Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Question Non-emergency transport shuttle van with toddlers

Hi, I work for a company that provides non-emergency transportation to elderly disabled and/or developmental/physically disabled adults. Sometimes, however, our clients may have small children that require car seats. Our transportation service is NOT public transportation; it is more like a privately owned/non-profit shuttle service. The vehicle is a van with a wheelchair lift.
    Here is my question:
    If a client has toddlers that normally require car seats, can we legally transport these children without car seats?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPS Technician LISmama810's Avatar
    Hi there!

Whether or not that's legal will probably depend on your state and the type of vehicle (possibly including how many seating positions).

Regardless, it likely isn't SAFE to transport children without seats. To protect yourself from the liability that comes with that, I'd try to meet with a Child Passenger Safety Technician in your area. If you provide your location, we might be able to provide more information.

In my state, the same seat belt and child passenger restraint laws would apply to your vehicle because it sounds like it carries 15 or fewer passengers.

I would suggest getting something to keep in the van and learning how to use it. Something like Uber has done with the portable IMMI Go seat in NYC and Philadelphia. Your drivers would need to be trained in how to install the seat. A child passenger safety technician in your area should be able to help with that.
    Mom to 2 adults and 2 little kids.
    Tall 8 year old in Incognito; Petite 3 year old RF in CA65

▄ber drivers have car seats?!
    Mama to Baby Girl N - two years old
    Loving Stepmother of wonderful girls, H-9 and S-5

Senior Community Member aeormsby's Avatar

Re: Non-emergency transport shuttle van with toddlers

Quote Originally Posted by T4K View Post
    ▄ber drivers have car seats?!
    Yes, The Car Seat Lady has had posts on her facebook page (she's the one who trained the drivers on installation).
    Ann

DD - 1/06 - 5-stepping
    DS - 12/07 - Incognito, Recaro Performance Booster & Harmony Literiders
    And a Bubble Bum for backup/travel