Back pain in RXT?

keri1292

Has anyone else had trouble with the Diono RXT and back pain in a RFing toddler? We had a 4 hour trip and the 3½yo was crying in pain. He's had bruising there before, but this is the first time that I realized that it may be from the RXT. Red strap is tucked away. I'm a little baffled. I started looking at other seats and I'm not terribly impressed with the padding. He moved from a Britax Marathon that expired and never once complained.

ADS

jjordan

Wow, I have never noticed that with my kids! Poor guy! From the bruising, can you tell what part of the seat is bothering him?

sunnydayz

Yes, my ds had this too in the XTSL. I never did figure out what the exact cause was. From what he could articulate, the flat straight back of that seat made a pressure point on a spot on his back. He was around 3.5 when he started complaining. He preferred 'C' shaped seats.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I also have not observed this personally and have no other advice to give if there is nothing obvious poking or pressing on the child. I also apologize that your thread got buried without a response for so long:-( Also, I moved this thread to Carseat Chat for more visibility.

MUTigers

My DD has never complained of back pain from her RXT and we have done 3 12-17 hour each way trips and countless 5 hour each way trips. I have on occasion noticed a small red spot on her back and often wondered if it bothered her but the second I ask I'll never get her in the seat again.

Could you try a small hand towel folded once behind that spot on his back to give it a little more cushioning but not be compressible in a crash?

keri1292

Funny that this got bumped, he just started complaining again last week. We had 20 more minutes to go in our 4 hour trip and we had to stop and hang out at Target. I'm going to grab a picture next time and see if you have any ideas. For now, a sweatshirt seems to help give him a smidge more padding.

vtbecca

We never had that seat, but my boys all have spines that bow slightly out at the bottom. Maybe yours does too? I think anything hard against their backs would hurt more and create bruising.

I remember when looking at car seats most of them really were disappointing in the seat/lower back padding. Britax was fully padded all the way so that is usually what we went with. I'm not sure why they often skimp on padding for seats holding children.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC