Safety First Guide 65? Do you like it?

bnsnyde

Do you like it?

I just ordered it since I need to replace a seat. It'll be a sometimes seat and might move between vehicles.

So, it's coming tomorrow. I hope it's a neat seat!

The other spare we have is way too heavy to even deal with and remain practical.

Last edited:
ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Personally, I dislike it. I don't like the way the headrest pushes forward kids' heads, especially as they get bigger, and I don't like the install much (same as most Dorel seats) for RF. I personally prefer the SureRide for a budget seat, for oh so many reasons! But some people hate the SR, it's all personal preference. :)

I had one very briefly and was so-so about it. It was nice for ERF but a PITA to install sometimes and the headrest sits so far forward that it can push the child's head forward a little. I really think it fits a niche, though, and is great for the price!

creideamh

Personally, I dislike it. I don't like the way the headrest pushes forward kids' heads, especially as they get bigger, and I don't like the install much (same as most Dorel seats) for RF. I personally prefer the SureRide for a budget seat, for oh so many reasons! But some people hate the SR, it's all personal preference. :)

Agreed completely.

bnsnyde

OK, well I'll see how I like it.

The current seat we have is pretty upright RF (Orbit toddler) so maybe I'm used to that.

I like the pretty purple at any rate!
And if it's good for ERF, then that's great!
I tend to get used to even the difficult installs if I do it enough.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It's not the upright- I don't mind an upright install/seat. In fact I prefer it. No matter the angle you put the Guide at, though, when you get to the higher settings especially, the seat pushes the head forward at a quite extreme angle.

bnsnyde

Did they not test this thing?

That sounds awful.
I am not an engineer but if I saw a seat did that to a child's head, and I worked for a company, well...yikes.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I hear it was done on purpose. You know, like active head restraints in cars...

But other companies whose seats are designed that way don't have it so... extreme.

bnsnyde

Ah, I see.

As for install, I use seatbelt. I find it so much easier with most (but not all) seats.

But if my child can't nap in the seat, then truly I am not happy!

1mommy

My oldest son rf in it and has no problems other then the occasional head flop when sleeping, it's not my favorite seat to install and needs noodles, but isn't That bad. I have a friends son (17 months) who has the Eddie Bauer version and ff without complaint so I guess it varies from kid to kid and depending on the car. I bought it because I needed a low profile and compact seat that was also cheap and would last a long time... it works for us *shrugs*. I did try out the SureRide and found it easier to install and generally liked it better because the sides gave my son a place to rest his head when sleeping, and if you get it on sale it's roughly the same price but it didn't fit so I returned it.

oliviacw

I have one as the lightweight travel seat for my 3 year old. She is still rear-facing and does well in it that way so far. I have also installed it forward-facing for a couple of plane flights, and it installs well on the plane either way.

Overall it's fine - I find it to be an easy install in either direction, and my daughter has had no complaints about comfort. When she sleeps in it, the head rest does cause head slump, but it doesn't seem to be a problem at other times.

For a while I actually had it as the main seat in my car, but she missed the cupholders from her other seat (a MyRide 65), so now it's just for travel.

SavsMom

Agree 100%

cookie123

Matthew used to always sit with his head away from the seat. I thought it might be nice for that type of kiddo. I never got one though.

plagermand

I must be the oddball because i love my Guide 65. Google the noodless install or Google Guide 65 mini review CSFTL and that will bring up a video where you install by getting behind the seat and using your hips to help. I never need noodles or towels for any vehicle we have used so far and takes about two minutes each time either LATCH or belt. Both my 2 year old and small 4 year old still fit rf in it. Decent material and not too shallow and sides aren't too high.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'm very familiar with the noodleless install, it's not a new technique. It doesn't work in all vehicles- super contoured back seats will cause slippage over time, and leather can be an issue too if it's quite slippery. I don't like the install with or without noodles. I prefer one that stays put without all that effort.

kaharris83

I have one as the lightweight travel seat for my 3 year old. She is still rear-facing and does well in it that way so far. I have also installed it forward-facing for a couple of plane flights, and it installs well on the plane either way.

Overall it's fine - I find it to be an easy install in either direction, and my daughter has had no complaints about comfort. When she sleeps in it, the head rest does cause head slump, but it doesn't seem to be a problem at other times.

For a while I actually had it as the main seat in my car, but she missed the cupholders from her other seat (a MyRide 65), so now it's just for travel.

It is our travel seat too. We've used it several times both rear and forward facing with no problems. We have never used a noodle. I prefer it to our Sureride because it is more compact.

ebp913

I'm very familiar with the noodleless install, it's not a new technique. It doesn't work in all vehicles- super contoured back seats will cause slippage over time, and leather can be an issue too if it's quite slippery. I don't like the install with or without noodles. I prefer one that stays put without all that effort.

Thus was my problem. I'd get a solid install but it would move after a few uses.

tiggercat

It is ok, if it fits your car and your kid. I am not a big fan for personal use. I also have a Titan 65 for back up for my long torsoed 4yo.

SavsMom

Exactly.
I'm not a tech but do have friends that ask for seat recommendations. I prefer recommending a seat that allows a simple install without the need for noodles or a tedious install.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC