Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!


 

Sponsored Ads

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 87
  1. #21
    CPSDarren - Admin SafeDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    11,985

    Re: Subaru...who knew?!

    Quote Originally Posted by nataliem257 View Post
    Interesting. I knocked out the outback because of price, didn't look at the Forester. How's the backseat? It's slightly more expensive than the Legacy, with slightly less fuel economy, is there a benefit I'm unaware of?
    Slightly better crash test scores, maybe a little better visibility for the driver. Some people prefer the SUV look over a sedan. Backseat likely a hair narrower, but I can't say about carseats. A lot has to do with the seat cushions, seat backs and layout of seatbelts and LATCH of course.

  2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads
    Join Date
    April, 2001
    Location
    Car-Seat.Org
    Posts
    Many
     
     

  3. #22
    CPS Fanatic
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,573

    Re: Subaru...who knew?!

    Quote Originally Posted by CPSDarren View Post
    If a compact SUV is in the running, I bet you can get a great deal on a 2014 Forester with Eyesight. This is a top contender if I consider a vehicle for my kids to drive in a year or two.
    Can you find 2014 Foresters anymore? When I shopped months ago, the dealers around us only had a few left. But it never hurts to ask.

    Quote Originally Posted by CPSDarren View Post
    Slightly better crash test scores, maybe a little better visibility for the driver. Some people prefer the SUV look over a sedan. Backseat likely a hair narrower, but I can't say about carseats. A lot has to do with the seat cushions, seat backs and layout of seatbelts and LATCH of course.
    Yeah, I could never give up the flexibility and storage and visibility of an SUV, but that's me.

  4. #23
    Carseat Crazy nataliem257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    476
    Quote Originally Posted by CPSDarren View Post

    Slightly better crash test scores, maybe a little better visibility for the driver. Some people prefer the SUV look over a sedan. Backseat likely a hair narrower, but I can't say about carseats. A lot has to do with the seat cushions, seat backs and layout of seatbelts and LATCH of course.
    I'm looking at it online, I like the look. I think I'll test drive one after work. My list is getting bigger not smaller! Ha

  5. #24
    Carseat Crazy nataliem257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    476
    Quote Originally Posted by Athena View Post

    Can you find 2014 Foresters anymore? When I shopped months ago, the dealers around us only had a few left. But it never hurts to ask.
    Have you done a 3 across that involved a booster? As long as it's possible with some combo of seats I'm good (only 2 kids, occasional friend possible)

  6. #25
    Carseat Crazy DawgDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    307

    Re: Subaru...who knew?!

    Quote Originally Posted by nataliem257 View Post
    Interesting. I knocked out the outback because of price, didn't look at the Forester. How's the backseat? It's slightly more expensive than the Legacy, with slightly less fuel economy, is there a benefit I'm unaware of?
    It has more cargo room, same gas mileage as the Legacy, & a tow/snow/haul mode. Surprisingly the Legacy has a larger gas tank and is actually a heavier and longer car than the Forester.

    Are you looking at the Limited or Premium trim and is it the 2.5?

  7. #26
    Carseat Crazy nataliem257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    476
    Quote Originally Posted by DawgDad View Post

    It has more cargo room, same gas mileage as the Legacy, & a tow/snow/haul mode. Surprisingly the Legacy has a larger gas tank and is actually a heavier and longer car than the Forester.

    Are you looking at the Limited or Premium trim and is it the 2.5?
    2.5, limited trim (I think, is that the 2nd one? The one without the leather). Gas mileage looks a little lower according to website specs?

    Edit, the trim is premium, with the additional eyesight package added on.
    Last edited by nataliem257; 08-01-2014 at 03:08 PM.

  8. #27
    CPS Fanatic
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,573

    Re: Subaru...who knew?!

    Quote Originally Posted by nataliem257 View Post
    Have you done a 3 across that involved a booster? As long as it's possible with some combo of seats I'm good (only 2 kids, occasional friend possible)
    We haven't actually done 3 across yet, just played a bit with options. I would think it would be easier with a RFing kid to puzzle and it would be easier with 3 LBBs, but I have 2 FFing big kids in big HBBs and any friend would probably be in a booster too. If there's something I can try for you, let me know. I need to play more with it anyway.

  9. #28
    CPS Technician Aurezalia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,056

    Re: Subaru...who knew?!

    I'm actually a HUGE fan of Subarus. I think I'm probably going to replace my Mazda5 with a Subaru XV Crosstrek hybrid a little down the line. I wouldn't do a sedan myself, but sedan OR wagon, they have several great offerings.

  10. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    26

    Re: Subaru...who knew?!

    I have 2014 outback and have a Parkway and a frontier always installed. I use a bubble bum in the middle for carpooling about once a week without a problem. I don't know how the forester compares to the outback back seat.

  11. #30
    Carseat Crazy nataliem257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    476
    So my final short list is the Forester and the Legacy. I'm not sure why the Forester didn't occur to me before (thanks Darren). It's a couple of thousand more, but coming from the Mazda 5 it would be an easier transition as far as flexibility I think. I'm taking all my seats (TB SS, Frontier 85, Frontier 90, Blvd, RXT) to test drive them tomorrow and make a final decision. Stay tuned

  12. #31
    CPS Technician
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    NW WA
    Posts
    795
    The 2015 Legacy is currently top of our list of potentials when we upgrade hubby's 2003 VW Jetta TDI. We may not upgrade for a couple years but if we were to get something in the next 6 months the Legacy would be it.

    I love that you can get the Eyesight in lower trim levels.

    36mpg highway in a regular unleaded awd car is is super impressive.

    The back seat is super flat without dips or humps like the older Subarus.

    Our other top contenders are the upcoming VW Golf Sportwagen TDI (replacing the current Jetta Sportwagen) or the Passat TDI. We always thought we'd upgrade to another VW TDI but we've been swayed by the Legacy.
    DS1 (April '09) Britax Parkway SGL & Clek Olli, DD (March '12) Britax Frontier 90 & Evenflo Maestro, DS2 (April '15) RF Nuna Rava & RF Clek Foonf
    2011 Honda Pilot
    2009 Honda Ridgeline

  13. #32
    Carseat Crazy nataliem257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    476
    Quote Originally Posted by aporthole View Post
    The 2015 Legacy is currently top of our list of potentials when we upgrade hubby's 2003 VW Jetta TDI. We may not upgrade for a couple years but if we were to get something in the next 6 months the Legacy would be it.

    I love that you can get the Eyesight in lower trim levels.

    36mpg highway in a regular unleaded awd car is is super impressive.

    The back seat is super flat without dips or humps like the older Subarus.

    Our other top contenders are the upcoming VW Golf Sportwagen TDI (replacing the current Jetta Sportwagen) or the Passat TDI. We always thought we'd upgrade to another VW TDI but we've been swayed by the Legacy.
    My mother's boyfriend drives a Jetta Diesel and it was on my list in the beginning, but she discouraged it due to very uncomfortable seats and a rough ride. Her exact words were "rides like a log wagon", so I crossed it off. No personal experience though.

  14. #33
    Carseat Crazy DawgDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    307

    Re: Subaru...who knew?!

    Quote Originally Posted by nataliem257 View Post
    My mother's boyfriend drives a Jetta Diesel and it was on my list in the beginning, but she discouraged it due to very uncomfortable seats and a rough ride. Her exact words were "rides like a log wagon", so I crossed it off. No personal experience though.
    Only in Arkansas...

    Because the Forester is NOT a new generation model year, I would gravitate to that one a little more. While I like the styling of the Legacy more with it's refresh...I like that it's later in it's generation series AND it has more cargo room. I did a little digging to see what would be a "good price" and based on a 2.5i Premium with the All-Weather Package + Eyesight, All Weather Floor mats & Cargo tray, Auto-dimming mirror w/ exterior approach light, and the rear bumper cover (MSRP $27,981), you shouldn't pay above $25,800. There is a dealer holdback beyond the invoice price...and this gets you to right around invoice on this vehicle. It's amazing the number of adds you can put on Subarus...seriously.

    Those "add-ons" are my bare minimum adds of sanity for this vehicle (I would need leather, but that's not on this trim ). Auto-dimming rear-view mirror...if you have never had one before, you seriously are missing out on this safety feature in addition it comes with Homelink so no more separate garage door opener! Also, the approach lights for the exterior for a splash of light in front of the doors that come off the bottom of the mirrors at night. All-weather mats to protect the car & keep it easier to clean. We usually just get the dealership to throw those in. And the rear bumper cover since you will drag a lot of cargo across the top of it when you pull things out of the back...it keeps you from scratching your bumper and looks better. I think the total with those add-ons were like $600 or something (most in the mirror & approach light package).

  15. Thank You from:


  16. #34
    Carseat Crazy
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    117

    Re: Subaru...who knew?!

    Helpful thread We are getting a new car to replace a very old, soon to need expensive repairs saturn. I hadn't seriously considered Subaru but have been researching over the past few days. The safety ratings on the Forester have blown me away. The other one we are considering is the CRV, but I really think we will end up in a subaru.

    We have 3 boys, ages 13,11, and 9, so only one in a booster. Given his size I don't even think he will be in that much longer. Hoping it is big enough for 3 growing boys.

    I am actually hoping the new car becomes our primary vehicle. We also have a Sienna with 106,000 that I love, but it would be nice to have a smaller car for day to day driving!

  17. #35
    Carseat Crazy kaharris83's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    547

    Re: Subaru...who knew?!

    My mom swears by her Subarus. I think they have a 2009 Outback and a 2013 Legacy. She only drives manuals so her list of options isn't long. They were Honda people but once they bought a Subaru they never went back. We however had an awful time installing our Easy Fit 65 and CCO in my mom's Legacy. It was awful.
    Riding in a 2014 Honda Odyssey
    DS1 July 2010 40 pounds 43" FF in a Congo Frontier 90
    and DS2 Nov 2012 27 pounds 36" ERF in a Faux Hawk Foonf

  18. #36
    CPS Fanatic
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,573

    Re: Subaru...who knew?!

    Quote Originally Posted by DawgDad View Post
    (MSRP $27,981), you shouldn't pay above $25,800.
    But for those of you who aren't looking to spend mid-upper 20s, you can get a really nice 2015 Forester with many nice features for thousands less. Personally, I'd skip some of those luxury items and get the fog lights instead.

    Quote Originally Posted by nataliem257 View Post
    but she discouraged it due to very uncomfortable seats and a rough ride. Her exact words were "rides like a log wagon", so I crossed it off.
    FYI: Our new Forester handles so much better than our old one and the seats are more comfortable too. Although I don't find the backseats that great, but I don't remember ever sitting in a backseat I found comfortable.

    Quote Originally Posted by kaharris83 View Post
    We however had an awful time installing our Easy Fit 65 and CCO in my mom's Legacy. It was awful.
    As far as the Forester, we're down to FRs and boosters, so I can't speak to how well other seats work in it.

  19. Thank You from:


  20. #37
    Carseat Crazy nataliem257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    476
    Quote Originally Posted by DawgDad View Post

    Only in Arkansas...

    Because the Forester is NOT a new generation model year, I would gravitate to that one a little more. While I like the styling of the Legacy more with it's refresh...I like that it's later in it's generation series AND it has more cargo room. I did a little digging to see what would be a "good price" and based on a 2.5i Premium with the All-Weather Package + Eyesight, All Weather Floor mats & Cargo tray, Auto-dimming mirror w/ exterior approach light, and the rear bumper cover (MSRP $27,981), you shouldn't pay above $25,800. There is a dealer holdback beyond the invoice price...and this gets you to right around invoice on this vehicle. It's amazing the number of adds you can put on Subarus...seriously.

    Those "add-ons" are my bare minimum adds of sanity for this vehicle (I would need leather, but that's not on this trim ). Auto-dimming rear-view mirror...if you have never had one before, you seriously are missing out on this safety feature in addition it comes with Homelink so no more separate garage door opener! Also, the approach lights for the exterior for a splash of light in front of the doors that come off the bottom of the mirrors at night. All-weather mats to protect the car & keep it easier to clean. We usually just get the dealership to throw those in. And the rear bumper cover since you will drag a lot of cargo across the top of it when you pull things out of the back...it keeps you from scratching your bumper and looks better. I think the total with those add-ons were like $600 or something (most in the mirror & approach light package).

    Those are the add ons I picked as well, minus the bumper cover but I've never had a car I could pull cargo with so I'll definitely get it. I also was thinking of getting remote start, never had that before either but when it's 108 degrees outside and you wanna cool the car off ahead of time I bet that is nice! Thank you so much for the dealer hold back figure, how bada$$ am I gonna look when I'm like "this is what I want, this is what I know you can give it to me for, make it happen or I'm walkin......deuces"


    Only in Arkansas?!? Like Georgia is any better! HA

  21. #38
    CPS Fanatic
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,573

    Re: Subaru...who knew?!

    Quote Originally Posted by nataliem257 View Post
    I also was thinking of getting remote start
    As long as you know you can't use it if you have a garage. That might sound silly to say, but I've encountered people who don't know they shouldn't run their car inside their garage (but it keeps it comfy for the kids to sleep in the car ) and my dad was telling me just the other day about someone dying from their car running in the garage while they were in the house. We have an attached garage and no reason for a starter, but without a garage, most climates can be harsh. 108 plus humidity?! I don't think I'd survive!

    Totally play hard ball with them! I did and we paid well below invoice. Good luck!!

  22. #39
    Carseat Crazy DawgDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    307

    Re: Subaru...who knew?!

    Quote Originally Posted by Athena View Post
    But for those of you who aren't looking to spend mid-upper 20s, you can get a really nice 2015 Forester with many nice features for thousands less. Personally, I'd skip some of those luxury items and get the fog lights instead.
    She wants the Eyesight, and the lowest trim it comes on is the Premium.

    Quote Originally Posted by nataliem257 View Post
    Those are the add ons I picked as well, minus the bumper cover but I've never had a car I could pull cargo with so I'll definitely get it. I also was thinking of getting remote start, never had that before either but when it's 108 degrees outside and you wanna cool the car off ahead of time I bet that is nice! Thank you so much for the dealer hold back figure, how bada$$ am I gonna look when I'm like "this is what I want, this is what I know you can give it to me for, make it happen or I'm walkin......deuces"

    Only in Arkansas?!? Like Georgia is any better! HA
    The only thing you are working against is that there are only 2 or 3 dealerships in the entire state. Plug in what you like about your car in truecar.com, and they will tell you what others in your area paid for that same car.

    I like remote starts and it's a dealer add (probably $399). It's a great feature for hot AND cold days...especially when you are at a restaurant, you know your car is boiling hot...just turn it on while you are paying the bill and by the time you get out there in a minute or two, it's cooled off. Since this and some other adds will be from the parts department at the dealership, you may not want to necessarily "finance" the cost if you can avoid it (floor mats, if they don't throw them in, and bumper cover are dealer adds). You can get a separate parts request outside the deal and they will just ring you up separately. The mirrors may be a dealer add, but they are becoming so common in cars these days, they probably will come from the factory to you.

    Oh and the Arkansas comment was more targeted at the big logging business you guys have in that state. I live in Atlanta...it's more like Chicago than it is Georgia.

  23. #40
    CPS Fanatic
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,573

    Re: Subaru...who knew?!

    Quote Originally Posted by DawgDad View Post
    She wants the Eyesight, and the lowest trim it comes on is the Premium.
    You listed a lot of extras you considered must haves, so I was just adding/clarifying that without all those extras, it's still a great car with many nice features and very affordable (at least ours was, but we also have several dealerships to potentially negotiate).

    It wasn't long ago that ordering was the only option around here and I remember the cost was a lot less to add on factory options, so if they don't have the car you want and you're adding a lot, it might be worth the wait to order what you really want at a more affordable price.

    Quote Originally Posted by DawgDad View Post
    you may not want to necessarily "finance" the cost if you can avoid it (floor mats, if they don't throw them in, and bumper cover are dealer adds). You can get a separate parts request outside the deal and they will just ring you up separately.
    Or just add the same amount to your down payment.
    Last edited by Athena; 08-02-2014 at 07:49 AM.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •