Mazda 5 IIHS crash results

DawgDad

Manufacturers are not kicking and screaming. A manufacturer knows they need to put safe vehicles on the road, not only for the safety of their customers but to stay in business.
What the manufacturers may be kicking and screaming about is the different tests that are being done at varying times - the target keeps getting moved and it's difficult to keep up. A manufacturer can put out a new model that they spent years and a load of $$$$ developing, that passes all the tests on the market - then shortly after its release a new crash simulation is developed and it doesn't do well. Their name is drug through the media and they have to go back to the drawing bored to improve their scores. All while staying competitive price wise (which is a whole different thread all together) - it's a huge task, an enormous task, one that manufacturers don't take lightly but also one where the playing field isn't always level for them.

I disagree to an extent. Sure the safety commissions might finally test for something, but it's not like it isn't known how cars crash. At the end of the day, if the manufacturer doesn't have to make it, then they won't make it. It costs money to change/alter the car to make it a safer vehicle while still appeasing to a "cool style." The overlap test isn't something that hasn't been known to manufacturers for years. Cars rarely hit square, but usually at the angles because drivers try to avoid at the last second. They know it.

The target isn't blind, its known. They just choose not to get out in front of it and make it their mainstay because safety isn't sexy. Volvo has tried to make it...but they haven't been widely successful. :(

ADS

SavsMom

I disagree to an extent. Sure the safety commissions might finally test for something, but it's not like it isn't known how cars crash. At the end of the day, if the manufacturer doesn't have to make it, then they won't make it. It costs money to change/alter the car to make it a safer vehicle while still appeasing to a "cool style." The overlap test isn't something that hasn't been known to manufacturers for years. Cars rarely hit square, but usually at the angles because drivers try to avoid at the last second. They know it.

The target isn't blind, its known. They just choose not to get out in front of it and make it their mainstay because safety isn't sexy. Volvo has tried to make it...but they haven't been widely successful. :(

I can appreciate your point of view but I do disagree. Knowing a few people who work on the design teams at 2 manufacturers and having been born, raised and formerly employed in the auto industry my view and knowledge is a bit different to say the least.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Cars rarely hit square, but usually at the angles because drivers try to avoid at the last second. They know it.

Sorry to diverge-

Full-width or full-engagement crashes, the type that is similar to the NHTSA frontal crash, are generally considered the most common type of frontal crash, followed closely by large offset crashes. That is why the full-width frontal test was essentially the first to be done. Moderate and small offset crashes are less common, but have similar risks for serious injuries as the full and large offset crashes.

It isn't required that two vehicles hit perfectly square with no side momentum. But, the engagement is supposed to encompass a substantial portion of the vehicle frame and be centered between the frame rails. That puts a considerable force on the occupants and restraint systems to reduce injury compared to moderate and small offset crashes where intrusion tends to be as important.

PlaysInDirt

On higher test scores vs lower -

I try installing car seats. If the seat can't install tight in the "good" car then is rock solid in the "worse" car, it doesn't matter how much better the "good" car is. If the seat isn't locked in, I have bigger problems than a 3 star rated car.

If seats install equally and I can handle the cars equally well - yes, the higher test scores are important.

It's been fun there. Got rear ended into traffic that hit driver side full on. I hurt like hell, dislocated my left thumb when I tried to jerk the wheel to spin the van to avoid the second hit, some nice cuts from glass. The boys, other than being terrified and screaming from it, were all fine. I did have to yell at witnesses to not take them out of their seats, and then was trying to un LATCH the seats one handed. That was a fun ambulance ride, they buckled the seats to the stretcher. Not sure how well that worked but the twins had calmed down and just wanted to nap as it was past nap time.

Not fun at all. Had the van for two months. Now I need to find a new something. But you can RF three across in a Mazda 5 if you seatbelt install baseless Aton 2, the cheap Walmart convertible, baseless Aton 2. Then I need to replace the cheap one as kid hates it. The twins shockingly enough are happy in the Aton 2 vs their prior hysteria in infant seats.

soygurl

Ugh. I am almost 100% settled on getting a Mazda 5 ('09-'13 probably). It's really the only good option for me. These lousy crash test results are making me want to reconsider, but I know I've already gone over my other options, so I guess I'm just going to have to focus on how much safER a 5 will be, than the '97 Hyundai Accent hatchback it'll be replacing. No contest right?

lgenne

Ugh. I am almost 100% settled on getting a Mazda 5 ('09-'13 probably). It's really the only good option for me. These lousy crash test results are making me want to reconsider, but I know I've already gone over my other options, so I guess I'm just going to have to focus on how much safER a 5 will be, than the '97 Hyundai Accent hatchback it'll be replacing. No contest right?

Pretty much exactly my line of thinking, except that mine is hindsight. This car fits my family way better than any other car available. Even if we could afford to trade it in for something else...what would we trade it for? Also, so much better than the car it replaced, in pretty much every way measurable.

Kamy04

Ugh, Ds1 (and soon to be DS2) ride in Mazda 5s with the grandparents every week. DS1 is FF in a Classic Marathon in it. Makes me want to put the MySize in their car, but DH is a terrible driver so I like it in his car :p. Sigh, now I will worry.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Siiiiiiiiigh.
I love my 5, so much better than my 2003 Ody, at least in terms of gas mileage, steering, and not making a grinding brake sound at every stop.... Let me stick my head in the sand and pretend that it's so nimble and agile I can just avoid any crash. :duck:

Roadmaster

We have a 2010 mazda5 and looking back at the NHTSA ratings everything looks good. I guess the IIHS didn't test it back then? Does this only apply to the 2012 redesign and after?

Thinking of trading in for a same year Sienna or something. So close to paying it off, too...

nataliem257

We have a 2010 mazda5 and looking back at the NHTSA ratings everything looks good. I guess the IIHS didn't test it back then? Does this only apply to the 2012 redesign and after?

Thinking of trading in for a same year Sienna or something. So close to paying it off, too...

I didn't know the NHTSA had ever tested the 5, can you link me?

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador

Well the problem is, that you can't compare that NHTSA 2010 crash test to an IIHS test. The tests are different. The Mazda5 did poor in the small overlap test which is a brand new test, and if you look at how its IIHS side rating was given an M is because that's an overall rating based on the fact that some of the side injury measures were Marginal, Acceptable and Poor while others were Good. The 2010 NHTSA side crash test is based only on chest injury so not near as inclusive as the current IIHS side test.

As well, even NHTSA has changed their crash testing starting 2011. So you can't even compare an NHTSA 2011 or newer crash test with an NHTSA 2010 or older crash test.

Now, that being said, the IIHS tests apply to the 2012-2014 models as the vehicle was the same for those years so testing the current model, applies to that range of years. So, the 2010 may be different. But really, you just can't compare the 2010 results to any current test since the 2010 NHTSA tests were not based on the same factors.

This Consumer Reports article http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2011/08/crash-test-101/index.htm talks about the changes to the NHTSA crash tests and how some vehicles that received 5 stars in the old system, were getting 3 stars in the new system.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC