Cool thing I saw yesterday

chickenman

I checked the installation of a car seat in a mercades amg sedan e55 i think it was, and i was confused at first because i saw a racing harness by a schroth dot approved 4 pt harness in the back seat. They had removed the factory tether location and installed the bigger nut and washer, and next to that was a rear facing marathon and on the driver outboard was a safeguard go. I thought it was so nice to see someone finally concerned about safety. Granted the mercades had more airbags then cupholders and im sure a lot of other stuff. I thought about riding in one of those 4 pt harnesses but never thought of the rear passangers. How would this compared to he 86 y harness? Also would a sedan be easier to install the bigger nut and washer? What age would you start using this 8?

Last edited:
ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
You didn't get pictures?? Oh right - not everyone is obsessed with pictures as I am! ;)

So, was it like this one?

I think it would actually work better than the 86Y when using the 86Y without the booster. When the child needs a booster, though... I'm not sure. I'd have to see one in order to compare the two.

And yes, from what my friend said when she installed the heavy-weight anchors for her 86Y's, it's MUCH easier in a sedan.

melniemi

I don't have tether anchors in the back seat of my van (ok, there is one in the center attached to the seat frame, an upside down u-shaped thing welded to the frame, but I need 2 outboard). Could I install these harnesses or have a mechanic do it somehow? It is cheaper or the same as a regent but would last forever, right? Do they just drill thru the vehicle floor somehow to install the anchor? I called ez-on about their 86Y, explaining my situation and they said I'd have to bring it to a dealer or mechanic to have them see what to do. Anyone know anything about either of these? Thanks:p

flipper68

Senior Community Member
I don't have tether anchors in the back seat of my van (ok, there is one in the center attached to the seat frame, an upside down u-shaped thing welded to the frame, but I need 2 outboard). Do they just drill thru the vehicle floor somehow to install the anchor? I called ez-on about their 86Y, explaining my situation and they said I'd have to bring it to a dealer or mechanic to have them see what to do. Anyone know anything about either of these? Thanks:p

I think you're blending two different questions:

1a) Could I install these harnesses or have a mechanic do it somehow?

To USE the 86Y, you need tether anchors and after a certain weight, you need heavy duty tether anchors. (I don't know how the Heavy Duty anchors work when you have the "U" anchors on the seat back. Heavy Duty anchors can be swapped with ones where you can see the anchor bolt.)

You'll need to check your vehicle manual and/or have someone check a LATCH manual. There could be "dimples" in the vehicle that are tether ready.

If you post the vehicle make/model/year, someone here will gladly look up the info in a LATCH manual.

1b) Do they just drill thru the vehicle floor somehow to install the anchor? Pretty much.
Assuming there are tether anchor locations "predrilled" in your van and you have the tools/are handy, you probably could install the tether anchor yourself.

If you don't have the predrilled anchor places I'd want E-Z ON to take a closer look.

2) It is cheaper or the same as a regent but would last forever, right?

The 86Y harness attaches to the tether anchors. I don't think the 86Y is necessarily safer than a Regent. (Many here would argue that 5pt is always safer.)

It's original or primary intent was to provide HWH in vehicles that did not have lap/shoulder belts (couldn't use a booster).

That said, it can be used past 80 lbs. If you have heavy duty tether anchor and the matching booster, you'd be able to safely transport just about any child over 4 & 40lbs. w/o having to constantly rethread harness straps. Because of this flexibility, the harness makes sense for school districts and daycares where there multiple children are transported.

The tether ANCHOR is good forever (unless you crash), but I think "E-Z On" harnesses only have a 5 year life. I think it is cheaper than the Regent but I don't know by how much.

melniemi

Thanks for your answers. I was wondering if the schroth 4 pt harness would last forever. Actually all of my questions were regarding this system:whistle: But apparently I don't word my questions very well! I had looked into the 86Y but didn't come up with a solution. EZ ON people told me to purchase it and bring it to a dealer to look into it???? So I let it go. But this other harness...since it replaces a seatbelt, does it last forever? Do I need tether anchors for that one?? I drive a 2002 Chevy Venture w/the full backseat (has 1 center ta), not the split one that has 2 tether anchors, unfortunately. I looked into replacing my van seat (Chevy verified that they are interchangeable) but that on top of the cost of 2 regents was just too much.
Thanks!

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Awesome response! Lemme see if I can fill in some gaps, too.

(I don't know how the Heavy Duty anchors work when you have the "U" anchors on the seat back.

They don't work - you have to install the heavy-duty anchors somewhere else; you can't replace the anchors on the seatback with the heavy-duty anchors.

I don't think the 86Y is necessarily safer than a Regent. (Many here would argue that 5pt is always safer.)

I agree; having used both, the Regent is generally the preferable option, and the 86Y a great alternative when a HWH seat isn't an option.

If you have heavy duty tether anchor and the matching booster,

Actually, the KidY harness required the matching booster; the 86Y may be used with any booster.

but I think "E-Z On" harnesses only have a 5 year life.

Yep, that's correct. I have no idea WHY they have a 5 year expiration, as they are pretty much nothing but seat belt webbing and metal hardware, but that's the company's expiration policy.

I think it is cheaper than the Regent but I don't know by how much.

Even factoring in the cost of the booster seat, the 86Y is considerably cheaper than a Regent. I paid $52 for mine, plus shipping. If you get a backless TurboBooster to use with it, you could spend less than $80 total.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC