Cracked side impact foam - U.K.

U

Unregistered

Hello there,

We are close to the arrival of our second and I was taking the covers off my car seat to wash.

I cracked the polystyrene/foam lining in doing so. It is still all together and all in one place but there is a slight crack.

When putting the covers back on, all is held in place ok. Do you think this would be ok to use. I don't want to take any chances so if this would pose a risk, i would like to know so i can replace it.

Thank you very much in advance for any advice.

Thanks

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Welcome! While most manufacturers will allow you to continue using a seat with cracked (but not dented or missing- foam was cracked incidentally to cleaning or moving) foam, at least until it's replaced, it's always best to contact the manufacturer. :) The manual with your seat should have contact info for your country, and I advise calling them and seeing what they say. They may say it's fine and to tape it in place, or they may be able to sell you new foam.

Adventuredad

It depends a lot on where the styrofoam has cracked, how large the broken piece is, what seat you are using, if it's a rear or forward facing seat and how the crack appears.

A small or even larger crack at the bottom part of the seat is often no issue and can be glued or taped without affecting safety. A crack higher up might be an issue but it depends on how the styrofoam has broken. It can often break in a nice straight line where the side and back of seat meet. This is easy to repair without affecting safety.

In general one should be more careful with broken pieces higher up on the seat. Keeping the head and neck area well protected is highest priority.

Could you please provide more information and preferably a photo of the damage?

ERFmama

Is this on a BeSafe you own? I had this happen to the head piece in the BeSafe and was told by them that if it was a clean crack, which is was it was stight down the middle of the head foam, to just tape it...

But yeh, I would def. call them and ask, apart from that "no more nails" works wonders on styrofoam to keep it together until you get your answer.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC