Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

In between CARES requirements?

I'll be flying with my 3.5 year old in December. The car seat will be at our destination.

I initially thought CARES was the way to go but he's already 42". Unfortunately, he's also only 34 pounds.

Assuming he's still well under 40 lbs by the time we fly, would we be better off using CARES anyway or just the lap belt? It's just a 2-hour flight, no connections.

He does sit quietly and so far doesn't try to unbuckle anything.

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Moderator - CPS Technician

Re: In between CARES requirements?

The FAA recommends a car seat for kids under 40 pounds. However, if it were me, I would likely go without if I were in your situation. My 4.5 year old was about that size when we flew once and he did fine in the seatbelt. If you already have a lightweight harness seat, I'd consider taking that even though you don't need the seat at your destination.

Senior Community Member aeormsby's Avatar

Re: In between CARES requirements?

I'm pretty sure we used our Cares harness over the height limit. If you have one already I'd probably go ahead and use it. If you're wondering whether or not to buy one I'd probably skip it and just use the lap belt on the plane.
    Ann

DD - 1/06 - 5-stepping
    DS - 12/07 - Incognito, Recaro Performance Booster & Harmony Literiders
    And a Bubble Bum for backup/travel