Custom E350 and tethers?

knlrachel

I am looking at getting a used E350 15 passenger that has been converted to a shuttle style with high back seats for 12 and seat integrated seatbelts. The seats are really high. I am wondering about tethers. We have four Radians that really do better with that top tether and I am wondering if anyone knows if Ford will retrofit tethers? I really wanted an NV but we just can't swing the price. I am siked to have found one with a center aisle, but really want it to be as safe as a 15 passenger van can be... TIA

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
How about a used Sprinter van? It will be much easier to find one on the used market with stability control and side curtain airbags to mitigate the substantial rollover risk. Also, every seat will have a head restraint and lap+shoulder belts. They have been marketed under the Dodge, Freightliner and Mercedes Benz names for at least 10 years in the USA so there should be some older ones at lower prices too.

As for tether retrofits, parts are difficult to find if they exist at all anymore. You'd likely have to call dealer to dealer to find any.

knlrachel

I don't know that my Radians require tethers, though I prefer to use them. I have not been able to find any Sprinters that are in my price point and nearby. There really are limited options once you need seating for more than 8...

Pixels

The Radian does not require the tether in the US.

You're talking about a modified vehicle. Since the seats have been replaced, the intended factory tether anchors may not be in the proper location. The placement is very specific on where they have to be.

Keeanh

Ford won't retrofit a conversion. However a mechanic or body shop should be able to help you. The first thing I would do is check to see if the captain's chairs have built-in anchors. They might not look like typical tether anchors. This is the one on my front passenger seat:

IMG_5965.JPG

If you did get the van, you could go to the scrap yard and get one of these off a 2000 or later GMC Safari / Chevy Astro. Then see if it would be possible for it to be welded or bolted to the legs of your captain's chairs. I wouldn't let the lack of tether anchors in a converted vehicle be a deal-breaker. It's already been modified this far. Putting in a few anchors really isn't a big deal.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC