Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Narrow Booster Seat for Captain Seat in Buick Enclave

My daughter is about to turn 7 and I just switched her Britax Frontier 85 from 5 point harness to booster. The seat belt stalk in our 2011 Buick Enclave 2nd row captain chair turns in too much to allow it be buckled! When it was in 5 point I attached using the seat belt but the belt came in at a lower point and I only had to buckle it once and done! In Booster mode the seat is simply too wide for either of us (my daughter or me) to get it buckled! I am attempting to find another seat that is just as safe but narrower. I'd like it to be a high back booster that she can click into herself! I like the idea of a seat with latch but I don't think its absolutely necessary. I looked into doing a seat belt extender such as the Booster Buckle but got nervous about its safety?? I'd appreciate any recommendations or help anyone can provide!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Narrow Booster Seat for Captain Seat in Buick Enclave

Some narrow boosters include the Graco Turbobooster, the Britax Parkway (that one has a 40 pound minimum), and the Clek Oobr, and I'm sure there are others. The Oobr has LATCH, the Parkway has an SGL model with LATCH, and I can't remember if the Turbobooster has LATCH options, but there are several Graco boosters that do that I believe are relatively narrow. I think the Harmony Dreamtime is another narrow booster; I don't know if it has LATCH. Hopefully someone will be along with a better response soon!

You're right to be nervous about a seatbelt extender; in general, I believe seatbelt extenders are meant to extend the buckle to fit around an adult who otherwise couldn't buckle the seatbelt and aren't for use with children in boosters. I'm not familiar with the Booster Buckle other than a quick glance at their website, and I'm be uncomfortable with that as well.
    DD (9 years old) & DS (6.5 years old)

Senior Community Member aeormsby's Avatar

The Frontier is about as wide as you can get so anything will fit better! We have a Saturn Outlook ( Enclave twin, I have the 2nd row bench, but I think the outboard seats are pretty much the same as the buckets) and I recently had our Frontier80 in there for one trip - I was amazed at how much harder it was to buckle than the (otherwise widest booster I've used) Recaro Performance Booster. The Recaro occasionally needs to be nudged to access the buckle better, but no where near as bad as the Frontier. We never had any space issues with the Parkway either.

Ironically, it was easier to buckle the Frontier (as a booster) in the 3rd row, driver's side than it was in the 2nd row

Another thing that helps is rotating the buckle forward so it's not pressed so tight against the booster.
    Ann

DD - 1/06 - 5-stepping
    DS - 12/07 - Incognito, Recaro Performance Booster & Harmony Literiders
    And a Bubble Bum for backup/travel

Carseat Crazy

We had an Outlook and I really liked the Monterey in our captain chair. It was easy to buckle and LATCHED.
    I: Monteray, 5.5 years)(N: RF Britax Blvd 70, 2 years 9 months)(K: RF Britax Blvd 70, 1 year)
    Follow our adventures in Thailand at
    http://ameri-thai.blogspot.com/

Carseat Crazy
    We have an 11 traverse, yet another enclave twin, and buckling the frontier 90 as a booster was impossible! Dd switched to our parkway sgl and I found I couldn't tighten the latch all the way or it too was pulled right up on the buckle. She's recently moved to the parkway backless and though it is latched it is not pulled very tight. I made the parental decision to use it this way knowing that the latch is only for the purpose of the seat not being a projectile if it is unoccupied.

Senior Community Member aeormsby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie010307 View Post
    We have an 11 traverse, yet another enclave twin, and buckling the frontier 90 as a booster was impossible! Dd switched to our parkway sgl and I found I couldn't tighten the latch all the way or it too was pulled right up on the buckle. She's recently moved to the parkway backless and though it is latched it is not pulled very tight. I made the parental decision to use it this way knowing that the latch is only for the purpose of the seat not being a projectile if it is unoccupied.
    I forgot about that - we never tightened the latch all the way on our Parkway either. I don't think it's an issue at all since the latch isn't required. And on the Performance booster it's not possible to tighten it.
    Ann

DD - 1/06 - 5-stepping
    DS - 12/07 - Incognito, Recaro Performance Booster & Harmony Literiders
    And a Bubble Bum for backup/travel

Carseat Crazy
    My friend uses a Graco Turbo Booster for his 6yo in that position and it seems to work well for them.
    Katy
    Full-time stepmom to DD1, 11, Incognito/5-stepping
    Mama to DD2, 5, True Fit, Complete Air, booster training
    DD3, 2.5, RA50, MyRide