Sienna or Pilot

blue888

We are looking at a Sienna. We need the AWD. What year is my best bet to look at for the most options for seating, carseats and in general? Ideally the most latch and tethers.

I have 3 kids, 5 (36lbs), 3(33lbs) and 1(18lbs). We are planning one more child. Ideally I`d like the most seating options. Thanks

I know the redesign was in 2011. So what year prior to that is my best bet?

Editing to add: Now debating between the Pilot and the Sienna. Anyone care to weigh in on the pros and cons of each.

Last edited:
ADS

DawgDad

Re: What year of Sienna?

IIRC the AWD version doesn't allow you to have that coveted 8th seat, but the last "good" year of the Sienna was the 2010 model. The 2015 model did make some top tether additions and they should hit showroom floors this fall. That would bring it back up to the 2010 model year standard with 5 usable FF carseat seats instead of 3.

blue888

Re: What year of Sienna?

Yes, I wish we didn`t need AWD, but we live in rural Canada and get a lot of snow. Often the snow isn`t cleared quickly.

I`m really debating between the Sienna and the Pilot now. We need the AWD for sure. Just not sure which is more car seat friendly. The benefit of the pilot is that it is much higher off the ground for better clearance but the Sienna has more space. Hmmmmm

sunnydayz

The Pilot is a dream for 3 across in the second row. The downside being the 3rd row has less leg room than the Sienna. This will come into play as your children get older and need more room. The downside to the Sienna is that you wouldn't have the option of 3 across in the 2nd row.

I would check out the Toyota Sequoia as well. It has a full size 3rd row.

SavsMom

In your situation I'd lean more towards the Pilot. As was pointed out the AWD Sienna eliminates the 8th seat and quite honestly Toyota didn't make that many of them.
In addition, if snow is an issue you will have better ground clearance on the Pilot.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC