Help with Options for Upcoming Trips

kalishea

Hi,
We have 2 upcoming trips that I would like some advice on car seat options for my son.
The first trip we will be traveling by air (1.5 hr flight) in October and then driving 30 minutes by highway (25 miles) to our destination and then returning back to the airport later in the week. I believe that is our only driving on that trip.
The second trip is in February and we will be traveling by air (5 hr flight), followed by a 30 min shuttle ride to the cruise port, then cruising for a week, then traveling by car on highway for 2 hours to our second destination after the cruise, then to the airport in that city for our flight home.

Stats:
My son turned 5 years old in June. He is currently 45lbs, 44" tall. We have him in a Nautilus, MyRide 65 and SureRide.

What are my options for car seats for the planes, cars, shuttles, etc.? If there is an option for something that would be easier to take, I am open to buying something new.

Thanks in advance!

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Is he mature enough to use a booster? If so, I would choose to take a backless given the minimal driving. Maybe have someone sit in back with him for the 2-hour trip if you think it might be a problem.

At that age and size I wouldn't worry about using a seat on the plane.

jjordan

Is he mature enough to use a booster? If so, I would choose to take a backless given the minimal driving. Maybe have someone sit in back with him for the 2-hour trip if you think it might be a problem.

At that age and size I wouldn't worry about using a seat on the plane.

This is exactly what I was thinking. He should be able to take a backless with him on the plane as his "personal item" (in addition to a backpack or other bag).

kalishea

Thanks for the replies. I am very slow at getting back to this. I am just planning now for the October trip. My son is still around 45 lbs and is 45.5" tall now. I am thinking we will take backless booster. Should I go buy one of those that are around $20.00 or should I buy something like a Highback Turbobooster and then use in our spare vehicle that now has a MyRide after?

I believe he can sit properly. We are going to be traveling with 4 adults to 1 child and two adults will always be in the back seat with him.

Thanks!

jjordan

Personally, I would buy a highback booster that you intend to become his primary seat at some point, and use it backless for the trip (being sure to buy one that allows backless use). Although, it would not be a bad move to buy an inexpensive backless and just have it around the house for a spare seat. This would probably be my choice if either you intend to use the Nautilus in booster mode when he's full-time boostered, or if the booser that you (or he) chooses as a favorite highback booster does not allow for backless mode.

Or, you know, you could always use the nautilus in backless booster mode, too. Then you don't have to buy anything right now. If you are okay with the size of the backless booster portion, then that is the easiest option for sure!

Keeanh

Personally I would get a Literider. They're just so much less bulky compared to a Nautilus or Turbo backless. Make sure you have the shoulder clip and know how to use it just in case you need it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC