Help! DS2 hates the car/car seat

Kamy04

Okay, I'm losing my mind. DS2 haaaaaates the car/car seat. Total opposite of DS1.

He was a preemie, but no NICU. He is 8 weeks today and is probably around 8lbs. 19 inches, probably a little longer now.

He is in a Keyfit30. I tried removing the shoulder pads, the headrest, put soft dangly toys he loves up (desperation, I know it's a projectile), put the handle in a different position. Ugh. He's young, so no good head control.

He is kinda refluxy, but hasn't been bad lately. He never spits up in the seat.

Took DS1 to camp today and then picked him up, 20 minutes each way...he never stopped screaming. Basically 1.5 hours of screaming this morning.

I have a cocorro...do you think maybe he hates the bucket? I also have an r120, but it probably wouldn't fit well at newborn incline. I also have Sceneras and a MySize70. Lol.

(Side question: I have the opportunity to get a Combi Flash stroller for $10. Worth it?)

ADS
Re: the stroller, YES. $10 is highway robbery for a flash.

I'd try the CCO and see if it makes any difference. It's worth a try! Screaming baby in the car is not fun :(

arly1983

My boys hated the car and hated the bucket even more. They liked a convertible better for whatever reason. They still fussed but very little of the previous constant screaming. I'd say it's worth a shot. I'd try the coccoro first and then size4me.

cookie123

Maybe a less confining seat? Maybe up higher so there is a view? Good luck. That totally sucks. Have a talk with him!

MotoMommaNH

I feel your pain. 9 week old DD is in a Keyfit and previously had no issues except the past week she's been crying almost every single time we are in the car. I know she's not hungry and I've already had to move the straps up and take the insert out since she's 12lbs 12oz and a big girl so I don't know if maybe she's not comfy....

I'd try the Coccoro if you have the opportunity to get a Flash especially! I'm tossing around the idea of putting my MA70 in except I think DH would miss the bucket seat. Maybe I'll just wait it out to see if it passes as a phase. :rolleyes:

GOOD LUCK!

Kamy04

Tried the CO. He did seem to like it better, but I can't deal with the inconvience of getting him out all the time, lol. Plus I felt like his head was at a weird angle, even with the headrest removed.

Put him back in the Keyfit today without the headrest and put the canopy back and he was a little better. Who knows!

I will probably go back and forth, lol. They are both easy to install. Picked up the Flash today ;)

shellwelly

Both of my kids hated their infant seat at the beginning until I figured out how to swaddle them in it. Basically strapped them in as usually, fully tightened, then wrapped a muslin swaddling blanket around them and under their back to keep it tight on their arms. Worked wonders for my kids, who loved being swaddled outside the car seat till 4 months or older. Good luck.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC