Mazda 5 IIHS crash results

nataliem257

The admin's post about the new IIHS crash results prompted a google search, and this is what I found --

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/iihs-tests-show-mazda5-is-unsafe-in-a-crash-video-84587.html

Holy crap. Freaking out doesn't even begin to cover it -- that 2nd row side impact video made me nauseous, thats where my 5 year old rides in her frontier. :( Someone calm me down because I'm seriously considering trading my car in. I knew there wasn't any crash testing on the 5 but I heard the car performed well in the European testing -- the airbag didn't go off?????? I know there are a lot of other members who drive this car, am I overreacting??

ADS

bubbaray

Mazda just announced an airbag recall. Virtually every manufacturer is dealing with airbag recalls right now.

I didn't watch the video yet but IIHS crash ratings are important to me. I'm not sure what I would do.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
On one hand, many vehicles have not done well on the new IIHS small overlap test, especially those designed even a few years ago. This type of crash is supposedly less common than the IIHS moderate overlap or NHTSA's full width frontal crash, so perhaps not as much of a concern in the grand scheme of things.

Even so, it looks like the Mazda5 did VERY poorly, and of even more concern, it also earned a Marginal rating in the IIHS side impact test. Plus, it is still untested by the NHTSA.

It is nice to see a couple fuel efficient vehicles in the Chevrolet Volt and Ford C-Max do fairly well in the latest round of IIHS testing, though.

nataliem257

On one hand, many vehicles have not done well on the new IIHS small overlap test, especially those designed even a few years ago. This type of crash is supposedly less common than the IIHS moderate overlap or NHTSA's full width frontal crash, so perhaps not as much of a concern in the grand scheme of things.

Even so, it looks like the Mazda5 did VERY poorly, and of even more concern, it also earned a Marginal rating in the IIHS side impact test. Plus, it is still untested by the NHTSA.

It is nice to see a couple fuel efficient vehicles in the Chevrolet Volt and Ford C-Max do fairly well in the latest round of IIHS testing, though.

The small overlap doesn't concern me as much because I know a lot of vehicles are performing poorly, and it will more than likely affect the driver (me) more so than other passenger, and the nature of the injuries caused by the poor performers seem to be leg related, and don't seem to be fatal. The side impact rating, in addition to the airbag not deploying, concerns me much much more. Those are my kids riding next those doors. It being the only vehicle on the road to not pass the test is beyond unacceptable.

teekadog

Ouch. $hit.

I have a 6yo in a Frontier in that spot. After seeing that I feel better having him there than my 11 or 9yo there in a nbb :shrug-shoulders: At this point there's not much else I can do. Anyone want to give me a 2014 Honda Odyssey instead :whistling:

nataliem257

The irony is that the Mazda 3 is the best performing small car they've tested, and the Mazda 5 has essentially the same wheel base. I feel confident they'll fix it in 2016, most of their cars perform well. It did get a good rating in roof strength and moderate overlap. I'm severely upside down so a trade right now isn't really an option unless I went for an older car which might cause more problems than it fixes. I'm just going to throw as much money at it as I can between now and then and trade up when they work their stuff out, and keep a look out for the airbag recall that will likely result from the "investigation". In the mean time would I be nuts to upgrade from an 85 to a pinnacle for my almost 6 year old?:whistle:

teekadog

You can always use a Pinnacle in your next car so I would consider it an investment!

I've always felt the 5 is actually held back by being built on the 3. I bet a 5 built to be a 5 from the ground up would ROCK.

DawgDad

I would sincerely expect a recall very soon on the airbags...that's way too bad of a test to ignore. I really hope they make a statement very soon that can help you guys who have one, have some more peace of mind. Mazda has been one of the few manufacturers to take criticism and make honest of it instead of shrugging it off like a few others have in the past. That, and the Mazda 5 is due for a redesign, so hopefully a lot of it will get addressed.

I will say again, this really is a shock to me as I can see it has shocked a lot of you guys who follow safety even more than I do. This is a car I have openly suggested on this site and others as a viable offering to a budget & eco conscious family who needs more room in their car for their children. As Darren pointed out, the Ford C-Maxx may be my new suggestion as it seems to on the larger side for small, fuel efficient vehicles.

teekadog

The problem with the c-max, and the other cars that tested better, is that I would have to tie one of my kids to the bumper. Or hood. Or wherever. If Ford had brought over the Grand c-max well okay then. But they didn't. So I guess I have to hope the transit connect gets good gas mileage and tests well? And get over that it's... Not my style lol. So frustrating to have so few choices. I really I have a niche need but the 5 supposedly met that need perfectly! (Pity party over)

Aurezalia

Wow. Wow wow wow. This is scary. :(
I have a 2010... I wonder how the results translate to the previous gen model. I doubt we'll ever know, but this makes me very nervous. I have no choice but to drive this vehicle for a few more years.
I am starting to look at vehicles for my next purchase in a few years though, and only taking ones that do good on all tests including the small overlap test. Non-negotiable for me. I guess I'll just cross my fingers and hope for the next 3-4 years. :/

amyd

Crap:(. I've got a Frontier in my 5 too. Now I want to buy a new Diono and turn him back RFing. Or buy a Pinnacle. Or just never drive again. Blech.

Dillipop

It's still likely better than the 99 Buick we replaced with only front air bags.

While disappointing to see, it's still a modern vehicle and should provide protection in a crash, especially if the occupants are properly restrained. I may put my boys back into high back boosters and keep my daughter rearfacing even longer but overall, it's still the right car for our situation- esp. If they recall the airbags.

katymyers

It's still likely better than the 99 Buick we replaced with only front air bags. While disappointing to see, it's still a modern vehicle and should provide protection in a crash, especially if the occupants are properly restrained. I may put my boys back into high back boosters and keep my daughter rearfacing even longer but overall, it's still the right car for our situation- esp. If they recall the airbags.
:yeahthat: I still feel better about mine than I did about my '00 Pontiac Montana. Right now our plan is to use our entire tax return next year as a down payment and trade in Josh's car on as new of an Odyssey as we can manage and then he's getting the Mazda. I still love that car and I still feel safe in it, though four Foonfs to rear face all my kids is seeming pretty attractive at the moment lol.

nataliem257

It's still likely better than the 99 Buick we replaced with only front air bags.

While disappointing to see, it's still a modern vehicle and should provide protection in a crash, especially if the occupants are properly restrained. I may put my boys back into high back boosters and keep my daughter rearfacing even longer but overall, it's still the right car for our situation- esp. If they recall the airbags.

That's a very good point. Even the cars that don't perform well are still likely statistically safer than cars even 5 years ago. I'm over my initial knee jerk reaction that wanted me to immediately run to nearest dealership to unload my death trap, and I'm now focused on paying as much towards my note as possible so I can afford to upgrade to the newly designed version whenever that comes out. I do still love it overall. I feel confident mazda will address the issues quickly and efficiently, they have 3 top safety pick pluses in their current lineup so obviously they are capable of designing a safe car.

lgenne

Yikes. Ok, my 2 yo is never FFing. Reminding myself that the 2014 Mazda 5 is definitely safer than the 2001 Protégé it replaced.

And maybe we should swap the FF R100 in the Mazda 5 with the FR90 that's currently in the 2013 Odyssey.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Crap:(. I've got a Frontier in my 5 too. Now I want to buy a new Diono and turn him back RFing. Or buy a Pinnacle. Or just never drive again. Blech.

:thumbsup:

Rear-facing definitely mitigates a lot of risk in a side impact!

I agree that a [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Britax-Pinnacle-Booster-Seat-Broadway/dp/B00BEVF2L6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406775727&sr=8-1&keywords=britax+pinnacle"]Amazon.com : Britax Pinnacle 90 Booster Car Seat, Broadway : Child Safety Booster Car Seats : Baby[/ame] with a properly adjusted 5-point harness and the side impact cushions should be a pretty good option for an outboard seating position as well.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC