Health insurance covering seats?

jennzee

Someone in my due date group posted that she was told some health insurance companies will reimburse for carseats and everyone is getting all excited about it. Has anyone ever heard of this before? I mentioned that car insurance companies will replace after ad accident, but I've never heard it mentioned before that health insurance will contribute to the cost of a seat. Is she up in the night?

ADS

Aurezalia

The only thing I can think of is special needs seats... Maybe she read a clause about SN seat coverage and interpreted it to mean any car seat? That's the only thing I can think of.

sarahlove

I always thought that was more for when you needed a special needs seat.
I think I've seen one or two that allow you to buy from the company at a discounted price but I do believe they were more for young parents and lower income.

Suzibeck

Never heard of it. My home owners insurance gives a discount for fire extinguishers, I wonder if it is something like that?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
USAA did a short-lived promotion. Now it comes up once in a while online but if you call they say that was ten years ago and they don't do that any more...

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Some medicaid programs in a few states (MA for one) send out free seats on request (Apts and backless boosters, mostly, I think.)

2BunniesMommy

My health insurance specifically does not include car seats. I do remember my sister getting one through her health ins. when her DD was around a year old...in 1988. I have no idea if any ins does that now or not.

hiddensunshine

http://www.bcbsvt.com/betterbeginnings

Blue Cross Blue Shield of VT offers a free 'Better Beginnings' program for expecting mothers. They offer $150 towards a car seat (reimbursement) that can be used for infants as one of the options in the program. I was talking with my HR rep and she stated Better Beginnings is relatively new, but BCBS stated they put it in place to encourage pre-natal and post-natal care, and to encourage breastfeeding and ultimately a healthier next generation.

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
In Washington, 1 of the medicare programs gives carseats to their members. They have "infant" (convertible seats) or "toddler" (belt positioning booster). That is bad enough, but they also just mail them out with no education or information on proper use other than the manual.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC