Van help

Kobain's Mommy

Last year I was in an accident with my 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan. I LOVED that van. We didn't have time to really shop for a new vehicle so we just got a 2003 GMC Envoy XL. Which I hate. I miss the space, storage and feeling of my van. The Envoy is almost paid off so we are going to start saving up for a good down payment on a new to us van. I like having no car payment, or as small as possible.

I've been looking at Honda Odysseys online, but haven't found anything that says if they have something like Caravan/T&C's stow n go. That is what really sold me on my van. We had the captain's seat on driver's side stowed and used the cuby on the passenger's side for storage (I keep clothes, diapers, wipes, and some other things in the van/envoy at all times just in case). I have DD in passenger's captain chair and DS in third row behind her in the van. I liked that set up. So when I was by myself I could load both kids from 1 door.

I know people love their Odysseys, but I loved the storage of my Caravan. So honestly storage will be a big factor. As well I need it to store the seats nicely in the van like Caravan/T&Cs do.

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I've rented a few Dodge Grand Caravans in the last couple years. Honestly, in my opinion, the only two advantages I find are the Stow 'n' Go and that they can be much less expensive for base models and on the used market, where Odyssey and Sienna are almost always overpriced. Those are pretty big factors for many buyers, and really they aren't so far behind in other areas, but I still like the Odyssey for flexibility in hauling a few kids or more. The Volkswagen Routan is a variant of the Town & Country, but I believe Chrysler still doesn't put Stow 'n' Go in the versions they provide for VW.

At least in the base models the rentals use, I'm always shocked at how the dash and front seat area look like they haven't updated it since 1990. The crash test results from the NHTSA aren't quite as good as Odyssey and still no small overlap test yet, either. Also no frontal crash protection system like they have available in the very nicely designed Durango.

Other than that, I have no major complaints about the Grand Caravan; it's pretty decent all around, especially on higher trim levels, I just prefer the Odyssey and Sienna a bit more overall, personally. It is also overdue for an all-new model, as it was released in 2008 and refreshed in 2011.

MommyShannon

No, the Ody doesn't have that. I have an '06 so I will describe what it has which should basically match the '06-'10.
The 8th seat is small and can easily be removed. Then you can slide the passenger side captain's chair over toward the middle. That creates nice access to the 3rd row. There is a bit of storage in front of the second row . It's a circle spot with a lazy Susan in it. It's only a few inches deep. It used to be where the spare tire was for the Ody and that's the size of the hole still. We have the touring so instead of the 8th seat it has a center console in the 2nd row with storage. I keep it out mostly so I can slide the seats over. The well in the back is nice and deep when the 3rd row is up.
To me the big pluses are more top tethers and better compatibility for boosters.

DawgDad

They don't have extra stow storage in any Odyssey under the floor. If that's the selling feature you need, then get the T&C/Caravan. I think most people who buy the Odyssey over the Dodge/Chrysler/VW versions of the car are doing so because it's a superior ride. Just test driving between the two would show that in a heart beat, but you pay more for that in comparison. Also, if you have multiple children, the Odyssey fits them easier in car seats and allows you to configure more ways of safely installing your children's seats in the car while maximizing the comfort for everyone.

There are a few new features that are in the newest Odyssey that you might like and even in the new 2015 Sienna (they are finally getting tethers back in the 3rd row), but you would have to resign the fact that you won't have stow-n-go, but just more room in general in those two vans over the Dodge/Chrysler/VW option. Definitely visit YouTube to look at a few comparison videos...will give you a good reference on what is different.

DawgDad

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPy2Yls8t8A"]2014 T&C S[/ame]

Found a review of the 2014 T&C S (which has a fixed suspension to help the T&C not have such massive roll like it has always had). It's a very unbiased review which is helpful as many online are from dealerships who come at it from a slanted perspective. Watch through to the end though...CPSDarren was on point with the safety bit.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Looks like no update for 2015, and rumor is that Dodge is supposedly dropping the Grand Caravan after that. Apparently the all-new 2016 model will only be marketed as the Chrysler Town & Country.

Jackie010307

I didn't see ages for kids, sorry if I missed it! I will say we have rented a caravan with stow and go. My older son was the only non booster/car seat child at the time and his review of the stow and go seat was "it's cool that it folds like that but it's got to be the hardest most uncomfortable seat I've ever sat in in a car". Just a thought if someone will be sitting in it for extended periods. In order for it to be compact enough to fold it is less padded. Obviously not a problem for a child still in a car seat or booster, but possibly a lot of complaining later.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC