Recaro Performance Booster 3rd row Odyssey?

IandA'smom

Has anyone used a new Performance booster in the third row of a new generation Honda Odyssey? I am looking to purchase one for my oldest child. She just turned 7 and is 4ft 2 in. tall and 60 lbs. She is currently in a Frontier in my car, a 2012 Honda Odyssey and a Britax Parkway Sgl in her father's 2009 Honda Civic. My concern is that the booster will be too wide for her to buckle easily in the third row and that the latch straps do not tighten so it may move around. Another option is to buy her a backless booster for her father's car and move her Parkway to my car permanently. Anyone use a Performance booster regularly in the third row?

ADS

YinzerMama

It works back there.

I snagged 3 in the black friday sales last fall planning to put 2 back there and 1 in my husband's car. I frankly don't care for the seat. It is just too freaking wide and I don't like that it doesn't go backless.

My kids did have a little trouble buckling it but they were used to the graco in DH's car which is a smidge narrower, I think it is something they would have adjusted to.

Two of them in the 3rd row of the ody nearly touch each other. I don't know if you need to put anyone else back there. That seat is so narrow (the ody bench) that 3 across is difficult anyway but one of these in the mix would make it impossible. But if there are no other concerns, just looking at this seat + the ody bench, it worked fine as far as I remember. We have leather and the movement wasn't as big a deal as I thought it would be - but I still wish that had made the straps tightenable.

Another thing I didn't like about it is that while in theory not going backless doesn't matter, since it goes so tall - I felt like it was kind of squished in terms of shoulder room - so a taller/bigger kid would fit by height buy might not be comfortable. It's hard for me to say for sure since I have 6yo twins and my next in size test dummy is 10yo. (and by test dummy I mean my son, I don't actually have a crash test dummy here lol - I just use as many kids as I can to try out seats to get an idea of longevity)

At your daughter's age/size I think the backless for husband's car and parkway for yours is a good idea.

IandA'smom

Thank you for your reply. I am thinking I may just go with a backless for my husband's car and the Parkway for mine. I just need to get over my anxiety about using a backless. The Parkway just does not look very comfy and we do a 6 hr. (each way) car ride once a month to visit family. I also always wanted to try out a Recaro seat and this may be my only chance! I am just too worried that she will have trouble buckling it. I use the car line to pick her up and those teachers want you to move quick! Thanks again for your help.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I know they aren't quite the same vehicle, but I have a 2005 Odyssey and my 8YO (same size as OP's child) has her Performance Booster back there regularly. She's never had a problem buckling it, it doesn't slide on the leather seats, etc. In fact, we just drove back from Mammoth Cave National Park (240 miles) with her in the third row in the Performance Booster and she was quite happy and comfortable back there.

Oh, we have her outboard on the driver's side right now but she's been on the passenger side too.

IandA'smom

Thank you. I am still undecided. The Recaro looks so comfortable. Yesterday I was going to order a backless booster, today I am going to order the Recaro, tomorrow I may change my mind. This should not be so difficult! Thanks again!

IandA'smom

Thank you! I think I am going to order. I have two younger children that this booster can be passed down to. I think I will feel better that she is in a high back booster. Thanks again.

bnsnyde

I posted about how much I love the Performance Booster. It truly is awesome! :)
I bought it for my 8-year-old son.

Right now we have it in the Civic and it's great!
We also have the 2011 Odyssey and I plan to put it in the second row next year. Right now he's still in the Frontier in that van.
I like having a harnessed seat in that row too for the younger kids especially.

The Performance Booster amazed me. Even the sides are cushy so whoever sits next to it has that, not metal next to them.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC