Help me decide please!!!

katymyers

After a long talk with my husband, we've officially decided to move to Las Vegas sometime after the first of next year. We need to seriously start saving up a good chunk of money in order to do this comfortably. We've decided our best bet would be to go down to one car. We have two options in order to do this. Option 1 would be trading in both our current cars (Josh's has no equity in it at the moment so we'd have to trade mine as well) on a 2003 Ford Expedition with 100,000 miles on it. This would mean no car payment but to be honest a really don't like the car. I'd only be driving it until next March or so when we would use our tax return to buy an Odyssey for me and then Josh would just keep the Ford. Option 2 would be trading in both cars on a 2009 Honda Odyssey with 60,000 miles on it. It would mean a car payment but still a lot less than what we're paying right now for both our cars and I'm getting something I actually want. We would be able to use our tax return next year to pay cash for something Josh can drive. Thoughts? Josh and I both prefer option two, but we know that will cut down on how much money we can save to move, on the other hand a more fuel efficient vehicle with less miles will cost less to run and maintain.

ADS

jgomez411

I would say option 2 :)
When I first read it, I thought you already owned the Expedition and I was going to say option 1, but after rereading, definitely 2. I have an Expedition that, while I like it, I hate hate hate putting gas in the tank because if just doesn't last. Honestly, I never should have bought it in the first place :/ but at this point, it's totally paid for (thankfully I didn't have to finance it) and I haven't come across THE car that I want cheap enough. I'm not familiar with Ody gas mileage but anything has to be better than the 15 mpg I get with my Expedition.

SavsMom

I'd say option 2 as well. Lower miles, better reliability, something you like. Yes, you'll have a payment but you will save in gas and maintenance.

katymyers

We bought a car! We took a third option and bought an older Honda Odyssey. It's a 2002 but the mileage isn't bad, 75,000. We just traded my car and walked away with $1,500. We'll keep Josh's car and just keep making his payment, which is low anyway. This way we still get to keep two cars, I get an Odyssey, and we have some money to jump start our savings for our move. I'm very happy.

Last edited:

2BunniesMommy

Another vote for option 2. We have a 1997 Expedition with around 100,000 miles and we HATE how fast it goes through a tank of gas and it is a huge tank. We are looking into something smaller to replace it with. I think the cost difference between what you will pay for gas will make up for having a car payment on an Ody along with the fact that a Honda with 60,000 miles is going to be better to you than a Ford with 100,000.

2BunniesMommy

We bought a car! We took a third option and bought an older Honda Odyssey. It's a 2002 but the mileage isn't bad, 75,000. We just traded my car and walked away $1,500. We'll keep Josh's car and just keep making his payment, which is low anyway. This way we still get to keep two cars, I get an Odyssey, and we have some money to jump start our savings for our move. I'm very happy.

Didn't see this when I posted yesterday. That is great!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC