Question Cadillac (or Bentley) of combination seats?

hope41more

I Will be in the market for two new combination seats soon. The plan is that my squish will move out of her Pipa and into the foonfs we have my DS riding in right now. DS will be *hopefully* 5 at the time, so I'd like to keep him harnessed and then boostered when he is ready. He has ran 80%ile height and 90%ile weight since birth. While money is no option, I can't justify buying 2 more foonfs for squish when DS will be 5 already and probably doesn't need the REACT system anymore (do you think he does? If he will benefit from it, I'll get 'em!)

I'm looking for:
-fantastic SIP (he is sitting outboard)
-smooth harness adjusting with a non-continuing harness (HATE the maestro in grandmas car)
-bonus for cup holders :) but not necessary
-rigid latch also a bonus but not necessary
-I would also take a dedicated high w/h limit harnessed seat and buy a booster later.

I keep hearing about the frontier, but wasn't sure if it was popular for price, height/weight limits, or marketed safety features.

Currently, we have a Nuna Pipa with 2 bases, Foonfs in my and DH's car, and a maestro in Grandmas car (originally purchased for a plane trip we never got to take). Squish is new, DS is 4. It took me 10 months to pick a bucket seat, so I need the time for this next one :)

Thanks!

ADS

MommaMia

The Frontier 90 is awesome. Definitely fits your requirements, though if money not a consideration, look at the Pinnacle 90 for even more SIP. We own 4 Frontier 90s. Once I bought 1, nothing else compared (except the Pinnacle, but it was too wide to allow someone to sit between in a 3 across situation). I've heard the Frontier may or may not make a good HBB (it's a 'check fit' from IIHS). However, we decided it was the perfect FFing only seat for us, and we will buy another HBB if necessary. DD is 4.5, and only running in the 50%. She has tons of growing room.

MommaMia

Adding... If 80/90% weight, you're going to need to do a seatbelt install anyway. The Frontier/Pinnacle click tight is a breeze. I even taught the grandparents how to install ;)

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
What is DS' current torso height?

I think the vast majority of posters are going to point you towards the Frontier90. It's a premium seat, and for tall guys, it's the go-to option. Install is a breeze due to ClickTight.

Depending on how much of his height he carries in his torso, you also might also consider a Performance Sport. It doesn't really have cup holders (mesh pockets are a joke,) and its install is a bit quirky, but once it's in I adore it for day-to-day use. I haven't used the F90 extensively, but I find the harness on the ProSport (older version of Performance Sport) super easy to use (moreso than the F90) and well-fitting on the kiddos I've used it on. I've put skinny minnies and more solid kids in it, all in the 4y to young 6 age range - and they've all told me it's comfy. It's shorter than the Frontier though - harness height is about the same as the Maestro you have. I also like the shape of it in terms of sidewalls/SIP etc.

I am not an expert on the Foonf, but my understanding is that if you use rigid LATCH + seatbelt (a matter on which I am still personally iffy on) you still get the benefit of the REACT system. So purchasing two more COULD provide benefit, but then, with a tall child he may outgrow the harness sooner than you would like.

hope41more

What is DS' current torso height? I think the vast majority of posters are going to point you towards the Frontier90. It's a premium seat, and for tall guys, it's the go-to option. Install is a breeze due to ClickTight. Depending on how much of his height he carries in his torso, you also might also consider a Performance Sport. It doesn't really have cup holders (mesh pockets are a joke,) and its install is a bit quirky, but once it's in I adore it for day-to-day use. I haven't used the F90 extensively, but I find the harness on the ProSport (older version of Performance Sport) super easy to use (moreso than the F90) and well-fitting on the kiddos I've used it on. I've put skinny minnies and more solid kids in it, all in the 4y to young 6 age range - and they've all told me it's comfy. It's shorter than the Frontier though - harness height is about the same as the Maestro you have. I also like the shape of it in terms of sidewalls/SIP etc. I am not an expert on the Foonf, but my understanding is that if you use rigid LATCH + seatbelt (a matter on which I am still personally iffy on) you still get the benefit of the REACT system. So purchasing two more COULD provide benefit, but then, with a tall child he may outgrow the harness sooner than you would like.

I measured in a hurry, so everything is +\- a half inch. Total height is 42.5. Seated height to shoulders is 14.5, seated height to top of head is 23.5.

I'm glad you wrote that about the foonf, because I just moved him to the last harness slots. So he still has 1 1/2 - 2 inches of torso height, but probably not enough for me to run out and buy two more.

I will take a look at the performance sport and both frontier and pinnacle. Sounds promising!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC