Would you splurge for the load leg on an infant seat?

mom2ari

What do you think of the load leg on an infant seat? Is it worth the splurge for you? Why or why not?

ADS

Jocey'sMommy

yes. i like anything extra that will potentially absorb energy. that's why i buy seats with anti rebound technology as well. i wish we had a seat on the market here with both

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
In the article it says the seat with the load leg actually performed the best in the crash tests. I probably would get one if I was going to get another infant seat.

It's like a lot of safety features. From side impact cushions to anti-rebound bars/tethers to energy absorbers in the base. All likely make a difference. Some maybe more than others, but no data to say if they are actually effective at reducing serious injury or fatalities outside the crash test lab. Probably not a big difference once you have the basics of installing and using any rear-facing seat correctly. Rear-facing seats are so safe inherently, the other stuff is a bonus.

That said, I'd splurge for a load leg seat if cost was no object. The Britax BabySafe was WAY ahead of its time almost 10 years ago, but some of us knew even then that rigid LATCH and foot props were more than marketing;-) Even Consumer Reports didn't realize how innovative it was until a few years later, when they lamented why we didn't have seats like the BabySafe that they found in England. They didn't even know it had been sold in the USA and then discontinued! Now, they realize that some of these features might just have some benefit;-) At $300 back in 2005, it was a small fortune that too few people would justify to use for 12 months or so.

http://www.bargains-and-coupons.com/babysafe/index.html

Fortunately, the Nuna Pipa and Cybex Aton Q are both very good seats overall, in addition to having a load leg!

hope41more

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
If I could afford it, or find a reasonable way to afford it, yes, I would (and did) get a seat with a load leg. I think it's a great safety feature and I hope companies start putting them on convertibles here in the US.

That said, I'm totally okay with using an infant seat without a load leg.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC