What's your favorite HBB?

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
I'm in the market for a HBB for Z, 6 yrs 2 months, 57 lbs, 48.5". I had plans to keep him harnessed in his FR85 for another yr, but he had to use our spare HBB for a week and now does NOT want to go back into a harness. He has been in tears over it! I know logically that at his age & size, he is fine in a HBB, so I put my anxiety aside and removed the straps from his FR85. He fits beautifully in it in booster mode, and sits well, but I still want a dedicated HBB for him. It's been so long since I shopped for one that I am lost with all the nice new options. We have previously owned a Monterey and an older style Pkwy SG. The only booster that I've ever really felt the love for was the old style PW (the one without armrests!) for it's 3-across fit. Among the ones I'm considering right now: Cybex X-Fit, Maxi Cosi Rodifix, Parkway SGL, Recaro Performance (although it looks REALLY wide), possibly a Kiddy Cruiserfix. I'm sure there could be some nice ones that I'm missing.
All of this to ask - what is YOUR favorite HBB? If you could choose any one, which one would it be and why?

ADS

CMeMeC

If I were buying one right now, I would pick a recaro performance booster. I do not have one, but I have really liked our vivo and proboosters. I am not a big fan of the parkway we have. It is the older style (I bought it in 2012) but I don't like it enough to try the new style. I don't hate it, but I am really disappointed with it. I also have some others as well, but recaro is my favorite by a mile.

aeormsby

As long as space (width) isn't an issue I LOVE our Performance Booster. Definitely my favorite of what we have (PWSGL, Vivo, and we returned an Affix because it wasn't tall enough).

It's comfy and I have had absolutely no compatibility issues with it.

msg221

Coincidentally, I just put my godson, also "Z" (Zain), in a booster for the first time in my car (he was in a FR90). Zain is also 6 years, 2 months old, and is 47" and 51.6 lbs., as of last Sunday! I bought a Britax Parkway SGL for him. It fits him great, I love that it latches in so no worries about remembering to buckle it in all the time when unoccupied, and like Bubbaray said, he likes it! In fact, he mentioned being able to sleep in it since he could rest his head on the sides. (His mom has him in a NBB in her car). I originally bought it for him to use in his mom's car because I am not comfortable with him in the backless booster. I will probably still move it there since he's in that car more, then buy another when I get a good deal again. I bought it from Kohl's when they had a good deal with coupons and Kohl's cash but saw that they only have the SG version right now.

I also let Zain's twin sister ride in a booster too, but she's still too wiggly. I took the harness out of her Argos 70. It fits her great. Too bad she still can't sit still!

bubbaray

I personally have the pre one but have tried the new one too. I would take either. The no-vehicle headrest is a game changer for me as my vehicle headrests were incompatible with the Monterey.

Athena

I bought it from Kohl's when they had a good deal with coupons and Kohl's cash but saw that they only have the SG version right now.

What DOM did you get from Kohls? Thanks!

I personally have the pre one but have tried the new one too. I would take either. The no-vehicle headrest is a game changer for me as my vehicle headrests were incompatible with the Monterey.

Even with my new car with head rests that don't stick forward, I'm still finding it's enough to not let the whole booster backs rest on the vehicle seat. Add tall kids and my preference for latching, and the Parkway is the obvious choice. I just bought two of the 2013 model and we also have a 2012. I do find the 13 model to be nicer, with larger sides and it's cushier, but the 12 is nicer for 3 across because the sides aren't so big, and both have the good height and nice latch system that tightens, so I really like that. My new booster riding 6yo is using a 13 that fits her great and she can buckle herself and loves it.

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
My favorite HBB is the Clek Oobr. We have Parkways (2 SG models, 1 SGL), and I love them as backless boosters, but I wasn't thrilled with how my DS fit in them as highback boosters. I think they must be from 2012, though, so maybe the newer ones have more shoulder room and plus, I'm sure fit varies by kid. :)

I like the Oobr because it's fairly narrow, easy for my kids to buckle when using, and that it works with my car's headrests. :)

Last edited:

rachelandtyke

I love my Vivo. don't know what I'll get for DS when it's booster time for him since it's discontinued. My kids are small, so our choices are more limited. I am pleased with the fit we get with the Turbobooster, but don't love it. It works well for the spare in DH's car.

katymyers

I'm at least a year away from boostering Levi, but I've already started looking :p. I love Britax seats but the cover choices on the Parkway bum me out, otherwise it'd be an automatic choice for me. What about the Peg booster? I really like how it looks.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
My favorite HBB is the Clek Oobr. We have Parkways (2 SG models, 1 SGL), and I love them as backless boosters, but I wasn't thrilled with how my DS fit in them as highback boosters. I think they must be from 2012, though, so maybe the newer ones have more shoulder room and plus, I'm sure fit varies by kid. :)

I like the Oobr because it's fairly narrow, easy for my kids to buckle when using, and that it works with my car's headrests. :)

I do think that I would love the Oobr! I don't need super narrow, but not super wide either (like the Recaro Performance). The Oobr looks like it would fit in any spot that I would need it to. My only worry with it is that it isn't as deep as the FR 85. It doesn't look to me like he needs the whole depth of the FR, but he sits so well in it. The Oobr does look fantastic, though. I think the PW SG that we have is the same style as yours. I don't remember what year it's from, but it's not the current style. I'm just not happy with the fit on my DS. It always fit my now-9 yr old well, but it just doesn't fit my 6 yr old well. So, yes, I'd say you're right and that fit varies by kid.

I'm at least a year away from boostering Levi, but I've already started looking :p. I love Britax seats but the cover choices on the Parkway bum me out, otherwise it'd be an automatic choice for me. What about the Peg booster? I really like how it looks.

Oh yes! The Peg booster! I love the looks of it and I am a huge fan of the Peg convertibles! :) I wish that it didn't require a vehicle headrest, though. We do have headrests in every spot in our van, but I like having the option of taking the headrest out if it's a better fit without it, or knowing that it could be used in a vehicle without a headrest if the need arises. It is a beautiful seat, though. If it came in their aquamarine color, I probably would have already ordered it.

katymyers

I do think that I would love the Oobr! I don't need super narrow, but not super wide either (like the Recaro Performance). The Oobr looks like it would fit in any spot that I would need it to. My only worry with it is that it isn't as deep as the FR 85. It doesn't look to me like he needs the whole depth of the FR, but he sits so well in it. The Oobr does look fantastic, though. I think the PW SG that we have is the same style as yours. I don't remember what year it's from, but it's not the current style. I'm just not happy with the fit on my DS. It always fit my now-9 yr old well, but it just doesn't fit my 6 yr old well. So, yes, I'd say you're right and that fit varies by kid. Oh yes! The Peg booster! I love the looks of it and I am a huge fan of the Peg convertibles! :) I wish that it didn't require a vehicle headrest, though. We do have headrests in every spot in our van, but I like having the option of taking the headrest out if it's a better fit without it, or knowing that it could be used in a vehicle without a headrest if the need arises. It is a beautiful seat, though. If it came in their aquamarine color, I probably would have already ordered it.
OMG, I totally agree about the the aquamarine! I love that color and would kill for a booster in it. It's gorgeous :).

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
Coincidentally, I just put my godson, also "Z" (Zain), in a booster for the first time in my car (he was in a FR90). Zain is also 6 years, 2 months old, and is 47" and 51.6 lbs., as of last Sunday! I bought a Britax Parkway SGL for him. It fits him great, I love that it latches in so no worries about remembering to buckle it in all the time when unoccupied, and like Bubbaray said, he likes it! In fact, he mentioned being able to sleep in it since he could rest his head on the sides. (His mom has him in a NBB in her car). I originally bought it for him to use in his mom's car because I am not comfortable with him in the backless booster. I will probably still move it there since he's in that car more, then buy another when I get a good deal again. I bought it from Kohl's when they had a good deal with coupons and Kohl's cash but saw that they only have the SG version right now.

I also let Zain's twin sister ride in a booster too, but she's still too wiggly. I took the harness out of her Argos 70. It fits her great. Too bad she still can't sit still!

That is too funny! My "Z" is Zander, but my "E" (in my siggy) is Ezra Zane! :)

Athena

I do think that I would love the Oobr! I don't need super narrow, but not super wide either (like the Recaro Performance). The Oobr looks like it would fit in any spot that I would need it to. My only worry with it is that it isn't as deep as the FR 85. It doesn't look to me like he needs the whole depth of the FR, but he sits so well in it. The Oobr does look fantastic, though. I think the PW SG that we have is the same style as yours. I don't remember what year it's from, but it's not the current style. I'm just not happy with the fit on my DS. It always fit my now-9 yr old well, but it just doesn't fit my 6 yr old well. So, yes, I'd say you're right and that fit varies by kid.

If only the Oobr came in a bigger kid version ... I liked the idea of it - the solid construction, the rigid latch - but I could not get over the lack of depth in both the seat and the sides. I tried it when DD1 was 6.5yo and her legs stuck out so far off the seat, she looked like she would topple out of it. Plus, I was used to how the FR sides enveloped her more. She just did not look well protected in it, so I passed. Also, I wanted something taller and the Oobr's added width compared to the PKWY meant it didn't fit one of our cars as well. But if they made it deeper (both seat and sides) and taller ...

What's the problem with the fit on the PKWY?

P.S. I'd love something taller and deeper even then the PKWY that latches and does not require vehicle head rest support, but I don't think it exists. At 49" (about the height of DD1 when she tried the Oobr and a few other boosters and got a PKWY) DD2 fits the 2013 PKWY perfectly. However, at 55" DD1 doesn't look super comfortable in the PKWY as it's a bit shallow for her and she doesn't have much growing height left, so a dedicated booster that fit like the FR85 would be perfect for her. So I've always got my eye out for new booster options, but most kids at that age are riding in nothing, so I guess there isn't enough market for it.

Last edited:
I have a 2012 PW SGL and love it. I would be between that, the RodiFix and the Performance Booster, provided it's not too wide for your situation. The RodiFix looks a lot like the old PW.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
No Cybex X-Fit fans? That's honestly what I was leaning towards trying! I think it looks so great, but I've never seen it in person.

If only the Oobr came in a bigger kid version ... I liked the idea of it - the solid construction, the rigid latch - but I could not get over the lack of depth in both the seat and the sides. I tried it when DD1 was 6.5yo and her legs stuck out so far off the seat, she looked like she would topple out of it. Plus, I was used to how the FR sides enveloped her more. She just did not look well protected in it, so I passed. Also, I wanted something taller and the Oobr's added width compared to the PKWY meant it didn't fit one of our cars as well. But if they made it deeper (both seat and sides) and taller ...

What's the problem with the fit on the PKWY?

P.S. I'd love something taller and deeper even then the PKWY that latches and does not require vehicle head rest support, but I don't think it exists. At 49" (about the height of DD1 when she tried the Oobr and a few other boosters and got a PKWY) DD2 fits the 2013 PKWY perfectly. However, at 55" DD1 doesn't look super comfortable in the PKWY as it's a bit shallow for her and she doesn't have much growing height left, so a dedicated booster that fit like the FR85 would be perfect for her. So I've always got my eye out for new booster options, but most kids at that age are riding in nothing, so I guess there isn't enough market for it.

Thank you for sharing your experience with the Oobr. I definitely think it wouldn't be deep enough for him then. That's a bummer.

Keep in mind that I'm comparing the fit of the Pkwy to that of the FR85. The Pkwy has the shoulder belt too far to the edge of his shoulder and the lapbelt is higher than it is in the FR85. I wouldn't want to use it as his full time seat anyway because it doesn't latch. That doesn't mean that I'm not open to trying the new Pkwy SGL. It is definitely in the running.

I have a 2012 PW SGL and love it. I would be between that, the RodiFix and the Performance Booster, provided it's not too wide for your situation. The RodiFix looks a lot like the old PW.

The Performance Booster would be too wide for us. I need it to not be any wider than the FR85, which is 19.5". The Performance is 21.5, I think. BUT, I do appreciate the recommendation. I really do want to know what the most loved boosters are right now, and that seems to be one of them! I was wondering about the RodiFix, but it seems they're not very popular. Is that because of the price? I have to admit that it seems high compared to others.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
I was *this* close to ordering the Peg booster, the Rodifix, and the Pkwy SGL to see which one I like best. All from Amazon with free return shipping. I brought DS in to choose which color he liked best in each and the ONLY one he likes the looks of is the Peg in Licorice. A boy after my own heart, lol.

Athena

No Cybex X-Fit fans? That's honestly what I was leaning towards trying! I think it looks so great, but I've never seen it in person.

I'm trying to remember why we didn't try it, but it may have been lack of cup holders. :D

Keep in mind that I'm comparing the fit of the Pkwy to that of the FR85. The Pkwy has the shoulder belt too far to the edge of his shoulder and the lapbelt is higher than it is in the FR85. I wouldn't want to use it as his full time seat anyway because it doesn't latch. That doesn't mean that I'm not open to trying the new Pkwy SGL. It is definitely in the running.

Interesting. Is it the 2012 or the previous model? I'm trying to remember if I've tried DD2 in our 2012, but the 2013 fits her well and she's slimmer (slightly taller and several pounds lighter) than your DS, so I would think it would fit better in the ways your describing. I could try her in our FR85 or 2012 SGL for fit comparison, so if that info would help you at all, feel free to ask. I may do it anyway because you've peaked my curiosity. ;) If you get a new one, you're getting the SGL with latch? I really like having that.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC