where you would buy them.

I REALLY am not thrilled with this van but if we can make it work I need to make it work. It is large enough to fit our family and has a wheelchair lift for the mobility scooter I now need. I would love to buy something nicer, newer and safer but that isn't an option right now having suddenly become disabled without time to safe for a different car.

ADS

Keeyamah

I've got a partial answer for you at least. Wish I had more complete, but I'm not familiar with that vehicle.

1) you might have light weight locking latch plates instead of a switching retractor. Seats with locking latchplates lock at the buckle (and don't usually need locking clips). I know there is a thread or blog around here about how to tell what kind of locking mechanism your belts have. I'll see if I can find it.

Keeanh

Hi :) I'm Devon on FB. I messaged you there, but this might be a better forum for discussion rather than FB chat. Let us know how the lap belts work and then we can give you more info on installing with them.

As for the headrests, it really wasn't a big deal at all. The only work you might have to do is poking holes in the cover for the headrest posts. If you want, you can get the salvage yard guys to load stuff into your van and get the body shop guys to unload the benches, strip them, weld, gouge out the foam, and put the cover back on.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC