Travelling to Israel

zsharky82

My 3-year-old son and I are going to Israel at the end of October for my brother's wedding. He usually rides rf in a Radian RXT in my car and a Titan 65 in my mom's car. We planned to bring the Evenflo for him to sit in on the plane and install in any car we end up using in Israel. Except I went on the airline's website and they have a very short list of approved car seats they will allow passengers to use on the plane. It is Austrian Airlines. Basically, the only US or Canadian seat they allow is the Scenera. He is a tall kid, and he's outgrown the Scenera both rf and ff. He is almost 38" and 34 lbs. What are my options to keep him safe on the plane and on our trip? I'd prefer to have him rf because Israeli traffic can be brutal and my dad is not the best driver (and he'll be driving a lot). Should I buy a new seat and check it in the box? Or have my brother buy a seat and pick us up from the airport with it? Would a CARES harness fit at 34 lbs for the plane? I have a few months to figure it out and I'm already finding this stressful!

ADS

cantabdad

Austrian Airlines is owned by Lufthansa and they seem to have the same (or similar) list of "approved" carseats as Lufthansa does.

I recently e-mailed Lufthansa asking whether I could use a US carseat that's not on their list, and they wrote back with an email very specifically stating that any FAA-approved carseat would be OK.

You might have similar luck here. Be sure to email rather than phone, since the call-center people often have no clue about carseats, and you will want to have a written record that you can bring onboard with you. If a flight attendant challenges you, you can show them the airline's approval -- though you still are ultimately somewhat at their mercy since it is not a US-based airline.

If Austrian doesn't give approval for your carseat of choice, an alternative solution would be CARES, which Austrian lists on their website as an approved restraint. It goes to 40" -- which should be fine for your 38" son in October unless he has a huge growth spurt in between.

CARES has certainly gotten mixed reviews here on car-seat.org but there are folks who do like it. And its portability would definitely come in handy when you are changing planes.

If you go with CARES, it sounds like a relative could purchase a suitable carseat on your behalf and install it in the vehicle that you'll be using to leave the airport.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC