new seat for plane canada

Lee-B-

I need a new seat for the plane ASAP since my husband is no longer able to come for our trip to visit family this Friday.

We have a Radian RXT that I have no desire to try and wrangle through the airport without my husband with my 16month old in tow. I am not bringing a stroller...just my kid (at times strapped to my chest and a backpack on my back.

I considered buying a car seat cart at first but figure the money is better spent on a different seat since we only have one and a second will come in handy for other cars etc.

I see an Titan 65 for $99 at walmart up the street. Is that a decent choice? She is about 25lb, close to 33inches. She rear faces in the car and will for sometime but I will FF on the plane.

I see a Sureride which I kind of prefer but it says it can only be used to 32" rear facing? that true...seems odd...she outgrew that already.

Budget is $0 ideally so cheaper the better!

ADS

T4K

I wheel my radian on a luggage cart all the time by myself. I always have a backpack, too.

Have you tried a luggage cart? That's about the cheapest solution.

SnoGurl

I agree on the luggage cart, however if a different car seat is preferred, the Titan65/Sureride is probably your best bet. It rearfaces to 40" or 40 lbs, however I don't know how well it fits rear-facing on the different planes. You could also try the Evenflo Tribute, it's not as long lasting, but I believe it is more compact. Rearfaces to 37".

At the end of your post, are you referring to the scenera? It only rearfaces to 32". The Sureride has the same limits as the Titan65, just some different covers/padding.

Lee-B-

I agree on the luggage cart, however if a different car seat is preferred, the Titan65/Sureride is probably your best bet. It rearfaces to 40" or 40 lbs, however I don't know how well it fits rear-facing on the different planes. You could also try the Evenflo Tribute, it's not as long lasting, but I believe it is more compact. Rearfaces to 37".

At the end of your post, are you referring to the scenera? It only rearfaces to 32". The Sureride has the same limits as the Titan65, just some different covers/padding.

Sorry you're correct it was the Scenera I noted has a 32" rear face. Thanks for confirming...I thought it must have been a typo as it just seems so low a height limit!

To simplify things on the plane I will just forward face her. Will likely go with the Titan 65 then as it is a good $40 cheaper and won't get a lot of use as the Radian is the main seat.

Lee-B-

I wheel my radian on a luggage cart all the time by myself. I always have a backpack, too.

Have you tried a luggage cart? That's about the cheapest solution.

The only carts I can find are all $50-75. Not much less than a seat and it will not get much use since it's only used for air travel. If go the new seat route it will get more use so seems like the way to go.

I figure if my daughter is on my chest, our backpack on my back then I can just carry the car seat in my hand (possibly just in one of those heavy duty blue IKEA bags for handles. Won't be fun but it's really just to get use through security and to the gate...then between gates at our lay over. We can then plop it down and wait for our flight. The Radian is like 27lbs...it seems like these other seats are 11-13lbs. That just seems much. much more feasible!

SnoGurl

Sorry you're correct it was the Scenera I noted has a 32" rear face. Thanks for confirming...I thought it must have been a typo as it just seems so low a height limit!

To simplify things on the plane I will just forward face her. Will likely go with the Titan 65 then as it is a good $40 cheaper and won't get a lot of use as the Radian is the main seat.

It is very low and it's too bad because it's such a convenient little seat. I was very sad when it was outgrown.

The sureride is a great seat with long lasting limits for both rear and forward facing, so it's a great buy especially just for occasional use. Have a great trip!

Lee-B-

I would absolutely take a stroller and use your RN.

Ok...my first thought was that won't work because we only have a tiny umbrella stroller that someone gave us and we've never used and it wouldn't work with a radian. And we have a massive BOB which is too big to be gate checked ...so again wouldn't work.

BUT maybe you're on to something and I can buy a mid-sized used stroller. Can get one pretty cheap I'm sure and it would help with many aspects of the whole airport thing carry both the radian and the carry on bag. I can wear my daughter. Then at gate check the stroller throw backpack on my back and bring the radian onboard. Should work. Will be much cheaper as I can get a stroller used not a car seat. And we can make use of the stroller for many things in the future.

Thanks so much!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC