34 pound 5 year old on school bus

Malka

My kids will be going on a bus to school for the first time this year. I plan to install a 5 point car seat for my 28 pound 3 and a half year old. My 5 year old only weighs 34 pounds, so he should be in a 5 point as well, right? He uses one in the car. We live in NJ. Are there laws about this? Apparently the bus company says no one needs one since there are seat belts on the bus. Thanks!

ADS

cantabdad

It looks like NJ's carseat law specifically excludes school buses. I'm not an expert in this area, but since there are no other responses here, I would point out that school buses are a very safe form of transportation, with a safety record that is much better than cars. NJ is one of a small number of states that also require seatbelts on school buses. That being said, school buses' "compartmentalization" safety design is primarily intended for kids over about 40 pounds. You would have to see how well the seatbelt fits, too. If you're not comfortable with the situation then a 5-point harnessed carseat might be preferable. There are some special considerations when installing a carseat on a school bus because the seatbelts can be different, there are generally no top tethers, and the presence of the carseat can affect compartmentalization for other occupants.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC