Mazda CX5?

ADS

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Anyone drive one? Installed 3 car seats in one?

There's something about how they do the split of the rear seat in certain models that apparently makes installing 3 seats not possible. I'm sure someone else will give you more details.

It's not very wide though. I've heard the rear seat is as small or smaller than the 14 Mazda3 which I've got and don't see how you'd ever put three seats in it.

So ya, none of my info is useful as it's not definitive. LOL But I researched it awhile back and started a thread and with the answers I got, I knew I wasn't going to be able to fit 2 car seats and an adult back there.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Well I love the CX-5 so I hope someone comes on here and says everyone that couldn't do it is crazy and that it's really easy! LOL Then you can go buy one!

Last edited:

nataliem257

Anyone drive one? Installed 3 car seats in one?

Drove one, loved it, crossed it off the list. The middle seat is beyond useless, there is no seat on the market that could fit there. That being said, I think I read somewhere that the split on the sport trim was a normal 60/40 so depending on what options you wanted that might be an option.

amyd

Just checked out the specs. It's off the list. Somebody find me a car/suv/crossover to fit 5 comfortably, manual transmission, heated leather seats, k? Under $50k

vtbecca

If you can get a Subaru Outback in Manual then that would work. We just got one about a week ago. All 5 of us fit. I only have one in a booster, but he is in the middle and I think I could easily get seats outboard next to him. Headrests and Shoulder belts in all positions, heated leather, well under 50K and very good mileage. I'm in love with it :)

amyd

If you can get a Subaru Outback in Manual then that would work. We just got one about a week ago. All 5 of us fit. I only have one in a booster, but he is in the middle and I think I could easily get seats outboard next to him. Headrests and Shoulder belts in all positions, heated leather, well under 50K and very good mileage. I'm in love with it :)

What year is it? Brand new? I was looking at the 2015 Forester and couldn't get manual with leather. I know the Forester isn't the best for 3 across anyway.

Ali

DH has a 2013 CX5. The middle seat is useless! His is the 40-20-40 split seat. I posted pictures awhile ago - I will try to find them.

How do you link from the app? OP - click on my screen name and you'll find where I posted pictures.

nataliem257

What year is it? Brand new? I was looking at the 2015 Forester and couldn't get manual with leather. I know the Forester isn't the best for 3 across anyway.

You can only get the manual in the lower trims I think. Mitsubishi Outlander? I think you can still get a stick with that one

vtbecca

Our Outback is a 2014, brand new. I didn't even look into the manual options since I knew we wanted auto. The back seat in the outback is wider than the Forester. Not a ton but very noticeable.

God luck in your search. Manual can be hard to find now!

amyd

The new Outback has heated cloth with manual. I'll give up the leather before the manual. I'm so bad at driving an automatic:eek:

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
The new Outback has heated cloth with manual. I'll give up the leather before the manual. I'm so bad at driving an automatic:eek:

How exactly do you drive an automatic badly? LOL The newer automatics in most vehicles are quite good nowadays. All 3 I've got have a manual mode (and in some it's "sport" shift ;)) where you can shift yourself. No clutch of course, but still can be fun. But the rest of the time when the kids are screaming, you can forget about concentrating.

I was a hardcode manual driver. That's what I learnt on when I was 15 and all I ever drove for 18 years until I got my first automatic.

I'm honestly not trying to convert you. But just saying you'll open a world of possibilities for vehicles if you allow an automatic. Oh, and many current vehicles now get better gas mileage with the auto trans. My 2014 Mazda3 being one of them!

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I'm bad at driving with cruise control, never use it. Too much of a control freak. I bet driving an automatic when you're used to a manual feels alot like that lol

But like I said, the new ones allow a shift mode where you can shift without the clutch and give yourself the feeling of control back.

I'm a control freak as well but there's one thing I like the most control of and that's my money. And the newer automatics and cruise control both keep more money in my pocket. :ROTFLMAO: (and no one has to agree ;))

vtbecca

I'm bad at driving with cruise control, never use it. Too much of a control freak. I bet driving an automatic when you're used to a manual feels alot like that lol

Have you ever driven an automatic car for an extended period of time? If not maybe you could rent one for a weekend and see how it goes. It would really open up your options

amyd

I am a control freak, yes...lol. And I try to shift and end up with the stupid thing in neutral and I try to use the clutch and the car MOVES FORWARD without me touching the gas! LOL And I ALWAYS shut it off without shifting into park and spend like 3 minutes trying to get the key out of the ignition. Lol

cookie123

I can't imagine wanting a stick. I hate driving them. I hate riding in them. They aggravate my back issue. Now with my feet issues I find myself using cruise because it helps with that. I never liked cruise but I'm starting to.

Anyhoo, I'm so disappointed to hear this about the CX5. It was so on my list. Not that I've driven it or looked at it. Could anyone sit in the middle with no seat and boosters outboard?

katymyers

I am a control freak, yes...lol. And I try to shift and end up with the stupid thing in neutral and I try to use the clutch and the car MOVES FORWARD without me touching the gas! LOL And I ALWAYS shut it off without shifting into park and spend like 3 minutes trying to get the key out of the ignition. Lol
I love driving a manual too. That's the only thing I don't like about my new Odyssey. I needed the space though :(. I wish it could at least be an option on all cars.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC