Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Nextfit or Radian?

We are replacing our two Radian RXTs after a minor accident, and I am trying to decide if I want to replace them with Nextfits or just buy the same Radians again. We have been very happy with the Radians, but since we are getting new seats, I'd like to explore our options.

The seat stats Nextfit/Radian:
    RF Weight: 40lbs/45lbs
    RF Height 50"/44"
    (at least 1" below top of headrest)/(with 1.5" of shell above head)
    FF Weight: 65lbs/80lbs
    FF Height 50"/57"
    (ears below top of headrest, shoulders at or below top harness slot)/(top of the ears are below the shell)

The kids' stats:
    DD: 15 months old, 23.5lbs, 30.25"
    DS: 4 years old, 30lbs, 38.75"

The car:
    2013 Toyota Sienna
    We currently have the two car seats in the middle row captain's chairs

I would like to keep both of them RF for as long as possible. Seriously. I don't care if they're 8 years old - if they meet the seat's RF criteria, they will RF!

So, I'm trying to figure out if I should get the Nextfit for the higher RF height limit or the Radian for it's higher RF weight limits. Or, is there another seat that I should be considering?

TIA!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member lpperry's Avatar

Re: Nextfit or Radian?

Both of those seats should allow you to rf to a more than acceptable age. Either would be a great choice for extended rearfacing. I think it just comes down to which seat you like prefer.

Oliver (5 years) ff Radian RXT, Claudia (3 1/2 years) rf Radian RXT, Avery (2 years months) rf Coccoro, Vivian (3-14) rf Coccoro, Madeline (9) Literider,

CPS Fanatic
    There's also the question of "Are your kids tall, skinny, and long waisted; or are they short waisted and on the heavier side?"

My oldest is large and long waisted. I actually think he probably would have outgrown both before his 3rd birthday. The Nextfit by weight, the Radian by height.

5. Thank You from:

Quote Originally Posted by lgenne View Post
    There's also the question of "Are your kids tall, skinny, and long waisted; or are they short waisted and on the heavier side?" My oldest is large and long waisted. I actually think he probably would have outgrown both before his 3rd birthday. The Nextfit by weight, the Radian by height.
    My son is definitely tall and skinny. He's usually around the 10th %ile for weight and around the 25th %ile for height.
    My daughter, I'm just not sure about, lol! She started off a very chunky baby, 95th %ile for weight, but her height %iles have varied from 30th to 85th. Her first year of growth has been kind of all over the place, but she seems to have leveled off now. She has a check-up tomorrow, so I'll see where she is then.