Why a Foonf over a Fllo

Hazelandlucy

I have a Foonf and it's great, except so heavy for me when I need to take it out of the car. I love the narrow width, but would never fly with it because it's just so tall and heavy. My daughter is 30 lbs so I am using the seat belt instead of latch. I am not sure if I will flip it when she is 4 or hand it down to DD2 to keep RF in. Eventually somebody will FF in it though.

I need some new carseats as we need one in each car. I was thinking the Fllo might be perfect? It's lighter so doable to fly with, still lots of height for RF, and just as narrow. I like that it sits down lower.

Is the crumple technology with latch or seat belt just as good as the rigid latch?
Is there anything else I am missing that the Fllo doesn't do that the Foonf does?

Basically i can't figure out why someone would want a Foonf over a Fllo - wouldn't everyone want a lighter, lower seat (while still high enough to see out windows) that is just as good for ERF?

ADS

hope41more

It's my understanding that the REACT system in the FOONF has a slight edge over the EACT system of the Fllo. Additionally, you will lose the safety features of the rigid latch by going to the Fllo, which is needed for the REACT system to work properly anyway.

The way it was explained to me, the Foonf is for people who will continue to use latch through the life of its use, and the Fllo is for those who prefer or need the seatbelt installation.

Hazelandlucy

It's my understanding that the REACT system in the FOONF has a slight edge over the EACT system of the Fllo. Additionally, you will lose the safety features of the rigid latch by going to the Fllo, which is needed for the REACT system to work properly anyway. The way it was explained to me, the Foonf is for people who will continue to use latch through the life of its use, and the Fllo is for those who prefer or need the seatbelt installation.

Thank you. Is the latch benefits just for forward facing when REACT is used? I would love to be using latch now RF, but can't because of the weight limits. I don't understand why the lighter seat is the one that doesn't have the same latch benefits (but maybe RF it doesn't matter.)

Mary_Ann

I also have a Foonf and I really love it, so do my daughters. If I had to choose between both, I would pick the Fllo. Its cheaper, lighter, sits lower when RF and offers an energy management technology. The last is what bugs me with my Foonf. If I want to do a 3 across in my car with a FF Foonf, I have to install it with the seatbelt, losing most of the REACT.

I really like the Foonf FF and my almost 6yo dd says it's her favorite seat. It's comfy and offers a deep seat pan, perfect for leggy kids.

Hazelandlucy

I also have a Foonf and I really love it, so do my daughters. If I had to choose between both, I would pick the Fllo. Its cheaper, lighter, sits lower when RF and offers an energy management technology. The last is what bugs me with my Foonf. If I want to do a 3 across in my car with a FF Foonf, I have to install it with the seatbelt, losing most of the REACT.

I really like the Foonf FF and my almost 6yo dd says it's her favorite seat. It's comfy and offers a deep seat pan, perfect for leggy kids.

I love mine too, but the Fllo seems to fix everything I don't like. Does the REACT not work as well when combined with the seatbelt FF?

Mary_Ann

No, it works the same.

I have to put the Foonf closer to the door if I want a 3 across, making the rigid latch unusable since they don't line up anymore.

I need the funds and a reason to buy a Fllo :)

kaharris83

I've been debating this as well. For me it came down to price. I picked up a Foonf for less than the Fllo. While the weight and low profile were attractive features. I am really no more likely to travel with a 20+lb seat than a 30+lb seat. Lighter is better for travel. My oldest will probably soon be FF and in FF the Foonf and Fllo appear to be the same height. I've had the Foonf RFing behind my seat for over a year. I like the rigid LATCH and REACT technology. So Foonf it was for us. But truly it was a price based decision as I think they are both great options. The things I don't like about my Foonf will be the same on the Fllo, those nooks and crannies under the seat pad where all sorts of things collect.

Last edited:

hope41more

Thank you. Is the latch benefits just for forward facing when REACT is used? I would love to be using latch now RF, but can't because of the weight limits. I don't understand why the lighter seat is the one that doesn't have the same latch benefits (but maybe RF it doesn't matter.)

REACT is just for FF, so you are perfectly fine RF with a seatbelt. We drive a ford, which allows latch AND seatbelt if the seat allows it, which Foonf does ONLY when using the rigid FF latch, so even though DS is 43 pounds, he is FF using rigid latch and a seatbelt, which still keeps his REACT system intact. For me, the rigid latch alone is what sold it- have you taken a look at a rigid latch car seats on the side impact crash test? That thing is SOLID and doesn't move, while it's counterpart car seats fly all over the place. Scientifically, there's no data to say it's safer, but my mama instincts say otherwise. We just bought a rigid latch infant seat for our September squish based on this alone. To me, rigid latch = thumbs up.

Hazelandlucy

So I just looked up the crash scores of both (am I a nerd or what?!)
Fllo :http://clekinc.com/support/documents/clekus000067/

Foonf: http://www.clekinc.com/support/documents/clekus000049/

For the most part Foonf does better from what I can understand, most notably in the FF 3 yr old chest acceleration and 1 yr old/6 yr old FF head injury (for some reason the numbers are almost identical when 3 yrs old in the head injury department)

Wish I could see results of all carseats in a standard test!

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC