third row in yukon

U

Unregistered

I have a 2000 gmc yukon that didnt come with a 3rd row. It also has the cargo door option, not the rear hatch. I suddenly find the need for more seats and was considering buying an aftermarket seat (littlepassengerseats.com) to create a third row. I have noticed that gm never offered a 3rd seat option with the cargo doors and was wondering if this was for safety reasons?? Should I be concerned about putting kids (6 and 2) back there in a seat that is slightly smaller than factory, has lap and shoulder belts and head restraints? Both kids would be in child seats appropriate for their size.

Thanks,
Ron

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
In general, I think factory 3rd row seats are acceptable for kids in properly used child restraints. On the other hand, I would not personally trust any aftermarket third row seat. While some testing is certainly done, they definitely have not had the same design, engineering and testing that would be done in a production vehicle by a major auto manufacturer.

This post from an automotive safety expert may also interest you:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/CPSPList/message/4709

"I don't think any vehicle manufacturer would recommend these, although we have probaly all been asked to do so. In addition to the technical issues of detailed NHTSA requirements, these vehicles have not undergone the typical vehicle manufacturer's testing with these added seats installed and occupied."

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC